What basic gear to buy for MSF class?

newguy45
Rookie
Rookie

What basic gear to buy for MSF class?

#1 Unread post by newguy45 »

Hello....

I'm new to everything and I'm kind of intimidated because I know pretty much nothing about motorcycles. But I got my permit and signed up for the MSF class, which is next week. Anyway, I'm supposed to bring my own:

1. DOT approved helmet
2. Eye protection
3. Full-fingered gloves
4. Boots that cover the ankle

none of which I have. Does anyone have recommendations about what to buy? Really as cheap as possible is best. I plan on upgrading equipment later once I have better cash-flow, so I'm definitely not looking for premium stuff.

Thanks for all help you can provide because I'm completely clueless....

dieziege
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#2 Unread post by dieziege »

If you really need to go cheap, walmart can supply.

Boots are $35. Gloves... get some leather/deerskin work gloves for another $10-20. Full faced helmet covers helmet and eye protection. You really should get the best you can afford. If you really are broke, Walmart sells Bell DOT approved full-face helmets for $70 or so.

My advice... don't do that. Start at a motorcycle shop with a good helmet selection and find a few that really fit. Then try on the Walmart and other cheap helmets if you want... but buy the best fitting helmet you can afford. If the choice is between an uncomfortable helmet for $70 and a comfortable one for $200, you'll be a lot better off with the comfortable one even if it means skimping on other stuff for a while.

Honestly, I think the "cheap" motorcycle boots suck. For $70 you get something that may not be any better than a $35 work boot. If you go for the motorcycle boots, get decent ones.

Gloves... again, Harbor Freight, walmart, etc all sell leather gloves that will protect well enough for the MSF class. Motorcycle gloves are better... they are cut better and from what I've seen they tend to fit better. But they will cost at least $30 and good gloves will cost well over $100.
Ride it like you think owning it matters.

newguy45
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by newguy45 »

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I should just suck it up and buy decent stuff from the beginning. I'll stop by a motorcycle shop first and see what is there. I don't want to get ripped off by overzealous salesmen though. I'm vulnerable to that since I'm new to the hobby.

Are there motorcycle boots that work as regular everyday boots too, or is it a really specialized kind of boot?

Thanks again

CNF2002
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male

#4 Unread post by CNF2002 »

All my MSF required was a DOT helmet at least 3/4 and boots (not necessarily MC boots). In fact the one guy with big steel-toe hard-ankle boots was having the most trouble getting his toe right to shift.

And a long sleeved shirt + pants (no slacks). And MC gloves.
2002 Buell Blast 500 /¦\
[url=http://www.putfile.com][img]http://x10.putfile.com/3/8221543225.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=11790]Confessions of a Commuter[/url]

sharpmagna
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#5 Unread post by sharpmagna »

Buy a nice helmet man, don't cheap out on that since it is suppose to save your melon in a crash.

You won't need eye protection if your helmet has a visor

Any full fingered gloves will work, if you have a cheap set of leather gloves at home it should be acceptable.

I used my hiking boots for the MSF course.

If you have any questions on the gear you want to use, bring them the first day (first day normally goes over the booklet) so you can ask your instructors if they are acceptable.

I would definitely get motorcycle specific gear though. The gloves will be cut so they are in a natural position that grips the handlebar. Jackets are cut so arms are a bit longer etc.
1987 Honda <B>SUPER</B> Magna
[i]Bikesexual - I like to ride it long and hard...[/i]

Z (fka Sweet Tooth)
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#6 Unread post by Z (fka Sweet Tooth) »

For the MSF class they will even let you wear high top sneakers, ideally though you should get something that has an oil resistant bottom.

dieziege
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#7 Unread post by dieziege »

The solution to being suckered by helmet salespeople is to not ask the salespeople for help. :D

There is a helmet fit sticky up near the top of this forum... but basically remember you want a comfortable but skin-tight fit and you don't want the helmet to roll off your head. Take enough time to get familiar with the helmets. I've seen plenty of people walking around motorcycle shops wearing one of the sample helmets as they looked at jackets; nobody's going to think you are weird... well... not any weirder than they are anyway. :laughing:

I wore a pair of $35 walmart steel toed boots to the MSF class. They worked fine. I wore a pair of $30 MC gloves and they were probably too warm but also worked fine (I bought another pair afterwards that is much lighter). A $5 pair of harbor freight gloves would have been just as good. I had a jacket that I never even put on (one person had a leather jacket but no long sleeved shirt... they were miserable the whole time), and a nice helmet.
Ride it like you think owning it matters.

Andrew13
Veteran
Veteran

#8 Unread post by Andrew13 »

Any comfortable boot or shoe that comes up over your ankle will be fine, just tie 'em reasonably tight and tuck the laces in.

For the MSF class any jacket will do, you won't be going that fast. On the road a heavy denim jacket is the minimum protection I've ever seen recommended. A heavy leather jacket or a proper synthetic biker jacket is best. Don't bother with thin fashion weight leather, the denim is tougher. :laughing:

Any gloves will do, Motorcycle gloves will be more comfortable. I own two pairs, one mesh for hot days, one insulated for cold days, That keeps me comfortable from 36 deg and raining to over 100 deg and sunny.

A helmet is critical. You're better off with a helmet and naked than you are in a full leather one piece with no helmet. (Helmet and naked is still not recommended.) Things to look for in a helmet: Good ventilation will keep you comfortable on hot days. Try it on in the store, it should fit snugly, but not too tightly. It's better to get one a little too tight than too loose. It will break-in a little. Watch out for 'hotspots', that's a place where it really presses into your head, and after a while it will hurt. You have to get one that fits the shape of your skull. It you have a long narrow head like me, try the japanese makers like Shoei and Arai.

rnr262
Elite
Elite

#9 Unread post by rnr262 »

The following advice may depend on where you live, and your MSF provider.

When I took the course, they provided helmets. Now, many may not want to use a helmet others have used, but it may save you some money at the moment. (wear a head covering under it) Depending on where you buy your bike, you may get a helmet tossed in. I bought my first bike (used of course) from a dealership, and they did toss in a helmet, a nice Full Face HJC. (they let me choose from any in stock) When I bought my second bike, they gave me a 20% discount on any equipment in the store, that day only.

Also, on the first day of the course, several vendors had provided coupons and info that the instructors had laid out for us to look through and choose from. You may get some sort of discount there. (I used one on my jacket)

For my course, I wore hiking boots, running gloves, and a long sleeve shirt. I didn't lay out any money until I bought the bike.

Of course, I think everyone will love riding, but it's good to not spend a bunch of cash until you know. We spent weeks looking for a 3XL helmet for my husband and finally special ordered one. He hates riding, and we wasted a few hundred bucks.

Good luck, and have fun at your course!
01 Vulcan 750
05 Rebel

Brent
Veteran
Veteran

#10 Unread post by Brent »

All we had to provide was the over-the ankle bootsLong sleeve shirts and long pants. They furnishedHelmets and gloves. Course here in AZ we had to furnish the suntan lotion and they furnished the water. Was 110.
Last edited by Brent on Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.