HighsideClyde
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2007 Honda VT750 DC Shadow Spirit

One piece vs. two piece riding suits?

#1 Unread post by HighsideClyde »

I'm looking to buy a Klim or Aerostitch riding suit. Need pros/cons of 1 vs. 2 piece suits and also brand recommendations. I'm a cruiser rider starting to to do more and longer distance tips. I usually wear leathers but I hate putting on rain gear. I'd like to try a textile waterproof suit with optional armor. Thanks in advance for your comments/recommendations!

Alex1759
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: 2021 Ducati Monster 659 ABS

Re: One piece vs. two piece riding suits?

#2 Unread post by Alex1759 »

it depends on the type of riding you do. if you only ride at the track, get a one-piece suit. two-piece suit is what you want for street riding. something like this. it is suitable for the track as well.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#3 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Personally, I prefer a 2 piece that zippers together. Stopping for bathroom breaks in a 1 piece is a no go. (pun not intended). Also, if you stop some where for coffee or food and it's hot out, taking the jacket off is easy....as opposed to a 1 piece that you'd have to tie around your waist.
I carry a cable and lock and can put the cable through the sleeves (and helmet) to lock the jacket and helmet to the bike.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#4 Unread post by jstark47 »

My wife has an Aerostich Roadcrafter one-piece.
- it is expensive
- it is cold in winter and hot in summer (but just right spring and fall)
- it is bulky
- it was stiff when new, takes a while to break in
- getting in and out of it can be a chore

However-
- it is made specifically for you to your measurements
- it is excellent crash protection (note- accessory pads for back, knees, etc are sold separately, don't cheap out on these)
- it will last a lifetime. Practically indestructible, and if you do damage it, Aerostich will repair it.

I prefer separates, so I use an Aerostich Darien jacket and DarienLite pants. In winter, that is. In summer I wear Rev'it mesh pants and a Teknic mesh jacket. Less protection than the Aerostich stuff, but I"m prone to heat exhaustion so I have to balance the risks.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Slone524
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: suplendor

#5 Unread post by Slone524 »

A one-piece suit will offer you full protection for your body and will not flap due to air resistance when you are riding your motorcycle. On the other hand, a two-piece suit offers both flexibility and protection. The additional advantage with a two-piece suit is that you get more slots to store your items.

Glenn48
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
My Motorcycle: ninja

#6 Unread post by Glenn48 »

HighsideClyde wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:14 am I'm looking to buy a Klim or Aerostitch riding suit. Need pros/cons of 1 vs. 2 piece suits and also brand recommendations. I'm a cruiser rider starting to to do more and longer distance tips. I usually wear leathers but I hate putting on rain gear. I'd like to try a textile waterproof suit with optional armor. Thanks in advance for your comments/recommendations!
Two piece....pockets
One piece.....No pockets

Two Piece.....Bike Nights & Chicks
One Piece....look Silly at Bike Nights

One piece/two piece Track Time....either or.

Thanks

Kakcruawk
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: Mazda 3

#7 Unread post by Kakcruawk »

It is contingent on the sort of riding performed. An additional benefit of wearing a two-piece suit is that it provides additional storage space. It provides exceptional crash protection (note: knee, back, and other accessory cushions are sold separately; do not skimp on these).

beer20574
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
My Motorcycle: audi

#8 Unread post by beer20574 »

if you only ride at the track, get a one-piece suit. two-piece suit is what you want for street riding. something like this. it is suitable for the track as well.

ali-baba62
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 46
My Motorcycle: 2013 Harley wide glide, 2008 BMW F800gs

#9 Unread post by ali-baba62 »

I prefer 2 piece suits, just because I’m 6.3 feet, having jeans size 34/38 I must always combine the trousers and jackets from to separated combi’s. Otherwise the trousers are to small, and the jack is way to big.