Did I pay to much?

Beer Runner
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

Did I pay to much?

#1 Unread post by Beer Runner »

I have a 1981 XJ650 and the carbs were shot, I could only get 79 km from a tank full of gas. I took my bike in and as it turned out they need to replace a lot of parts on the carbs. This is the first time the carbs are worked on so I expect to pay. I was told the bike will be ready next week and the cost will be around $675.00 CDN. Is this to much for totaly rebuilding the carbs? I was thinking it would cost about $400.00 for this kind of work.

Wizzard
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#2 Unread post by Wizzard »

That seems a little excessive to me . However I do not know how that would transpose into USD .
Regards, Wizzard
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- ' WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!! ' " - Author Unknown

Scott58
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#3 Unread post by Scott58 »

Time to learn how to rebuild carbs.
05 Honda Rebel
04 Spitfire Cub-24
05Suzuki S50

Toyuzu
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 15
My Motorcycle: 1981 Honda CX 500 Custom

#4 Unread post by Toyuzu »

It does sound a bit steep, but probably close to current competitive pricing in Canadian dollars. Repair work on bikes tends to be costly, due to a shortage of available competition. The more popular bikes become, the more affordable repairs will be.
[i]Only the dead have seen the end of war. (Plato)[/i]

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

#5 Unread post by TechTMW »

Toyuzu wrote:It does sound a bit steep, but probably close to current competitive pricing in Canadian dollars. Repair work on bikes tends to be costly, due to a shortage of available competition. The more popular bikes become, the more affordable repairs will be.
I'd have to disagree... With four-cylinder bike carbs going the way of the Dodo, I think prices to do carb work are going to increase over the long haul. New factory service trained techs spend more lime learning how to computer diagnose problems than actually doing something like learning the ins and outs of carburettors.

As someone else mentioned - Time to learn how to do your own work!

For the Original poster - That price is excessive. You might want to try and find an independant shop - that sounds more like a dealership service price ... If that is an independant shop, you might want to learn how to work on your own stuff.
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)

Chip Beazley
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 57
My Motorcycle: 2014 H-D FLHTP, 2012 Suzuki C50T

#6 Unread post by Chip Beazley »

From my experience the price seems in line. A friend of mine rebuilt the carbs for his Vmax himself and the parts alone were just over $400 from a discount mailorder warehouse. If he had gone to the dealer for the same parts the total would have been closer to $700. This was for jets, needles and replacing all the rubber parts which had gotten hard or brittle over the years on 4 carbs. Sad to say, but motorcycle parts are outrageously expensive.
Chip

2014 H-D FLHTP Police
2012 Suzuki C50T

paul246
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#7 Unread post by paul246 »

Dealer quote for a friend's CB900 4 carb rebuild was $650.00cdn, so you are in the ballpark. As mentioned, you might find an independant to do it cheaper. It is not cheap no matter who does it, unless you are capable of doing it yourself.
There is no such thing as a bad motorcycle.

Honda XR650L Dual-Sport

Beer Runner
Veteran
Veteran

#8 Unread post by Beer Runner »

Good I feel better now that $675.00 is a fair price. I do my own work on the bike most times but the carbs I don't touch.

We only have one dealership in this town and they said they can do the work. When I called the Yamaha dealer they told me they don't work on bikes more then 6 years old.

BTW $675 is about $500 USD I think.

canuckerjay
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#9 Unread post by canuckerjay »

I agree - sounds like it's in the ballpark. But if you've got a decent repair manual, and aren't in an EXTREME rush, you could order the necessary parts and do it yourself.

I always feel guilty paying someone to do what I know I could pull off myself with a bit of reading and patience.
Wherever you may roam
May you own your road.

sidecarguy
Elite
Elite

#10 Unread post by sidecarguy »

hmm i shudof done it yerself!

you'd not only learn about your carbs,

but it could've been lot cheaper! :mrgreen:
jean b.
jawa350 w/sidecar
suzuki rv90