information on an engine

amswak
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

information on an engine

#1 Unread post by amswak »

My dad has a mid-80's engine from yamaha that at one time was part of a project vehicle (from a Pulse or Lightstar if any of you have ever heard of it). I wanted to see if I could build a cheap parts bike around this engine, but I do not even know where to start to find out what model bike it was originally put in.

Anyone have any advice on where I can find out more about it? It has Yamaha YICS in big letters on the side and I have all the numbers that are stamped all over the place, but I dont know which is the VIN#.

My dad said he was pretty sure it is a 400cc, but on the side of the engine it has 2200cm^3 printed into it which confuses me entirely on what the size of the engine is. I am fairly new to bikes and this will be my first time working on one. Any help is appreciated! Thanks

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#2 Unread post by BuzZz »

The cases hold 2200 ml of oil, that's what those numbers mean. The displacement will be cast into the base of the cylinderblock. Call a Yammy dealer and run the numbers you have past them, they can probably tell you.

I'm gonna guess it's an FZ-400 motor.......
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

Wizzard
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#3 Unread post by Wizzard »

The VIN# would have been on the neck of the bike and not on the engine .
Regards, Wizzard
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- ' WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!! ' " - Author Unknown

Vit0r
Elite
Elite

#4 Unread post by Vit0r »

The vin # for a 1985 Yamaha FZ was on the right side/more toward the middle handlebar.

amswak
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by amswak »

Yeah, I dont have the frame. My dad never had the original bike either, so he doesnt even know what it looks like. lol. He upgraded the engine in his project to a water cooled 1000cc because the 400cc just didnt have enough power. This is what the engine originally was out of:
http://www.autocycles.org/

I just found out that it came from a Seca, but I still dont have a year. I guess I will just have to ask some salvage yards and see what years are interchangeable...

sidecarguy
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by sidecarguy »

for seca, maxim, or xj bikes try:

http://www.xjbikes.com
jean b.
jawa350 w/sidecar
suzuki rv90
yamaha xj650 seca