thaddeus367
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: Not yet...

virago 250

#1 Unread post by thaddeus367 »

Hello all, my friend has a Virago 250. Ran when parked a couple of years ago. Any thoughts on the durability of a virago? What to watch out for?

thanks,
Tad

nsend87
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: passion

Re: virago 250

#2 Unread post by nsend87 »

The Yamaha Virago 250 is a reliable motorcycle with a strong reputation for durability. Here are a few things to watch out for when attempting to start a Virago 250 that has been sitting for a while:
1. Check the battery: A motorcycle battery can lose its charge over time. Before attempting to start the Virago 250, make sure the battery is fully charged. If the battery is dead, you may need to replace it.
2. Check the fuel: Fuel can degrade over time, especially if it's been sitting in the tank for a long time. Drain the old fuel and replace it with fresh gasoline.
3. Check the spark plugs: Old or fouled spark plugs can prevent the engine from starting. Remove the spark plugs and inspect them for damage or wear. If necessary, replace the spark plugs with new ones.
4. Check the carburetor: The carburetor can become clogged with old fuel or debris over time. Clean the carburetor and make sure the jets are clear before attempting to start the engine.
5. Check the tires: Tires can develop flat spots if they've been sitting in the same position for a long time. Inspect the tires for signs of cracking, flat spots, or other damage. If the tires are damaged, they may need to be replaced.

Overall, the Yamaha Virago 250 is a durable and reliable motorcycle that should serve your friend well with proper maintenance and care.

booth082
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: Jupiter

Re: virago 250

#3 Unread post by booth082 »

thaddeus367 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:52 am Hello all, my friend has a Virago 250. Ran when parked a couple of years ago. Any thoughts on the durability of a virago? What to watch out for?

thanks,
Tad
Hello,
The Yamaha Virago 250 is generally considered to be a reliable motorcycle with a long lifespan if properly maintained. Here are some things to watch out for and some tips for keeping the bike in good condition:

Carburetors: The Virago 250 has a reputation for having carburetor issues. Over time, the carburetors can become clogged or develop leaks. If the bike has been sitting for a few years, it's likely that the carburetors will need to be cleaned or rebuilt. Regular carburetor maintenance and cleaning can help prevent problems in the future.

Electrical system: Like any motorcycle, the Virago 250 has an electrical system that can be prone to issues. Check the battery, wiring, and electrical components to make sure they are in good condition. Also, be sure to keep the battery charged and check the charging system regularly.

Tires: If the bike has been sitting for a couple of years, the tires may be flat or dry rotted. Check the condition of the tires and replace them if necessary. Always make sure the tires are properly inflated and in good condition before riding.

Rust: If the bike has been sitting for a while, it's possible that rust has developed on the frame or other metal components. Inspect the bike carefully for any signs of rust and treat it promptly to prevent further damage.

Maintenance: Regular maintenance is key to keeping any motorcycle in good condition. Follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule and keep the bike clean and well-lubricated.

By following these tips and being vigilant about maintenance and upkeep, your friend should be able to enjoy their Virago 250 for many years to come. hope so it is useful for you.