yamaha Virago

Donald Watts
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

yamaha Virago

#1 Unread post by Donald Watts »

I'm new to motorcycling. I'm looking for my first bike and I came across a 1985 Yamaha Virago XV1000. I don't know the specifics of the bike yet, but i would just like to know if this model is a very reliable one. If anyone has any advice whatsoever, please let me know.

KroSha
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by KroSha »

A 1000cc bike is not an easy choice for your first bike. It would be wiser to go for something a little smaller to begin with. If you particularly like the Virago, there are several smaller sizes available.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#3 Unread post by dr_bar »

It's a dated article but read it just the same...

http://www.vsoc.org.uk/vsoc_articles/hi ... virago.htm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

brbolin
Elite
Elite

#4 Unread post by brbolin »

Just a bit of trivia...on Dictionary.com the definition for Virago is:
"A large, loud, screaming, and domineering woman."

That's funny stuff, there.

RegalSwan
Veteran
Veteran

#5 Unread post by RegalSwan »

I cant speak for the Virago but my '82 Maxim 650 is holding up exceptionally well. With only 13k miles though, only problem being some discoloration on the pipes. It took a good Carb cleaning when i got it but now I am keeping pace with my friends '03 Shadow no problem. Also if you want you could look into the Maxim line, they are slightly more standard than the viragos and are popular in the smaller sizes. I personally don't always see the huge push to go small, it is basically about the amount of risk you want to take, if you can accept the risk you might twist the throttle a bit much at one time and end up, "O Ring" on pavement then a bigger bike could work.
"I like a man who grins when he fights"
-Winston Churchill

'07 SV650 "Charlotte"
'82 Maxim 650 "Charon"

YZFRider
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by YZFRider »

When I was shopping I learned that some models of Viragos can develop starter issues. Apparently the problem isn't very common, but serious as the repair involves opening the engine casing to repair. I'd do some checking to get more details on this before buying.

Have to agree with other responder saying this may not be the best choice for a first bike due to size / weight. Great second bike for the money!
99 Yamaha YZF600R

9000white
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#7 Unread post by 9000white »

i had a 1985 xv1000.good bike except for starter problems and carburetors blowing out of intake rubbers on deceleration.i have never heard of a virago that DIDN'T have starter problems.
dr bob

JustJames
Legendary
Legendary

#8 Unread post by JustJames »

Virago engine proof to be a very reliable one. All V-Stars now also use the same engine. This has been in market very long time and very easy to find any parts when repair.

But for you who's new to a motorcycle, do you plan to service/repair everything yourself? Getting 20 years old bike that require a lot of knowldge. If you plan to have someone fix it then it might cost you a fortune and you might be better of with semi-brand new (3-5 year old bike).

Engine size wise. I don't think it will be much difficult to learn 1000cc virago should be around 45-50hp. And if you drop it, who cares, it is a 20 year old bike which might cost you a couple hundreds dollars.
[img]http://www.geocities.com/hoonnirun/Element/element-sig.jpg[/img]

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#9 Unread post by dr_bar »

JustJames wrote:All V-Stars now also use the same engine.
I'm not too sure on that fact...

I was lead to understand that the 650 was based on the old Virago 520 that was rebored and had the stroked increased to get the new size, it also has a smaller carb. I was also told that the 1100 was a new engine completely. I may have been mis-informed but unless someone knows the correct answer to that one, I'll trust my source.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

JustJames
Legendary
Legendary

#10 Unread post by JustJames »

650 yup still the same engine as Virago 535 but just bored out to add more cc and that why I assume 1100 might be the same, I might be wrong tho, since I only own 650.
[img]http://www.geocities.com/hoonnirun/Element/element-sig.jpg[/img]