You are a Beginner and want a 600cc+ sportbike? READ THIS!

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

Re: You are a Beginner and want a 600cc+ sportbike? READ THIS!

#211 Unread post by ceemes »

HYPERR wrote:
NORTY wrote:A new rider that buys a 600 supersport will develop more slowly than a rider that gets a "more forgiving" motorcycle.

Imagine learning "clutch control" on a YZF/ZX/CBR/GSXR....
600 sportbike is actually a very forgiving motorcyle. It is far more forgiving that many of the bikes that these so called experts are suggesting.

Learning clutch control on these bikes with its smooth and super predictable clutch is very easy.

I am willing to bet that the majority of the people posting on this thread have never even ridden a 600 sportbike.
ahem.....Kawasaki GPz1100, the fuel injected precursor of the Ninja's. Still say anyone jumping on a 600RR as their first bike is a statistic looking for a place to happen.
Always ask why.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#212 Unread post by HYPERR »

ceemes wrote: ahem.....Kawasaki GPz1100, the fuel injected precursor of the Ninja's.
The power delivery of the GPZ1100 is completely different from that of a 600 Supersport, not even close. The big bore GPZs were nothing like the 600 supersports. They were very heavy, big, and unforgiving bikes and ride nothing like the 600 supersports.
Still say anyone jumping on a 600RR as their first bike is a statistic looking for a place to happen.
Show me the statistic. I am not saying your side of the argument is wrong per se, but having ridden and owned everything from two strokes to Gold Wings to just about everything in between (singles, twins, triples, fours, and sixes) on dirt, street, snow, and for hundreds of thousands of miles; and yes including extensive saddle time on various 600 supersports, I am skeptical on this.

I continue to see these "expert" opinions and assertions made by people of somewhat dubious qualifications; which many of them have suggested much less forgiving bikes like the naked SV650 (have any of these people even ridden a SV650?). I bet most of them have never riddent a SV or a 600 supersport.

I'm not putting you in the above category ceemes as I know you are an established rider who has riddent many bikes over many decades. That said, show me the stat here. I think the burden of proof is not on the dissenter but on the side that made the original bold assertion.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

Jamers!
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
My Motorcycle: 2015 Yamaha VX950(bolt)

#213 Unread post by Jamers! »

I have only ridden a race replica bike a few times and it was a few years ago. But i would say that the clutch is fine, it engages smoothly and early on. The issue i found then and would bet that this is where the issue is is the control of the throttle. Anyone not used to a clutch andor not used to a bike may have a tough time getting the right amount of gas needed to get going, this is an issue when learning clutch on bikes or cars. I believe that the most common thing people do on both vehicles when they hear the putter is to gas it more, usually much more to avoid the stall. No biggy if it is a jeep wrangler or an ex250. It will lurch forward and you may have to brake a bit but generally not a disaster. If you start to engage a clutch on a very peppy very strong RR and you start to mess up and give it oodles or extra gas you are going to seriously jump forward. That sudden movement is bad enough, what if you are suppose to be turning, what if you are going to be going uphill or downhill? combine that with the unexpected and unwanted rapid movement and the novice rider is in most situations going to have a moment of panic. That panic and impulsive decision is likely to not be the right one.

Yes, sport bikes are very well made, the clutches are easy to engage are smooth, the brakes responsive to a T and all that. The issue has always been, new riders will make mistakes and those mistakes will be less damning if done on a slower, smaller more manageable set of wheels.
Insert something clever and showing an understanding of motorcycle culture here

ATGATT

Sev wrote:What's a bike?
JWF505 wrote:its like a goat, but with two wheels.
JWF

asher
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: 2010 Yamaha R6

#214 Unread post by asher »

that video was funny qwerty :laughing:

the OP post is good though.!!! some people and youtubers who started on bigger bikes says its not hard. but when I see their videos, they look so awkward riding and are more afraid to go faster or turn effectively.

BitGid
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: Ninja

#215 Unread post by BitGid »

This is just my opinion, but I think that anyone who wishes to ride on the street should consider learning how to ride off-road first. This way, the concepts involved in controlling a bike can become second nature BEFORE sticking your neck out in traffic.

Ydendhahe
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 05/HD/Touring

#216 Unread post by Ydendhahe »

BitGid wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:31 am This is just my opinion, but I think that anyone who wishes to ride on the street should consider learning how to ride off-road first. This way, the concepts involved in controlling a bike can become second nature BEFORE sticking your neck out in traffic.
I agree with you...it will be better to all.
Last edited by JackoftheGreen on Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed commercial link.

Zeeshan777
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: honda

#217 Unread post by Zeeshan777 »

thanks for tell us about this, and this information very helpfull for me

Umer Abdul
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2016/Ducati scrambler

#218 Unread post by Umer Abdul »

Thanks for sharing this!!

Miles_Ha11
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2016 Ducati Supersport

#219 Unread post by Miles_Ha11 »

Interesting, this will really be helpful for beginners.

Umer Abdul
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2016/Ducati scrambler

#220 Unread post by Umer Abdul »

Yes please gives tips for the beginner