For the BEGINNER BIKER

lovetabike
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Another New Rider

#141 Unread post by lovetabike »

I'm a new motorcycle rider, at 47 no less, and thought I would share my first bike story. I bought a new 2006 Kawasaki Mean Streak 1600. That's not what many would suggest as a first bike but its working great for me. I took a MSF course which was a great start. I'm 5'11 if I stretch and weight 185. I've done lots of bicycling, 100 mile rides and such and down a mountain rode at 45 on that is much scarier than a motorcycle. Balance is important and bicycling helped me with that. I also drive a 5 speed so shifting is nothing new to me. :D .

My first ride was bringing it back from the dealer which was 110 miles south of where I live. I decided to jump in and get a feel for it right away. I bought it 3 months ago and have 1700 miles so far with no problems. I've done a lot of city driving to get comfortable with it and it has paid off. I guess the bottom line is research the bikes, take the MSF class, and find the ride you want.

bluemonkie99
Regular
Regular

#142 Unread post by bluemonkie99 »

I just completed the BRC course this weekend and had a blast. Now, I keep looking online at bikes and dreaming of getting a new one someday. My dream bike is a V-Strom 650, but that's still some time off. I current have an 85 Magna, that's not in the best condition, but it will have to do for now. Next, I will start looking for a newer used bike that won't be too expensive. I definitely plan to keep it safe. I learned a lot at the course but still don't feel quite ready to hit the roads alone. One thing though, by the end of the class, two young guys were discussing the bikes they wanted to buy. They had convinced themselves that sports bikes were clearly the better choice, they were safer and better made. Crossing my fingers for those two.
"No one dies a virgin, Life screws us all."

2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250, a.k.a Rawley
1985 Honda VF 500c Magna V30 (my enemy)

Fast Eddy B
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 02 Fazer FZS600

#143 Unread post by Fast Eddy B »

[quote]lovetabike Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:24 am Post subject: Another New Rider

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm a new motorcycle rider, at 47 no less, and thought I would share my first bike story. I bought a new 2006 Kawasaki Mean Streak 1600. That's not what many would suggest as a first bike but its working great for me.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's fantastic for you. Cruisers aren't my bag, but the power and the weight are comparable to my next bike. I know what you mean about balance though... but isn't a little technique so important? Like counterbalancing a U-turn?

Ride on!
02 Fazer 600

Media Weasel
Veteran
Veteran

Re: 1st time rider

#144 Unread post by Media Weasel »

moorepimp wrote:I'm 29 years old and I just recently purchased a 06 ZX-6R(636cc).... I've had the bike for 3 weeks now and I'm about to hit 1000 break-in miles, but honestly I've alresdy had the bike up to 130 with no problems. ...I wasn't so respectfull of the power a 636cc bike has!
See? This is why everyone's insurance rates are so freakin high: folks like you think going twice the speed limit is acceptable. It isn't. It's plain stupid, and a fast way to get yerself killed.

When you do kill yourself, please make sure you don't take anyone else with you. One grieving family is enough.

Media Weasel
Veteran
Veteran

Re: good bike for beginner

#145 Unread post by Media Weasel »

JJ wrote:I would disagree with folks here that a 500 cc bike is about the max for a beginner. I would say that most beginners could handle up to about older Suzuki GS 750 or Honda CB 750. [...]
I think any new rider is foolish not to take a MSF course. You get a year's worth of riding experience in one weekend.
JJ
A query for input, if you don't mind.

I'm 40, been riding a 50cc scooter for three years. Dropped it once (learning curve). Beeb bicycling for seven years previously: that ten years of two wheels has given me a healthy understanding of the reality that I'm freakin' invisible.

Ergo, I have many of the defensive driving skills, basic countersteering and other stuff down pat.

I will go for a course later this year.

So given the above, is a 650 v-strom (67 hp) too much meat for a first bike?

I'm not considering myself a raw rookie, else I'd settle for a Rebel and ride it for a few years.

Con
Rookie
Rookie

#146 Unread post by Con »

Hi All,

I would really appreciate some advice on a bike i want to buy. I'm only 5 foot 4 and weighs 120 pounds. I'm a beginner looking to buy a triumph bonneville which is 205 kg with seating height 30.5 inch.

am i too small to handle this bike ? anyone knows a friend of similar size handle a bike that size ? this is the only bike i want, i dream about it ....

Con

ps i'm from australaia too ! i would say the climate here is perfect for riding !!

Fast Eddy B
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 02 Fazer FZS600

#147 Unread post by Fast Eddy B »

:spam:
02 Fazer 600

Rixee
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

Starter bike

#148 Unread post by Rixee »

I am working overseas but am returning to the UK in 18 or so days. In which time I plan to sit a Direct Access at my local Training facility. I read the first post ref. The MCF and was wondering if you do that before or after your Direct access (total newbie here, btw!! :oops: )

I am planning on return to buy a HONDA CBR250 and need to know whether this is a wise investment. Any advice is benificial so please let me know on any of the above.

Danke

Rix

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Re: Starter bike

#149 Unread post by Shorts »

Rixee wrote:I am working overseas but am returning to the UK in 18 or so days. In which time I plan to sit a Direct Access at my local Training facility. I read the first post ref. The MCF and was wondering if you do that before or after your Direct access (total newbie here, btw!! :oops: )

I am planning on return to buy a HONDA CBR250 and need to know whether this is a wise investment. Any advice is benificial so please let me know on any of the above.

Danke

Rix

The CBR250 is a cool bike to start on. I believe the CBR250RR have a little more juice for power and have dual front discs instead of the single. I looked at the CBR2500RR here as my first bike but hopped on another instead (big price difference!).

I have no idea what your talking about with the MCF and Direct Access stuff :oops: I think its in regards to training and riding. MSF is a class you have to take and pass, both workbook and riding skills. Some states use that class as a prereq to being able to get a license. Some states use that class as a mewans of a license. Depends on the states.

Nibblet99
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

Re: Starter bike

#150 Unread post by Nibblet99 »

Rixee wrote:I am working overseas but am returning to the UK in 18 or so days. In which time I plan to sit a Direct Access at my local Training facility. I read the first post ref. The MCF and was wondering if you do that before or after your Direct access (total newbie here, btw!! :oops: )

Danke

Rix
Ok, the last time I looked, licensing options in the UK goes like this (it may have changed a little since, not sure if the DAS age was changed). To do Category A1, or Direct Access you need to take a theory test

CBT: At any age over 17 you can do a CBT on a 125 cc motorcycle this allows you to ride with L plates on any motorbike up to 125cc / 15bhp. CBT must be retaken after 2 years if you aven't past a test by then

Category A1: 4day (I think) course includes a CBT, training and test is on a 125cc bike, after which you can legally ride any bike up to 33.3 bhp for 2-3 years (uncertain) after that time you can legally ride any motorcycle you like. Restrictor kits can be found for a large number of bikes to bring them within the 33.3 bhp limit

Direct Access - Requires you to be over 21 (maybe changed to 25, uncertain): 4day again, including a CBT. Exactly the same training and test as Category A1, but taken on a motorbike that either is larger than 500cc, or more powerful than 45bhp (I think). After which you can legally ride anything

Some inaccuracies, that the DVA website can clear up, but should give you an idea (searching dvla.gov.uk turned up this leaflet http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/inf31.pdf

***EDIT***
Forgot to add that I've never heard of an MCF myself, if it was a typo as I suspect and you meant MSF, thats a course offered in the North Americas

The Direct Access contains everything you need to get started and more than you will get from the MSF

You can follow up with an Institute of Advanced Motorists course though (IAM) should you wish. I think that earns you a slight discount on insurance but couldn't say for sure. But I would do the DAS first, get a lilttle experience, then consider it myself
Starting out responsibly? - [url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=24730]Clicky[/url]
looking for a forum that advocates race replica, 600cc supersports for learners on public roads? - [url=http://www.google.com]Clicky[/url]