Cleaning a gas tank with 99% isopropyl alcohol

gerpena
Veteran
Veteran

Cleaning a gas tank with 99% isopropyl alcohol

#1 Unread post by gerpena »

Cleaning a gas tank with 99% isopropyl alcohol...

Is it true that a good way to rinse out any small debris from a newly sealed and painted gas tank is to throw in a cup of 99% isopropyl alcohol and rinse it out?

then allow the alohol to evaporate before filling the tank with gas to use it again?
1983 Honda Nighthawk CB550SC
"You start the game with a full pot o' luck and an empty pot o' experience... The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck."

mattf
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by mattf »

Why couldn't you use gas to clean it out?

gerpena
Veteran
Veteran

#3 Unread post by gerpena »

mattf wrote:Why couldn't you use gas to clean it out?
im doing it inside my apartment (no other place i can do it) so gas scares the crap out of me.
1983 Honda Nighthawk CB550SC
"You start the game with a full pot o' luck and an empty pot o' experience... The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck."

Nibblet99
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#4 Unread post by Nibblet99 »

isopropanol is more flamable than petrol, but petrol burns with more energy

both are bad indoors in that quantity BE CAREFUL and keep all the windows open, so the air inside keeps moving
Starting out responsibly? - [url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=24730]Clicky[/url]
looking for a forum that advocates race replica, 600cc supersports for learners on public roads? - [url=http://www.google.com]Clicky[/url]

Pongo
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by Pongo »

One thing concerning cleaning out gas tanks. Don't be tempted to use a vacuum cleaner with a metal nozzle to clean any small loose crud that might be in there. They can spark between nozzle and tank.

Nibblet99
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#6 Unread post by Nibblet99 »

:shock: Just don't use any kind of powered implement unless you're absolutely sure you've flushed out any fumes / residue, with a non-reactive non-flammable liquid

well added Pongo
Starting out responsibly? - [url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=24730]Clicky[/url]
looking for a forum that advocates race replica, 600cc supersports for learners on public roads? - [url=http://www.google.com]Clicky[/url]

Kal
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 1998 Kawasaki GPZ500S

#7 Unread post by Kal »

Pongo wrote:One thing concerning cleaning out gas tanks. Don't be tempted to use a vacuum cleaner with a metal nozzle to clean any small loose crud that might be in there. They can spark between nozzle and tank.
doh!

Actually I may thread-jack now....

Main keys with the only petrolcap key went missing a couple of weeks ago (cat that seems to having a phantom pregnancy is the main suspect)
As a temporary measure I swapped the tank from Bitzer for the one on CeeGee.

I need to swap them back in the next couple of weeks, assuming Evil kitty does not cough up the keys, how do I get the cap off of the tank without damaging the tank?
Kal...
Relationship Squid...

GPZ500S, CB250N, GB250Clubman

Pongo
Elite
Elite

#8 Unread post by Pongo »

Kal wrote:Main keys with the only petrolcap key went missing a couple of weeks ago (cat that seems to having a phantom pregnancy is the main suspect)
As a temporary measure I swapped the tank from Bitzer for the one on CeeGee.

I need to swap them back in the next couple of weeks, assuming Evil kitty does not cough up the keys, how do I get the cap off of the tank without damaging the tank?
A good dose of liquid paraffin/mineral oil.

If that fails....Kitty to the Vet.

Kal
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 1998 Kawasaki GPZ500S

#9 Unread post by Kal »

Ah sorry, Evil Kitty (she put me in Hospital once) keeps thinking that random objects (mars bars, my bike gloves etc) are kittens and hidijg them in safe places...

I suspect this is what she has done with my keys, so lookig at replacing the filler cap.

Mind you I like the idea of just giving evil kitty a dose of caster oil anyway... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Kal...
Relationship Squid...

GPZ500S, CB250N, GB250Clubman

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#10 Unread post by BuzZz »

So you got hospitalized by a housecat and you admit it....... scuze me, I have to go roll around on the floor and laugh like a lunatic for a half hour or so. :wink:
:laughing: :roll2: :laughing:

I got 2 cats..... I had no idea I was in such mortal danger. :shock:

Sorry, couldn't let that slide. I'm a jerk like that....... :mrgreen:
No Witnesses.... :shifty: