Chaps

sportsterideragogo
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

Chaps

#1 Unread post by sportsterideragogo »

I bought a set of leather chaps a few years ago (black of course lol). I've always thought that chaps look kinda goofy, and I really don't like wearing them. But, I'm here to tell ya, they do what they're supposed to do. I was in a very bad crash in 2002-and because it was a little chilly that day, I was wearing my chaps. Went down, still on the bike, skidding (bike in front). Somehow, I got flipped over the bike, and it started rolling. Well the rear footpeg caught me right in the middle of my inner thigh-made a small rupture in my femoral artery. Bad enough, but I am convinced that if I had not been wearing those chaps the footpeg would have punched through my skin, and I would have bled out. So, yes-chaps are goofy looking, but they will save your life.

My 2 cents
"Beer GOOD! Beer make BAD THING go away!"

Wizzard
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#2 Unread post by Wizzard »

I have two pair of chaps . One that I had custom made about 10 years or so ago that I will never out grow because of the way they are made . And this summer I inherited a pair of HD chaps . So the way that I see it I'm covered for the rest of my life . I like the comfort as well as the looks of them . As well as the protection they afford me . Altho I only wear them during the winter months .
Regards, Wizzard
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- ' WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!! ' " - Author Unknown

jmillheiser
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#3 Unread post by jmillheiser »

Chaps also have the advantage over pants that you can take em off at your destination and have regular pants underneth.

cb360
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#4 Unread post by cb360 »

I know it was a while ago wizzard, but what do you reckon it would cost to get some custom chaps made - any ideas?
1974 Honda CB360
1985 Honda Magna VF700c

Buelligan
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by Buelligan »

Chaps are goofie looking :( , I kinda like them.
Black - 2004 Buell XB9S Lightening

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#6 Unread post by storysunfolding »

I never appreciated the look of chaps. I have textile overpants which you can wear pants under. They are easy to take on and off, have built in armor, has rider positioned pockets, are waterproof, zip into my jacket and cover my butt.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

ronboskz650sr
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#7 Unread post by ronboskz650sr »

I wear black icon jeans under my chaps, and they just look like leather pants until close up. They're off all summer, anyway. I'm on the bike when I wear them, or only going inside to take them off, so looks are no big deal. I've been told they look okay, though.
Ride safe...God bless!
-Ron
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/ronboskz650sr/avatartotal.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/ronboskz650sr/wholebikeavatar2.jpg[/img]

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#8 Unread post by Sev »

I havea pair of chaps, but I don't wear them anymore. I picked up a set of Icon Barrier jeans which I find are more comfortable, and feel just as sturdy. Plus they are warmer to ride in and cooler to walk around in. I love them, and I'm going to add a couple more pairs to my wardrobe as money permits.

On long trips that I know will be cold I wear my chaps, but I find that they are more of a hassle for short trips because I want to take them off as soon as I get off. And I hate having to carry them around. They are heavy and awkward. Obviously my bike lacks saddlebags, and I've basically stopped using my tank bag because it was putting small scratches onto my tank which I've spent a LOT of time trying to remove. They're coming out... but slowly.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

Mintbread
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#9 Unread post by Mintbread »

Chaps are like wearing a short-sleeved jacket. I can't see the point of them.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/mintbread1/header.gif[/img]

Wizzard
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#10 Unread post by Wizzard »

cb360 wrote:I know it was a while ago wizzard, but what do you reckon it would cost to get some custom chaps made - any ideas?
Find a friend that works with leather . That's what I did . I really don't remember if they even cost me at all . It was a Sister in the previous club I rode with . Each piece is an individual leg with a fold and snap that overlaps my belt . As per normal they zip up the sides .
Regards, Wizzard
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- ' WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!! ' " - Author Unknown