sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

Only Experienced bikers need reply.

#1 Unread post by sapaul »

So, we are putting together a skills set for leaders and Tail end charlies. A list of do's and dont's. What do you like to see on the group rides, what do not like. What are absolute musts.
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#2 Unread post by Sev »

I really like to see the leader ask everyone that was following if they were having any problems keeping up at the first stop. Other then that, it's pretty much all good.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#3 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

For the ana-retentive:
1. Go over some basic hand signals.

2. Give a rough explanation of route/what to expect on route (any unusal terrain, etc.).

3. Show of hands, who's carrying a first aid kit and/or has first aid training (so everyone knows who to go to if something happens).

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#4 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Here are the group riding guidelines for the Southern Cruisers riding club.

There are chapters all over the place.

http://www.southerncruisers.net/ridingrules.htm

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#5 Unread post by sapaul »

Thanks guy's, I need all the help I can get. Interesting to see some guy's using radio's. Nobody employs that system here. We also have a unique group ride in that we split the pack into two groups. A slow group and a fast group. One of the needs for the program is how to handle these slower riders who want to come up to the fast group. We have so many riders turning up these days that we do not know all of them. On top of that we are getting an increasing amount of guest riders on non BMW bikes.
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

2wheel
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by 2wheel »

Ride in a stagard format, not side by side. Single file through any corners!
1999 VFR
2005 KTM 300EXC
2004 GS500F (girlfriends)
www.2wheelcentral.com
www.iboxcabinets.com

V4underme
Elite
Elite

#7 Unread post by V4underme »

Good spacing between bikes, it helps avoid an ugly domino effect if something goes wrong near the front of the group.

scan
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

#8 Unread post by scan »

Lion_Lady wrote:For the ana-retentive:
1. Go over some basic hand signals.

2. Give a rough explanation of route/what to expect on route (any unusal terrain, etc.).

3. Show of hands, who's carrying a first aid kit and/or has first aid training (so everyone knows who to go to if something happens).

P
This is the bomb! I wish when I went on my first ride they would have done this - but there was about 8 of us, and 6 guys knew each other very well. I guess they thought the other new guy and I would catch on.

In reality, I almost lost them and the other new guy crashed trying to keep up. I think there needs to be a tail guy, who knows exactly where the lead guy is going. He needs to keep the back of the pack safe and as slow as they need to go. And take some breaks along the way and trade tail duty so the more experienced guys don't have to get board baby-sitting.
* 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R *
"What good fortune for those of us in power that people do not think. " Hitler - think about that one for a minute.

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#9 Unread post by ZooTech »

RULE #1 - Ride Your Own Ride!!!

Worth mentioning:

- Hand signals, especially the "one up" signal used to notify riders to ride single file when approaching twisties.

- Don't become "glued" to the group. If you do, a pile-up is eminent if a traffic light goes yellow after part of the group has already gone through. One law-abider will stop for the red and will get rear-ended by the bungie bikers behind them.

- Maintain clearance between you and the bike ahead of you.

- Most experienced rider up front, 2nd most experienced at the tail. Least experienced rider should ride directly behind the leader.

That's all for now.
Last edited by ZooTech on Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scan
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

#10 Unread post by scan »

That's great Zoo. I agree, especially about the whole "glued" thing.

Another thing is making clear the adherence to law, or not. When I rode with this group they certainly did not adhere to the speed laws, which was not a problem to me. They also did not honor the no passing areas, with which I did have a problem. At one point the tail guy, who had passed me due to slowness in some corners, had to drop back to try to get me to pass a car in a long no passing zone. Had I known they would be breaking that rule, I might have passed on joining them at all.

So anyway, I was outclassed in terms of cornering and speed skills, and I was the extra wheel in that sense. If someone would have be clear and truthful about the kind of riding to be done, I might have passed - saving me some scares and them the bordom of me dragging them down.
* 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R *
"What good fortune for those of us in power that people do not think. " Hitler - think about that one for a minute.