shane-o
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 17
My Motorcycle: VTR1000

#21 Unread post by shane-o »

could be a good excuse to go retro

triumph bonny, thruxton etc
[url=http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ragingtux.jpg][img]http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6403/ragingtux.th.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7103/thhitlerbx91kg4.gif[/img][/url]
By [url=http://profile.imageshack.us/user/su_tux]su_tux[/url]

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

Re: Starter bikes for fat dudes

#22 Unread post by ofblong »

flw wrote:
zenman wrote: So my 2 cents is go with a cruiser with at least 500 cc's but not over 750 and at least 5 gears. Warning Honda has a shadow 600 (cc's) that has only 4 gears and stuggles with anyone to be on the highway due to gearing, not the power or size of rider. Otherwise nice bike.
Im sorry but im 5'8" (was 212 but im down to 194 now) and I have the 4 speed and cruise at 95mph on the highway with no issues whatsoever. The bike does over 100mph with me on it (speedo only shows 105). I dont know where you heard it struggles but it definatly does not struggle. You may "think" it struggles because of the sound but thats because it doesnt have a 5th cruising gear. thats all 5th gear is a cruising gear.
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

big_ry_ry
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2007 yamaha VStar 1100 classic

#23 Unread post by big_ry_ry »

to be honest find something with a comfortable seat and leg room. I am probally the biggest guy on the site (not bragging) and i found that a seat makes the world of difference, also makes the difference between wanting to ride for a while or just for short trips. My last bike 82 650 maxim was not the most comfortable for me, it was a great beginner bike but after 20 minutes i was cramping up.

Bought my new bike v star 1100 and plenty of room, i really did not want the engine size, I mainly did it for the room and comfort, i would prefer the 650 or a 750 but i found something that was comfortable for me and when i took it out for her maiden voyage last week i did 60 miles and was pretty much comfy!!!!! So if you are worried about comfort the best thing to do is find a dealer that will let you test drive one or a used model like it. The last thing you want to do is spend even 1k on a bike you don't like to ride due to comfort.

Also do you plan to ride 2up?
If so bring them along (wife/girlfriend) have them sit on the back to see if you have enough room for both. My old bike i was sitting halfway up the gas tank. Just some things to consider from my point of view!

PS not listing my weight :oops:

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#24 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

secgeek wrote:Im a fat dude... have an Aprilia scarabeo 250 (scooter) it got me around pretty well topped out highway at 90... Bought a Nighthawk 750... Sweet bike and more then enough power for me (standard) one of the best learning bikes out there...

Just bought a Shadow spirit 750... Had my wife on it today Im about 280 she is 160 or so... Got comfortably up to 75 on the highway... Although I will definitely have to go bigger next season..
Ohh, a Shadow Spirit 750 after a Nighthawk 750 is a major power downgrade... about half the horsepower to be exact. Nighthawk has about 68 hp and 46 ft-lbs to the wheels, and the shadow has 37hp and 40ft-lbs to the wheels.

I can see why you would want to move up. If you were comfortable with the power and speed of the Nighthawk, you can probably pick any cruiser you are comfortable on (including being comfortable handling their weight). Just be mindful that the bigger cruisers are a definite handful at low speeds!

To the original poster:
You have been given good advice in this thread. Stick small to start, then move up once you have some miles under your belt.
At your size, skip the rebel, it is made for tiny, tiny people. I would recommend the Shadow Spirit or Aero 750, the Suzuki M50 or C50, the Kawasaki Vulcan 500, 750, or 800, or the Yamaha V-Star 650.
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale
1979 KZ650B - Work in progress
2005 Ducati SS 1000DS - sold :'(
1994 VFR750 Interceptor - sold
1984 VF700F Interceptor - sold
2004 Hyosung GV250 - sold

flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

#25 Unread post by flw »

ofblong wrote:
flw wrote:
zenman wrote: So my 2 cents is go with a cruiser with at least 500 cc's but not over 750 and at least 5 gears. Warning Honda has a shadow 600 (cc's) that has only 4 gears and stuggles with anyone to be on the highway due to gearing, not the power or size of rider. Otherwise nice bike.
Im sorry but im 5'8" (was 212 but im down to 194 now) and I have the 4 speed and cruise at 95mph on the highway with no issues whatsoever. The bike does over 100mph with me on it (speedo only shows 105). I dont know where you heard it struggles but it definatly does not struggle. You may "think" it struggles because of the sound but thats because it doesnt have a 5th cruising gear. thats all 5th gear is a cruising gear.
What I said came directly from a dealer. Honda of Rockford (Illinois). Most dealers won't downgrade there own bikes. Yet I believe you if you have one and its not on the virge of destruction at those speeds.

As far as the purpose of 5th gear, it depends on the type of bike its made for. Dirt or sport bikes don't use 5th gear to cruise, where touring or cruisers do.

Terp
Rookie
Rookie

#26 Unread post by Terp »

I've been lurking on this site for a while and went ahead and registered an account. I've picked up some useful info here. This is my first post - so here goes.

Interesting discussion, as I went through this same process recently. I rode mostly off-road bikes when I was younger, got my license at 16, and then sold everything right after college. After about a 26 year layover of not riding anything, I took the MSF class and got my license again.

I began looking at different motorcycles with the goal of getting some riding skills back with the ultimate goal of purchasing a touring bike in a few years (leaning towards the Goldwing or BMW). After sitting on numerous bikes, going to a motorcyle show, and talking with some folks, I recently bought a nice 2003 Honda 750 Shadow ACE that had some upgrades such as a mustang seat, saddle bags, V&H exhaust, windshield, new grips, pegs, etc. Then I had to get some new gear - helmet, gloves, jacket.

I haven't ridden alot due to weather, but it seems to be what I was looking for. Its comfortable and seems to have enough power, but controlled power. Besides, I think that when I do purchase a touring bike, The ACE will be nice to keep in the garage for those short trips or just a afternoon cruise.
On the road again,
Goin' places that I've never been.
Seein' things that I may never see again,
And I can't wait to get on the road again.

celt
Elite
Elite

#27 Unread post by celt »

i was fatter than i am now when i owned my first bike, an '03 Honda Ace 750. (good choice, terp! :))

it was a great first bike, being a larger fellow.

but i bet that i'd be a better rider sooner, though, if i bought something smaller and lighter to build my confidence and learn all the essentials on after i took the msf...

deejake
Regular
Regular

#28 Unread post by deejake »

This thread started almost a year ago :wtf:

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#29 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I would think comfortable ergonomics would be #1 rather than bike power overall. Seat, handlebar and legroom would be tops on my list.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Deuce_Nukem
Rookie
Rookie

#30 Unread post by Deuce_Nukem »

I'm also a fat dude...but less typically fat...

im 18, weigh 310, and am about 5'7".....

a friend of mine just got an 03 zx-6r... i wouldnt dare try to ride it... not only because it's all shiny and new(been dropped once by previous owner, but in great condition), but also begause if it werent for the 1/2inch padon my vans, i'd be standing on my toenails...

just the felling of sitting on tha thing was exhilarating... but i know i could never really ride it... it's too damned tall.. the weight, the controls.. everythign felt awesome... btu i was stretched too far forward just to grab the bars, and i couldnt have walked the bike becasue there wasnt enough of my feet touching the ground.

i'm sure the MSF course ill be taking in 2 weeks will have a bike i can ride... but i'm veryconcerned about what's the right bike for my fairly unique situation... I need somethign small enough that i can be confortable on, but that is fully capableof moving me arud in a hurry if i find myself in that situation... (read: merging on I24 35 miles outside nashville... semi just a little close... and gaining...)

i need a bike that has the power to get me up to speed and keep me out of trouble, but also one that is friendly enough that i'm not going to loop it if i should panic for a milisecond...

i've read the entire "want a 600cc bike" post... and i dont... that zx-6r is too much for me... but i don't want a 250.... i'd be constantly concerned with "what if i need to move"... so much so that the enjoyment of riding wouldnt overcome the stress and anxiety of being on such a tiny conservatively powered bike. (ninja 250 has load rating of like 340lbs... i dont feel comfortable with that.... sorry)

iveheard a few things about a suzuki 400.. thought it sounded like a good potential but havent had time to look it up... ive also been thinking about the sv650... but being my size, my legs dont crumple and fold like some people's do... andive heard the pegs are a little high for some people...

anyway.. any advise or counsil is appreciated...

and happy easter..
-------
One cannot have an end without a beginning... and one cannot have discipline without experience... but one can never have a beginning, discipline, or experience without half a brain to decide when too much is....