You are a Beginner and want a 600cc+ sportbike? READ THIS!

Apollofrost
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Male

#81 Unread post by Apollofrost »

Good luck and buy some good gear just in case.
I'm starting a petition to cull narrowminded dull people - be afraid Peter, be very afraid....
-Anonymous

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Re: Looking to buy a bike.

#82 Unread post by jonnythan »

jackc34 wrote:
Scoutmedic wrote:
jackc34 wrote:Hi,I'm just buying my first motorcycle,I wanted a Sport bike,I saw 2006 Honda Intercepter on the Honda site,But after reading the post about 600cc bikes and beginers I thought I should ask you guys what would be a good bike,

My other choice even though it's not as cool looking was the Ninja 250.

Can you guys give me any seggustions? :?
Have you checked out the Beginner's Guide? There are also stickies and the Learn To Ride A Motorcycle page which is now downloadable in PDF format (Created and maintained by Dragonhawk).

Yea,Well I've decided on a 2007 Honda CBR600cc Supersport,I've heard all this stuff about the 600cc,but I'm going for it.anyways thanks for the tips.Wish me luck.
This is kind of like buying a Formula 1 car as your first car. I'm not even exaggerating. It really is.

Good luck, buy quality gear, and wear it every time you get on the bike.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Re: Looking to buy a bike.

#83 Unread post by Sev »

jonnythan wrote:
jackc34 wrote:
Scoutmedic wrote:
jackc34 wrote:Hi,I'm just buying my first motorcycle,I wanted a Sport bike,I saw 2006 Honda Intercepter on the Honda site,But after reading the post about 600cc bikes and beginers I thought I should ask you guys what would be a good bike,

My other choice even though it's not as cool looking was the Ninja 250.

Can you guys give me any seggustions? :?
Have you checked out the Beginner's Guide? There are also stickies and the Learn To Ride A Motorcycle page which is now downloadable in PDF format (Created and maintained by Dragonhawk).

Yea,Well I've decided on a 2007 Honda CBR600cc Supersport,I've heard all this stuff about the 600cc,but I'm going for it.anyways thanks for the tips.Wish me luck.
This is kind of like buying a Formula 1 car as your first car. I'm not even exaggerating. It really is.

Good luck, buy quality gear, and wear it every time you get on the bike.
No... buying a motogp bike would be like buying a formula one race car.

I don't think it's a good idea, but I learned a long time ago that you're not going to convince someone of their own mortality... or lack of experience. So, imo it's his money to do with as he likes, and he's welcome to take style as the only consideration when buying a bike. Hopefully he'll fall into the smaller portion of this group and not get hurt because of the bike. But only time will tell.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

Nalian
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#84 Unread post by Nalian »

Peter Y wrote:
Nalian wrote:Peter - you have your opinion and others have theirs. I don't think you're going to prove anything going on a tangent. ;)
U know considering the online bashing I got I think im being totally mild in my response. But wait give it a day or so Im going to come back with some interesting data for your folks to review. Same topic same circumstances and differing views. I just think you need to question the status quo and not be "conditioned" to just agree with what you read or others say. :mrgreen:
I'm not 'conditioned' nor am I just accepting the status quo. I agree with the reasoning that it is not the smart thing to do to buy a bike with crazy amounts of horsepower for your first bike. When you're learning to ride on the street, there are so many variables that can go wrong. I don't see any reason to add another thing that can go wrong to it.

You feel comfortable with something more than that after your 4 months of training - awesome, I'm glad you feel that way. It's your body and you can do whatever you want to it. However, I would tell anyone I loved or cared about to start with something 60 hp or under. My own experiences with riding bikes of various power, etc, tell me that it is the best set of advice I can give to someone new. You telling me that a bunch of dudes in some other country disagree doesn't really mean anything, as I've based my opinion on my own experiences. Their experiences and conclusions are likely different, and that's fine.

My comment to you was because you're repeatedly debating with folks who have their minds made up, likely because of their own experiences. If you have actual new information such as statistics or something to bring to the table..awesome. Please do so. If you want to repeatedly go "nu uh, these other guys said you're wrong!" then I think you're wasting people's time. By all means, keep doing so if that makes you happy. But I do think you're wasting your time.

It's a pretty bad assumption to think that people who disagree with you are doing so only because they are going along with what others have said, rather than their own experiences.

BTW - your katana has a rear wheel horsepower estimates at 65-68, which is nowhere near the 600cc supersports mentioned that this entire topic is about. Plenty of them are double your bike.

Fast Eddy B
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 02 Fazer FZS600

#85 Unread post by Fast Eddy B »

Good stuff, ride the Katana. Should have low power and torque at low RPM to not flip it, and with Euro training, and more good attention and training, some good fun.

As far as changing peoples minds here, mmmm, we'll see. As far as measuring them, you have all the info you need.

Later!
02 Fazer 600

Peter Y
Veteran
Veteran

#86 Unread post by Peter Y »

It's a pretty bad assumption to think that people who disagree with you are doing so only because they are going along with what others have said, rather than their own experiences.

BTW - your katana has a rear wheel horsepower estimates at 65-68, which is nowhere near the 600cc supersports mentioned that this entire topic is about. Plenty of them are double your bike
OK I think you have captured the key pieces that are causing me the biggest frustration. You yourself say that the bike I have purchased is no comparison to a supersports 600cc. I have said this numerous times in my comments also but it was falling on deaf ears. I also pointed out the different circumstances i was in ( In Europe/training etc) At the end thats why I posted a picture of my bike. Hoping the visual aspect might help people put reason to my logic.

The reason I think people were being influenced by others also is because a majority of the responses would also quote a previous response and back it up with additional commentary.

To be fair I did get responses also confirming that a Katana was a timid 600cc and it was not as dangerous as a supersports but these were at minimal.

Im just trying to say that You cant just say NO to a 600CC without understanding the underlying details (Katana vs GSX-RR etc ). I strongly feel that this is whats happened here.Im not going to give up on this as I believe im right and I have enought confidence in myself to keep pushing the point until this is acknowledged. I didnt go out and buy a race bike.

PS: I watched your blog. Its cool 8)

Peter Y
Veteran
Veteran

#87 Unread post by Peter Y »

Fast Eddy B wrote:Good stuff, ride the Katana. Should have low power and torque at low RPM to not flip it, and with Euro training, and more good attention and training, some good fun.

As far as changing peoples minds here, mmmm, we'll see. As far as measuring them, you have all the info you need.

Later!
Eddy,

Thanks a million for your supportive comments. Im absolutley committed in getting this right. I didnt buy a F1 bike. I got a "sunday riders" bike. Nice weather, lazy sunday afternoon "lets ride" ( I hope I havent pissed off other Katana riders by saying this :laughing: ).

Nalian
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#88 Unread post by Nalian »

Peter Y wrote:OK I think you have captured the key pieces that are causing me the biggest frustration. You yourself say that the bike I have purchased is no comparison to a supersports 600cc. I have said this numerous times in my comments also but it was falling on deaf ears. I also pointed out the different circumstances i was in ( In Europe/training etc) At the end thats why I posted a picture of my bike. Hoping the visual aspect might help people put reason to my logic.
Absolutely. It's important to look at the horsepower/power output of the bike, not the engine size, etc. Your bike is borderline but I think people can do OK on it. After 4 months of training that you went through I don't see an issue with it at all. Whomever said that training is the same in the US as it is there is dead wrong.
Peter Y wrote:The reason I think people were being influenced by others also is because a majority of the responses would also quote a previous response and back it up with additional commentary.

To be fair I did get responses also confirming that a Katana was a timid 600cc and it was not as dangerous as a supersports but these were at minimal.
I think it was likely more of a lack of knowledge about the bike you were getting and its power output. Most people who want 600CC sportbikes are not looking at the katana..they're looking at the cbr's, r6's, etc.
Peter Y wrote:Im just trying to say that You cant just say NO to a 600CC without understanding the underlying details (Katana vs GSX-RR etc ). I strongly feel that this is whats happened here.Im not going to give up on this as I believe im right and I have enought confidence in myself to keep pushing the point until this is acknowledged. I didnt go out and buy a race bike.
I agree with you there - its always best to know what you're getting into. But, I think my original point still stands. I'm not sure what your goal in continuing to debate it is - do you want all the people who told you it was a bad idea for a first bike to come back and say you were right? I guess your crusade is just confusing me - although your fervor is second to none with this!

Peter Y wrote:PS: I watched your blog. Its cool 8)

Peter Y
Veteran
Veteran

#89 Unread post by Peter Y »

Nalian
I'm not sure what your goal in continuing to debate it is - do you want all the people who told you it was a bad idea for a first bike to come back and say you were right? I guess your crusade is just confusing me - although your fervor is second to none with this!
U know all I want is for people to understand they should not go out and just "generalise" about a certain topic without reading through the facts.

Not everyone is as passionate about issues as I am. I can imagine others who were absolutley right in their postings have received similar treamtment. Not everyone has the confidence to "fight" back as I have to prove a point. What then? Group pressure overpowers the minority views?

I must say I wouldnt mind those people who absolutley dammed my decision with my bike to come back and say "ooppss you got a point". but that will never happen. Their just probably reading this string whilst continuing to have "great" thoughts about me. :laughing: :laughing:

I HAVE A DREAM THAT ONE DAY PEOPLE WILL BE FROWNED UPON FOR HAVING THE WRONG TYPE OF 600CC FOR A FIRST BIKE RATHER THAN JUST HAVING A 600CC AS A FIRST BIKE :laughing: :laughing: .

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#90 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

Peter Y wrote:
Nalian
I'm not sure what your goal in continuing to debate it is - do you want all the people who told you it was a bad idea for a first bike to come back and say you were right? I guess your crusade is just confusing me - although your fervor is second to none with this!
U know all I want is for people to understand they should not go out and just "generalise" about a certain topic without reading through the facts.

Not everyone is as passionate about issues as I am. I can imagine others who were absolutley right in their postings have received similar treamtment. Not everyone has the confidence to "fight" back as I have to prove a point. What then? Group pressure overpowers the minority views?

I must say I wouldnt mind those people who absolutley dammed my decision with my bike to come back and say "ooppss you got a point". but that will never happen. Their just probably reading this string whilst continuing to have "great" thoughts about me. :laughing: :laughing:

I HAVE A DREAM THAT ONE DAY PEOPLE WILL BE FROWNED UPON FOR HAVING THE WRONG TYPE OF 600CC FOR A FIRST BIKE RATHER THAN JUST HAVING A 600CC AS A FIRST BIKE :laughing: :laughing: .
Yeah, yeah, so you bought a Katana... good for you. I still wouldn't recommend that for a first bike for American riders. I usually stick to the 50/500 rule (under 50 hp and under 500 lbs). With your 4 months euro experience (which you didn't mention in the first place), you are probably fine, but 99% of the riders on here don't get that kind of treatment. The katana has over 50 hp, and is very close to 500 lbs. More importantly, it carries its weight in an awkward top-heavy fashion that I don't recommend for new riders.

You like your bike, good for you. You still won't get me to recommend it to someone who is a true beginner as their first bike.
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale
1979 KZ650B - Work in progress
2005 Ducati SS 1000DS - sold :'(
1994 VFR750 Interceptor - sold
1984 VF700F Interceptor - sold
2004 Hyosung GV250 - sold