You are a Beginner and want a 600cc+ sportbike? READ THIS!

Apollofrost
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Male

#21 Unread post by Apollofrost »

Why do I have a sudden urge to go bowling after that vid?
I'm starting a petition to cull narrowminded dull people - be afraid Peter, be very afraid....
-Anonymous

deejake
Regular
Regular

#22 Unread post by deejake »

apollofrost wrote:Why do I have a sudden urge to go bowling after that vid?
+1
ahahahahaha :laughing:

Fast Eddy B
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 02 Fazer FZS600

Unreasonable guidelines

#23 Unread post by Fast Eddy B »

I just read http://www.californiabikenights.com/learn/ and looked at their list of bikes for the "first 10,000 miles" (mostly 250's and gutless cruisers), for after that (some fantastic middleweights), and "don't even think about it" (R1, CBR600?) bikes.

It seems that people are scaremongering a bit about the bikes that a beginner should ride. Mine might be an unpopular view, but I think some of these guidelines are a little harsh. And, as many people know, most people will react to a harsh rule (or an unjust law) with disrespect.

The TMW guidelines on new bikers is very good. It makes a good case for holding off on a sportsbike. In particular, a 2007 R6 is such a focussed machine, that it probably makes a tough ride for most riders, not just beginners. The riding position, quick steering and lack of low-rev tourque will make city riding unbearable, and at worst, dangerous for some. It does not fit into the middleweight category even though by capacity, weight and (hp?) is does.

But in my experience, you can ride the bike the way you want to ride it. My CBR puts out 108hp at something like 11,000 RPM. Has that ever happened? I wouldn't know! I've got my eyes on the road and the cars! But I can assure you it's never seen the top side of 100 MPH, and its brakes get tested more than the engine does.

Should I get an R1? No way. Should we tell new bikers to spend 10,000 miles on a 250cc bike with 30-40 hp? You can, but I don't think its a reasonable recommendation. From my reading, nobody here is an absolutist, and says "one size fits all", but I would recommend people to try some bikes, perhaps by renting if you can, and go with the one ya's likes.

Ya!
02 Fazer 600

WVUChrome
Regular
Regular

Re: Unreasonable guidelines

#24 Unread post by WVUChrome »

Fast Eddy B wrote:Should we tell new bikers to spend 10,000 miles on a 250cc bike with 30-40 hp? You can, but I don't think its a reasonable recommendation. From my reading, nobody here is an absolutist, and says "one size fits all", but I would recommend people to try some bikes, perhaps by renting if you can, and go with the one ya's likes.
For the average Joe who has never ridden a motorcycle before, yes. We should tell them that. However, for people who have dirt experience or other riding experience, you are correct, it is a little harsh.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fa3pt6ngjJ0& ... ed&search=

This video is exactly why people with no riding experience at all should stick with a small bike. Yes, doing that same thing is possible on a 250cc, but the likelyhood is much less and the damage done to both rider and bike will also likely be much less.

Later,
WVUChrome...

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#25 Unread post by flynrider »

I wouldn't tell anyone that they need to spend 10,000 miles on a small bike. I would tell them to start on a lower powered bike, to reduce the potential damage and injury of common noob mistakes. More power and twichier brakes make that potential go up.

How and when they move up to a more powerful bike is a personal decision. At least they will have gotten most of the basic noob goofs out of the their systems by then. Once basic brake, throttle and steering control become things that you no longer have to think about, it doesn't really matter what you move up to.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

intotherain
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
My Motorcycle: FZ6

#26 Unread post by intotherain »

How do you know when you are advanced enough for a bigger bike??

mercurydreams
Rookie
Rookie

#27 Unread post by mercurydreams »

As a noobie looking to get into riding, especially with sportbikes, i would like to say thank you for posting this article.
Those that give up essental liberty for freedom deserve neither freedom nor liberty

Nefersiti
Rookie
Rookie

First Bike

#28 Unread post by Nefersiti »

Great article, glad to see it posted. At least it made me feel like I'm doing the right thing..as far as choosing the first bike. "It is my fisrt bike, not my last...' Anyway, I'm a beginner myself, last time I rode a bike I was maybe 16...that was more than ten years ago. I just started riding again last summer...after my husband found a bike he thought is perfect for me.
I am about 5'1 (maybe5' even.. :wink: ), and I weigh less than a hundred pounds. Finding the right bike is tricky for me..years ago when I first started riding, I was looking at getting a Yamaha TZR 250..since it belonged to friend and I was used to it. My feet kinda tiptoed on them though.and I never bought it.
Now I have a Kawasaki Eliminator BN125...yes it is a teeny weeny bike..
but i'm a teeny weeny person. I love my bike,it rides so nicely and I only ride it around town. There are times I wished I had at least a 250 cc, but
I'm getting my riding skills down riding my Eliminator since its such a great bike to learn on. Most importantly, I am very comfortable with this bike and it fits me...size wise..Eventually,I may get a 250cc or something..that's probably the biggest I would go considering my height and weight. I know I don't ride the biggest and baddest bike, but I find comfort in knowing that its a reat beginner's bike that I can handle. :P

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Re: First Bike

#29 Unread post by Wrider »

Nefersiti wrote:Great article, glad to see it posted. At least it made me feel like I'm doing the right thing..as far as choosing the first bike. "It is my fisrt bike, not my last...' Anyway, I'm a beginner myself, last time I rode a bike I was maybe 16...that was more than ten years ago. I just started riding again last summer...after my husband found a bike he thought is perfect for me.
I am about 5'1 (maybe5' even.. :wink: ), and I weigh less than a hundred pounds. Finding the right bike is tricky for me..years ago when I first started riding, I was looking at getting a Yamaha TZR 250..since it belonged to friend and I was used to it. My feet kinda tiptoed on them though.and I never bought it.
Now I have a Kawasaki Eliminator BN125...yes it is a teeny weeny bike..
but i'm a teeny weeny person. I love my bike,it rides so nicely and I only ride it around town. There are times I wished I had at least a 250 cc, but
I'm getting my riding skills down riding my Eliminator since its such a great bike to learn on. Most importantly, I am very comfortable with this bike and it fits me...size wise..Eventually,I may get a 250cc or something..that's probably the biggest I would go considering my height and weight. I know I don't ride the biggest and baddest bike, but I find comfort in knowing that its a reat beginner's bike that I can handle. :P
Oh come on! With your height and weight, your first bike should be at least a 1K sporty! lol Nah, just kidding with ya, glad to hear you found one that fits you, even at 6'2" when I climb over some of them, I'm just tip-toeing... I can't imagine trying to find a larger one that'd fit your frame. Have a good one and let us know how it works out!
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Nefersiti
Rookie
Rookie

#30 Unread post by Nefersiti »

Wrider,
I actually had a lot of fun riding it around town last summer and rode it to work sometimes. I teach in a school, and last summer school I had the kids excited when I rode my bike to work. They thought it was the coolest thing, my little 3-6 yrs old were talking to their parents abt motorcycles all the time! Some of the elementary kids asked if they could watch me ride out of the parking lot when I leave..I got 4-5 yr old girls saying they wanna ride a motorcycle now, not a pony or a horse.. :twisted:
Well, I can't wait to ride again this coming season..winter had me lovesick
for my motorcycle :cry:
I enjoy my "quiet" time with my bike,(u know my bike is so quiet my neighbor had no idea I was riding in circles in his backyard.)..
No kids fighting in the back seat and no husband telling me to slow down the minivan!! :laughing: