ZZR1100 and ZX-10 Q's

BikerBohr
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

ZZR1100 and ZX-10 Q's

#1 Unread post by BikerBohr »

Hi all,

Becoming a bit older and wealthier my needs and preferences are changing these years. Therefore I am considering to buy a new (used) MC these days, more specifically either a ZZR1100 or ZX-10 Kawasaki from around 1990.

As far as I have read on the web the ZX should have essentially the same engine as the early versions of ZZR, so I'm really looking for the differences between the two, apart from the obvious design, engine size and HP.
Would it for instance be possible to fit a ZZR1100D engine into a ZX-10 frame without modifying the frame?
Are there specific things to be aware of on these models apart from the low-end failure on the 3'rd cylinder on the early versions?

Also, what are peoples experience with these models? I am looking for a bike with real touring capabilities including pillion and luggage, but it should also be capable of sporty riding...

All comments are welcome.

\BB

Ladymx
Site Supporter - Platinum

#2 Unread post by Ladymx »

Im not totally sure, but I dont think the frames are identical for the ZZR and ZX. Your most likely to get a ZX10 and modifiy it as you need, rather then getting an older ZZR and trying to improve it. Just my :twocents:

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#3 Unread post by High_Side »

Kawasaki played name games with those models back at that time. Generally Europe was recieving bikes call ZZRs and North America were getting the exact same bikes labled ZXs. There is however, a substantial difference between the ZX-10 of '89 and the ZX-11 of '90. Then engines shared a similair if not exact bottom end and would possibly be interchangeable, but with good examples of both available really cheap, I'm not sure if you want to put in the effort. I ran a couple of ZX-6s from the same era and they were very comfortable for touring. Closer to a Gold Wing in comfort than to they are to the new hard-core sport rides.....

BikerBohr
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by BikerBohr »

@Moderators: Thanks for the input. My idea with the engine replacement is more of a sparepart idea than that of an upgrade idea. Although these bikes are old they are still quite expensive here in DK :(

@High_Side: "There is however, a substantial difference between the ZX-10 of '89 and the ZX-11 of '90". Can you be more specific? What are the differences? Over here we have ZX-10 from 88-90 and ZZR-1100 (ZX-11?) from 90 -> today...

\BB

PS: What is the Moderator to normal user ratio :laughing:

spiritusnoctem
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by spiritusnoctem »

BikerBohr wrote: @High_Side: "There is however, a substantial difference between the ZX-10 of '89 and the ZX-11 of '90". Can you be more specific? What are the differences? Over here we have ZX-10 from 88-90 and ZZR-1100 (ZX-11?) from 90 -> today...
Hi, Denmark!

As the proud owner of TWO ZX11s, I am glad to hear that there are still so many fans of this niche bike. As you embark on some detailed research ahead, I highly suggest you join our ZX11/ZZR forum at http://www.bigbikeworld.com. It is hosted out of Ontario, Canada, but attracts riders from every part of the globe. There is also the http://www.zx11.info website that is a hobby project of a fellow ZX rider in Europe.

And to answer some of your questions:
a. The ZX10 of 1988-89 is VERY different from the ZX11C1 of 1990. Their engines are not interchangeable, as their frames are significantly different.
b. The ZX11C1 through D7 models are virtually identical to the European ZZR11 models... they are just labeled differently for North American markets.

(above: 1990-1993 ZX11C model of North America)

(above: 1993-2001 ZX11D model of North America)
Paul
=============
Cogito Ergo Velocitas
http://netculture.about.com

Allan ZX10 Danmark
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: Honda CB500 and ZX10 and GPX600R

Re: ZZR1100 and ZX-10 Q's

#6 Unread post by Allan ZX10 Danmark »

Hi
ZX10 1989, will engine fit from ZZR1100 and vice versa, please?
What is the major difference on these 2 bikes, please?