You are a Beginner and want a 600cc+ sportbike? READ THIS!

Peter Y
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

#61 Unread post by Peter Y »

Jerry Gowins wrote:I haven't ridden in 30 years, and am thinking of getting back into it now that the kids are all grown and gone. Just starting my research (I have a lot to learn) and probably will not buy a bike for at least a year and after taking the motorcycle safety course.

I really appreciate the articles posted here, and the arguments against newbies on 600cc sport bikes make perfect sense to me. However, I understand that cruisers are a different beast and I want a cruiser (looking at the Kawi Vulcan 900). I am wondering how, or if, the guidelines for engine size for a newbie cruiser rider are different.
Jerry go for it. I reckon with a cruiser you got absolutley no issues. Everyone here is hell bent against a 600CC as a first bike but a cruiser is timid and wont flip you over. Listen to the voice inside you :mrgreen:

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#62 Unread post by storysunfolding »

We don't mind a 600cc cruiser. The main idea is under 50 hp. 600cc sportbikes typically have twice that.

I agree, the licensing over here is more lax than your neck of the woods. I'd rather that we had the same training but I don't see it ever happening. In the US the MSF course isn't even designed to get you ready for the road. It's designed to provide an introduction to safe and responsible riding. It's encouraged that you develop the skills you learn with more time in a parking lot and then gradually working your way onto the road. Yes 15 hours isn't going to be nearly as good at 4 months of training- no arguements here.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Peter Y
Veteran
Veteran

#63 Unread post by Peter Y »

I agree, the licensing over here is more lax than your neck of the woods. I'd rather that we had the same training but I don't see it ever happening. In the US the MSF course isn't even designed to get you ready for the road. It's designed to provide an introduction to safe and responsible riding. It's encouraged that you develop the skills you learn with more time in a parking lot and then gradually working your way onto the road. Yes 15 hours isn't going to be nearly as good at 4 months of training- no arguements here.
U know I rasied the same 600CC first bike question in a Europe forum. So far there have been no posts objecting to it. Im going to give it some time and share ther results in this forum. I think the difference in views/opinions will surprise some of the hard core bikers.

Thanks for your balanced comments.

Peter...

storysunfolding

#64 Unread post by storysunfolding »

I'm not so sure. It's like comparing apples to oranges, no ones too surprised when they differ.
My Blog

Peter Y
Veteran
Veteran

#65 Unread post by Peter Y »

storysunfolding wrote:I'm not so sure. It's like comparing apples to oranges
U know what I struggle with is we are talking about the same topice and the same issues yet geogrpahical placement determines your views. I think the cultural aspect here is huge. It just changes how you view the picture. Two people same picture one says black the other white. :?

storysunfolding

#66 Unread post by storysunfolding »

True but the differences in cultures is well known here. It doesn't surprise me on the differences.
My Blog

atom
Elite
Elite

#67 Unread post by atom »

Peter Y wrote:
1. find a big "O Ring" blender and toss the bike in and then jump in while its on "puree"

2. cut off a little bit of your skin at a time and glue it to the bike until the bike is covered and then remove your bones and replace structural components of the frame with your bones, easier on trellis-type frames

3. use your own blood instead of gasoline and swimmers/saliva instead of oil

4. if your bike is liquid cooled, connect an artery to the outlet of the radiator and a vein to the tube going back to the engine
Just an FYI for you Im actually doing great with the bike. Cautious, pro-active & steady. No need to be a smart "O Ring" (unless your just behaving naturally). Ive spoken to at least 30 different experienced riders in the Netherlands and not ONE has agreed that a 600CC is too big of a bike. Im still a strong believer that the Pre-exam lessons and the rigid requirments expected of you in the exam in Europe is way more advanced than the requirments in North America right now. You talk about a MVSF course but we have a course that is numerous times more intense and detailed and that is absolutley compulsory for every driver in the Netherlands. Not optional like it is for your folks. I just came across a 23 year old guy yesterday with a Brand New GSX-R as his first bike. It was never a discussion of too big too powerful. The average time it takes for a license in Holland is four months due to the intensive lessons/training curriculum. You cant say there is anything even similar in your part of the world.

So now that I have pissed off your folks on that side of the world Im hoping you all acticulate how wrong and inexperienced my commentary is. :( Be sure to be constructive though huh. Derogatory, destructive behaviour get you no where :laughing: :evil: :twisted:
glad you're doing well with your bike. I just naturally am a smart "O Ring". Ignore me as you see fit.
Maybe dutch is your first language. I was riffing on your use of the word assimilate, which means to absorb or incorporate mulitple things into one thing.
It sounds like if we were required to get the same kind of training in the US as y'all get in the Netherlands there would be better newbie bikers here.
When the devil came, he was not red,
he was chrome and he said "come with me"
-Wilco

2006 Aprilia Scarabeo 50 4T
2005 Moto Guzzi Nevada 750 ie

Peter Y
Veteran
Veteran

#68 Unread post by Peter Y »

glad you're doing well with your bike. I just naturally am a smart "O Ring". Ignore me as you see fit.
Maybe dutch is your first language. I was riffing on your use of the word assimilate, which means to absorb or incorporate mulitple things into one thing.
It sounds like if we were required to get the same kind of training in the US as y'all get in the Netherlands there would be better newbie bikers here
Hey thanks for the comments. My native tongue is English but thats what happens to your English when you travel for over 10 years and live and work in five different countries. You just allocate "high level" meanings to words as you see fit :laughing:

As mentioned in this forum previously I have a post with the same 600CC first bike question in Europe. I got 100 hits with 15 responses in the first hour. Im going to compile some of the responses later on so you folks can compare. I think its going to be great to see the differing opinions on the same topic from mutually passionate riders on other sides of the world.

C YA

Apollofrost
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#69 Unread post by Apollofrost »

+1 on jumbled vocabulary. A while ago I somehow combined "down payment" and "deposit" to form "Downposit"
I'm starting a petition to cull narrowminded dull people - be afraid Peter, be very afraid....
-Anonymous

Peter Y
Veteran
Veteran

Re: You are a Beginner and want a 600cc+ sportbike? READ TH

#70 Unread post by Peter Y »

OH MY GOD HE'S NEW AND HE HAS A 600CC, HOW COULD YOU DO SUCH A THING!!! YEP IM NEW, I GOT IT AND I LOVE IT

Its a shame Im on the other side of the world otherwise you could all come round and convince me as to how wrong I am.

Last edited by Peter Y on Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.