Good used bike for a new rider?

Kyinal
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Good used bike for a new rider?

#1 Unread post by Kyinal »

I just completed my safety course, and I am going to get my endorsement tomorrow, so now it's time to go hunting for a bike. I have motocross experience, but I discovered that in some cases that can be detrimental on the street.

I want to eventually ride a middleweight sportbike, not a standard bike made to look sporty or a tractable but heavier sportbike like the YZF-600. I'm not intending to be a squid who does wheelies down the freeway, but I want something I can eventually take on the track and have fun with. I want to carve corners, because that's just what I enjoy the most, it's not about raw speed or looks to me.

But, after reading what I have read here, I know I want something less powerful to start with, but still sporty enough to give me experience on the type of bike I want to ride. I -barely- fit on a Ninja 250 at 6'1", and the next step up in price is the GS500, which is more than I want to pay for my "First Bike" which I will likely lay down once or twice.

I'm not looking to spend more than 1-2K for my first bike. If I am going to drop a bike, I want it to be a used one.

Are there any out of production sportbikes with less power (I know that power has really creeped up over the years) that would be good to learn on?

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '06 Suzuki GSX-R 750

#2 Unread post by VermilionX »

they had GSX-R250s way before.

see if you can find one... i dunno though if they got sold here on the US but it maybe since they're 4 strokes.

http://www.motorbikes.be/en/Suzuki_GSX-R_250_1990.aspx

EDIT: fixed the link
Last edited by VermilionX on Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

moto_hanki
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by moto_hanki »

I don't think learning to ride on the same type of bike you want to ride in the future should be as important as just learning the basic skills you need to ride said future bike.
My first bike was a Honda Rebel, which you will not fit comfortably on, now I am riding a Seca II, which is a sport tourer and a 600. I would like to get a 650 Ninja or a SV650.

Get an 80's model standard and focus on your skills, then get the bike of your dreams.
Henri

1992 Seca II XJ600

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000

#4 Unread post by VermilionX »

nah, starting on a small sport bike is great if you wanna buy a bigger sportbike later.

too bad... we don't have small sportbikes here in the US except the hyosung which is still not common on dealerships.

in europe, bec of graduated licensing... 125cc sportbikes are popular o those that want to get bigger sportbikes later.

we don't have a graduated licsensing so manufacturers only have supersports and superbikes. starting on a supersport (600cc RR bike) is not uncommon but i wouldn't recommend it either.

the YZF600R is not as powerful as the R6 but it's still too much for beginners.

in the end it's your choice, take what advice you can here and then decide for yourself.

good luck.
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

Kyinal
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by Kyinal »

I changed my mind on the Ninja...I sat on one, and it really fit me better than I expected!

What's a typical "Good Deal" on a new one? $500 for assembly seems a bit high...

sharpmagna
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#6 Unread post by sharpmagna »

well if you're looking at buying a starter bike, then buy used. No need buy new if you already know that you'll be dropping it while learning. Also, since you're looking at a starter size bike, it should be easy to resell without taking a huge loss (as long as you don't drop it too much :wink: )

Check your local craigslist for some deals, but prepared to act quickly because starter bikes go quickly.
1987 Honda <B>SUPER</B> Magna
[i]Bikesexual - I like to ride it long and hard...[/i]

bok
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#7 Unread post by bok »

buy new only if you can't find a good used one in your area at a decent price.

the used ones hold their value fairly well so buying a new 250 isn't really a horrible idea, but if you can find one at the low end of the depreciation you can pick it up for say 1500 and sell it a year later at that same price.

or you could fix it up and take it to the track, (there are a bunch of people who race ex250s), and keep your shiny new sportbike for riding on the street
[url=http://www.toocoolmotorcycleschool.com]Best Motorcycle School[/url]
[url=http://flickr.com/groups/tmw/]Post your Pics[/url]
[url=http://www.californiabikenights.com/learn/]Learn to Ride[/url]

Baltimore Newbie
Veteran
Veteran

#8 Unread post by Baltimore Newbie »

yeah, like bok said, a used 250 is the way to go. I don't know your area but what I had to do where I live was to search craig's list in not just my city, but all of the surrounding area as well. I ended up with a used 2004 ex250 for 2k cash. Only had 900 miles on it when I got it and was in near perfect condition. So do a search on craig's, sometimes you can get really lucky.

on a side note, am I the only one who thinks that gsxr 250 looks like a katana and a ex250 had a baby? :laughing:

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000

#9 Unread post by VermilionX »

Baltimore Newbie wrote: on a side note, am I the only one who thinks that gsxr 250 looks like a katana and a ex250 had a baby? :laughing:
it just looks like an old sportbike, which is pretty much what the EX250 and 500 are.
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

Kyinal
Rookie
Rookie

#10 Unread post by Kyinal »

I've searched used, and generally I have had trouble finding an older bike at the low end of the depreciation curve in my area, they are a hot item it seems.

And because I will likely buy a used middleweight sportbike since they -do- depreciate, it may be the only new bike I ever buy.

I decided to get yellow, just for visibility purposes while I am learning, but I'm buying my gear in black and red or black and blue, since having un-matching gear will keep me from riding it forever, since I'll look like a total dork.