What's the right way to wave?

canuckerjay
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male

#21 Unread post by canuckerjay »

I just hold up my hand and move it really, really fast between the 10:00 and 2:00 position -- just to get people thinking "nimrod". It's dumb, but it makes me smile.
Wherever you may roam
May you own your road.

Chris8187
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#22 Unread post by Chris8187 »

canuckerjay wrote:I just hold up my hand and move it really, really fast between the 10:00 and 2:00 position -- just to get people thinking "nimrod". It's dumb, but it makes me smile.
:laughing: That made me laugh out loud just imagining what someone would look like doing that.

bok
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#23 Unread post by bok »

i wanna see someone with a throttle lock do a "jazz hands" wave one day. I think i would laugh so hard i would ride into a ditch :laughing:
[url=http://www.toocoolmotorcycleschool.com]Best Motorcycle School[/url]
[url=http://flickr.com/groups/tmw/]Post your Pics[/url]
[url=http://www.californiabikenights.com/learn/]Learn to Ride[/url]

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#24 Unread post by storysunfolding »

When I'm by myself it depends. Sometimes in traffic when I'm holding the clutch I feel horrible not waving so I do the head flick. It's like "yo, I can't move my hands but I still respect your prowess on 2 wheels" all conveyed in a one inch up, one inch down movement while looking them straight in the eye/visor.

When I have hands free on a road with variable speed (traffic, lights, blind children playing etc) then I do a one hand wave of some sort. High five (I expect the slip stream so it dosen't jerk me around), low five, the infamous hang ten signal or my personal favorite pointer finger and thumb out in the shape of an L and point at them (confuses many riders and they can't see me laughing in my helmet).

When I'm on a stretch of road where I can hit the throttle lock then I sit up straight, cross both arms and give him a shocker with both hands.

When I have a girl on the back they are instructed to blow kisses... you know... because I'm nice like that.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Flting Duck
Elite
Elite

#25 Unread post by Flting Duck »

FYI:

If someone "waves" at you by putting their hand on top of their helmet it means that there is a cop ahead.

If someone "waves" at you by pushing their hand down flat, then it means slow down - as in there might be something dangerous like an accident scene around the next turn.

m1a1dvr
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#26 Unread post by m1a1dvr »

Thanks for that tip. I never knew that.
[img]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j270/m1a1dvr/dvrcopy.jpg[/img]

Henriettaah
Elite
Elite

#27 Unread post by Henriettaah »

We don't wave in the UK!

We nod. :biggrin:

snwbrdr
Elite
Elite

#28 Unread post by snwbrdr »

In Columbus it seems that there are two main forms of the wave accepted. they are:

1) Point at the ground next to you with two fingers, a low wave with only the pointer and middle finger extended.

2) the peace sign, dont give it in the high five position..if you do you're an idiot, but a nice low peace sign is the best way to go.

if your hands are too busy we also accept head nods. the nod can go up or down, but it depends on who you're nodding at. younger guy on a rocket, nod up. older dude and his woman on their gold wing, nice slow downward nod.

These are the only accepted forms of acknowledgement in columbus Ohio. Oh and here you are expected to wave, if you dont wave to someone who is waving they may just give u the onefinger wave.
"Life's like an hourglass glued to a table"

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#29 Unread post by NorthernPete »

strict rules down there....

I do the low two finger hello wave.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

Meanie
Legendary
Legendary

#30 Unread post by Meanie »

What is it with these wave rules and etiquette? If a rider doesn't wave according to another's method do they put you in a wave class?

I never start a wave, but if someone waves to me, I'll wave back. But there are many times I don't catch the wave on time, since I'm looking elsewhere, then I just let it go. There are many times I may wave above the bars, or raise my fingers while on the bars or I'll nod. I haven't a special wave like some have...I just wave.

There are many reasons why riders may not wave. Looking away or at something else, blinded by the sun, perhaps in the middle of shifting or they just don't feel like it.

Bottom line, if you want to develop your own little symbol, then do so. If you want to wave, then wave whatever way you feel like. If you want to do the Miss County Fair parade wave, so be it. If you don't want to wave, so be that also. BUt don't ever worry about what others think whatever your choice is. Just have fun riding and be safe.
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.