Neutral at stops, or in gear?

buddhacide
Elite
Elite

Neutral at stops, or in gear?

#1 Unread post by buddhacide »

I seem to come accross alot of posts/editorials etc... that would indicate alot of riders put their bikes in neutral when stopped at lights/signs etc...What might be the advantage of doing this? It wasnt something I learned to do in the training course.
Last edited by buddhacide on Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current: 2008 Vulcan 900 custom
Previous: 1999 V-star 650 custom

dieziege
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#2 Unread post by dieziege »

It is easier to be killed by someone rear ending you? That's not what I'd consider an advantage but some people might. Other than that... it's less strain on your left hand (you know, holding that clutch in is a real chore) and you are less likely to stall the bike if someone waves at you and you forget you were holding the clutch and wave back.

As you might be guessing... I don't see much point in neutral. Certainly not while the bike is in traffic.
Ride it like you think owning it matters.

shane-o
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 17
My Motorcycle: VTR1000

Re: Neutral at stops, or in gear?

#3 Unread post by shane-o »

buddhacide wrote:I seem to come accross alot of posts/editorials etc... that would indicate alot of riders put their bikes in neutral when stopped at lights/signs etc...What might be the advantage of doing this? It wasnt something a learned to do in the training course.
A lot of guys do it.

I dont, my logic is, if i have to move quickly off for what ever reason, im poised and ready to go. I mean cars rear end cars at lights all the time, so if they cant see another car stopped what hope have we got, and if your in neutral you will be strandard and its gunna hurt.

just an opinion :)
[url=http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ragingtux.jpg][img]http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6403/ragingtux.th.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7103/thhitlerbx91kg4.gif[/img][/url]
By [url=http://profile.imageshack.us/user/su_tux]su_tux[/url]

Big B
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male

#4 Unread post by Big B »

the only time i've got my trans in neutral and i'm on the road is if i'm at an intersection where i can see far enough behind me (1/2 mile or more) and i need a stretch. otherwise, the rule of thumb is to match the gear you are in to the speed of the bike, if something happens, you're in a position to avoid it.
Come join the super cool fun fun brand new fresh scented Triumph Usergroup!
Fun for the whole Family!

sharpmagna
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#5 Unread post by sharpmagna »

I'll keep it in gear until a vehicle stops behind me. Once they are stopped, I'll throw it in neutral. It is nice to be able to stretch/flex your hands after riding around. Also it allows me to sit back and relax a bit before heading out again.
1987 Honda <B>SUPER</B> Magna
[i]Bikesexual - I like to ride it long and hard...[/i]

buddhacide
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by buddhacide »

Ok, so its basically to give the rider a break from the clutch (or to have a stretch). I havent really ridden that long. I havent really had occassion to get tired. I'll keep this in mind though.
Current: 2008 Vulcan 900 custom
Previous: 1999 V-star 650 custom

-Curly-
Elite
Elite

#7 Unread post by -Curly- »

I agree with Sharpmagna. Wait till there is a car or two behind you, then put it in neutral. Some lights stay red a long time.
2006 Yamaha VStar Custom
Green Knights Motorcycle Club
"Freedom Through Service"

dieziege
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#8 Unread post by dieziege »

The problem with throwing it in neutral when cars are behind you is that drivers do stupid things.... like forget that you are in front of them when the light changes. Someone on this forum posted a while back about a buddy that was rear-ended at a stop light because the light turned green and the cager nailed the gas and drove up his tailpipe. If you are in neutral when the light changes you are going to take longer to get rolling and that can be dangerous.

Neutral is to make oiling the chain and pushing the bike to a gas station easier.
Ride it like you think owning it matters.

rapidblue
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#9 Unread post by rapidblue »

I prefer to stay in gear as per the reasoning above.
80 honda CB750F Super Sport

sharpmagna
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#10 Unread post by sharpmagna »

I'm in gear before the light changes. I'm always looking around and when I see the other lights start changing I predict when my light will turn green and I throw it into first.

Being in gear may not have saved that guy either. He could still have been in gear and still have the car rear ended him. By the time you can react, you won't have many options.

I have shaft drive and I haven't even hit reserve yet... :)
1987 Honda <B>SUPER</B> Magna
[i]Bikesexual - I like to ride it long and hard...[/i]