Draining a Gas Tank Problem… Drawing Included

gerpena
Veteran
Veteran

Draining a Gas Tank Problem… Drawing Included

#1 Unread post by gerpena »

http://tinyurl.com/dyjd3

This link is a drawing of my problem. I have 10 oz of gas I cant get out of my tank, no matter how much I shake and rotate, mostly because of a metal tube that protrudes from the bottom of the tank (please see picture).

I want to remove the tube, but I am so afraid of sparking something and causing an explosion in my apartment. Please advise.

Gerardo
Last edited by gerpena on Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
1983 Honda Nighthawk CB550SC
"You start the game with a full pot o' luck and an empty pot o' experience... The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck."

Mag7C
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by Mag7C »

Maybe try siphoning it through the main inlet. Not sure if it will work with that little of an amount. Worth a shot though.

gerpena
Veteran
Veteran

#3 Unread post by gerpena »

Mag7C wrote:Maybe try siphoning it through the main inlet. Not sure if it will work with that little of an amount. Worth a shot though.
thanks for the reply.... given i am running out of options, if siphoning doesnt work what else may i try?

by siphoning you mean taking a long straw and sucking it out right?
"You start the game with a full pot o' luck and an empty pot o' experience... The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck."

cb360
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#4 Unread post by cb360 »

That much gas isn't going to cause too much of an explosion, but you are right to be cautious. If that tube is threaded there shouldn't be much danger in taking it out. If you aren't cool with that just stick a rag down in there and it should wick up most of the gas - then dispose of the rag in a safe place and you'll be good to go.
1974 Honda CB360
1985 Honda Magna VF700c

gerpena
Veteran
Veteran

#5 Unread post by gerpena »

cb360 wrote:That much gas isn't going to cause too much of an explosion, but you are right to be cautious
i guess my lack of experience and my poor performance in early chemistry classes is showing here.

assuming i get most of the liquid gas out using a rag or a siphon technique, will the remaining vapors pose any danger to me? i heard somewhere vapors are what could cause a big problem.

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#6 Unread post by storysunfolding »

The blow on one end, vapors will start going out the other. Since the vapor wants to settle, blow from the top... or maybe invert the tank since you have that tube and blow air through there. Compressed air is best. Nothing like a fan or anything else electronic
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

cb360
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#7 Unread post by cb360 »

Gasoline is nasty stuff, but you are dealing with an extremely small amount of the stuff. You might get a little headache being around the fumes for a long time but if you get rid of all the liquid it will evaporate pretty quickly. Not the best thing to be working on in an enclosed area however. But again, you don't have much of it. Leave some windows open at the least or do your work on the porch or something. You don't want your house smelling like gas.
1974 Honda CB360
1985 Honda Magna VF700c

gerpena
Veteran
Veteran

#8 Unread post by gerpena »

cb360 wrote:Gasoline is nasty stuff, but you are dealing with an extremely small amount of the stuff. You might get a little headache being around the fumes for a long time but if you get rid of all the liquid it will evaporate pretty quickly. Not the best thing to be working on in an enclosed area however. But again, you don't have much of it. Leave some windows open at the least or do your work on the porch or something. You don't want your house smelling like gas.
excellent.... i will try to remove the tube, if that doesnt work, i will use a rag.

after that i will try blowing on one end with a hair dryer, for about an hour to get rid of the vapors.

then i will fill ir up with water and laundry detergent, and rinse a few times.
:o
thanks guys!

cb360
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#9 Unread post by cb360 »

I'd be careful on the old hair dryer idea. You probably would be ok, but I'd leave the electricity out of the equation. Once you get the bulk of it out just let it air dry - it'll dry soon enough without introducing another possibly dangerous variable to the mix.
1974 Honda CB360
1985 Honda Magna VF700c

gerpena
Veteran
Veteran

#10 Unread post by gerpena »

cb360 wrote:I'd be careful on the old hair dryer idea. You probably would be ok, but I'd leave the electricity out of the equation. Once you get the bulk of it out just let it air dry - it'll dry soon enough without introducing another possibly dangerous variable to the mix.
thanks for the warning.... i think i will be patient and avoid the dryer and let ventilation get rid of the vapors for me.

thanks again.