MAKER
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

New Starter Bike/Dropping It

#1 Unread post by MAKER »

New here. :D

Nice place.

So, I'm just starting out, passes the BRC, got my license, need a bike. I will probably be getting one in the next month or two.

My question is I here alot about not getting a new bike as a starter because you will "drop" it. Do you just mean balance wise? Or crashing the thing? I'm 6', 255. I'm looking at some cruisers (honda aero 750/yamaha vstar 650/suzuki C50). I think i can handle the weight. I need something a little chunkier because I am a big guy. Am I likely to actually drop these? I mean, I passed my BRC doing slow speed uturns, etc...

Would it be stupid to get a new one? Any ideas?

Thanks!
And thanks again, because I'm sure this type of question is repetitive. :lol:

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#2 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

You are just "more likely" to drop a bike as a new rider... either drop or crash. Statistically, a good deal of riders drop their bike in some way in the first 6 months of riding.

Many people don't though, me being one of them. If you have sense enough to practice in a parking lot a bunch, and are really careful not to make any dumb mistakes, you have a good chance of being alright. A lot of the "drops" are stupid things like not putting down the side stand, losing balance in the driveway, etc.

If you are attentive and careful (and not clumsy), you can probably avoid dropping your bike.

As for a crash... I would be more worried about the condition of the person than the bike.

EDIT:

I would probably still get a used bike if I were you. It saves you a bunch of money, and you will probably want to move up within a year of having your first bike. So I recommend trying to find one of those bikes you listed used, as they will be a lot cheaper, and save you the depreciation hit.

At your size, you would be fine on any of those bikes you listed.
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale
1979 KZ650B - Work in progress
2005 Ducati SS 1000DS - sold :'(
1994 VFR750 Interceptor - sold
1984 VF700F Interceptor - sold
2004 Hyosung GV250 - sold

MAKER
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by MAKER »

Ahh, good points. I would definatly be more worried about the rider than the bike! :)

Yeah, I've been looking for a used one too. The dealerships are ridiculous sometimes! I mean, they had a 05 vstar650 w/400 miles for 5800. meanwhile the new one was 5999. and it had a warranty. LOL

It stinks, I would feel more comfortable buying used from a dealer, because I feel llike I would have recourse if it was jacked. But from a private sale, I think I would get a better deal, but less security...

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#4 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

I've bought my 3 most recent bikes off craigslist and/or internet forums... they are working out great so far. I wouldn't be opposed to a dealer if I could actually get a fair deal.

Also, do your own work. Get the clymer manual for your bike, learn to do maintenance... it will save you tons of money. Most everything is pretty simple to do too.

Edit: Also, for your size, I would probably recommend one of the suzukis (either the M50 or the C50), over the V-Star 650. I am about your size (6'0 and 230ish), and I found the V-Star, while nice, to be a bit anemic. The Suzukis fit me a bit better too... I also liked the Hondas I sat on (both the Shadow Spirits, and the Shadow ACE). I didn't get a chance to ride the Hondas though.
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale
1979 KZ650B - Work in progress
2005 Ducati SS 1000DS - sold :'(
1994 VFR750 Interceptor - sold
1984 VF700F Interceptor - sold
2004 Hyosung GV250 - sold

Andrew
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#5 Unread post by Andrew »

For me, the weight has been the biggest issue. My bike is a top heavy 600+ pounds, and at below 5mph I have to be extremely careful. I worry about the day that I start to get really comfortable with it and get careless.

I bought used just because I could get a better deal, but you will definetly shed less tears if you drop a used bike vs. a new one.
2004 BMW K1200RS
[img]http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/images/smilies/BMWsmile.gif[/img]

dieziege
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#6 Unread post by dieziege »

When you are a new rider (like me... I have about 5100 miles now) it is very easy to misjudge how road crown, steering position, wind, and other factors will hit you as you come to a stop. On top of that, it is easy to end up with stiff legs from not using them much (especially when it is cold)... net result can be getting off a freeway, coming to a stop at the first light, and nearly overbalancing and falling over.

I've done that a few times... including this morning... I had to put my right foot down to keep from overbalancing at a stoplight that was right at the end of an offramp... my mistake was trying to set up to turn right at the corner (once the light changed) at the last minute and ending up stopping with the bike leaned to the right.

Now... those aren't really drops... but then again I have a 300lb bike... if it was 600lbs one of them might very well have turned into a drop.

On top of that it is easy to make a mistake if you practice low speed maneuvers. I did that... was in a parking lot practicing figure eights and tried going just a bit too slow... wound up standing on one leg holding the bike up under me... I don't count it a drop because nothing but tire ever touched the ground... but add 50lbs to the bike and I would've been unhappy and maybe limping for a few days.

That's why I think first bikes should have a very low center of gravity and be as light as possible. It's just too easy to have a moment's miscalculation or a lack of physical skill (and all new riders lack physical skill) turn into a real bummer.

But I don't think it is guaranteed that anyone will drop... and I bought my bike new because I don't really think drops damaging the bike represent that big a risk.
Ride it like you think owning it matters.

bok
Site Supporter - Platinum

#7 Unread post by bok »

the used bike vs. new bikes thing is usually a matter of money.

if you can get a 5+ year old bike for like 2 grand instead of a brand new bike for 6grand and learn on that for a year it makes a lot of sense. this way if you drop your bike, and it scratches up, you pick it up, laugh it off and go on your way. if you drop a new bike it hurts the ego a lot more.

it's been said time and again, and i believe it, that this will be your first bike, not your last/only bike so buy your dream bike as a second bike.

now, depending on the situation, i would buy new...like 5800 for a used bike and 6grand for the same bike but brand new

but if it were say 4500 vs. 6grand i'd lean more toward the 4500. See if you can talk the dealer down to the 4500 area on the used one...it gets used inventory off their floor and at 4500 they probably still make some money on it.
[url=http://www.toocoolmotorcycleschool.com]Best Motorcycle School[/url]
[url=http://flickr.com/groups/tmw/]Post your Pics[/url]
[url=http://www.californiabikenights.com/learn/]Learn to Ride[/url]

MAKER
Elite
Elite

#8 Unread post by MAKER »

:D

cool. yes, i wish i could find a bike that was lighter..i think the aero is 519? and night hawks we trained on were like 300, and that felt like i had a ten speed under me. the aero also has a really low seat (better for balance?) and feels big enough to not look goofy under me...i thought of a rebel, but i sat on it, and it felt like i was on a tricycle.

i absolutely will be praticing..and all the tips about the used bikes are making sense. i have considered gettign one from craigslist. i guess it's just a learning curve. hell, craigslists has lots of good ones reasonably priced. here's 1 reasnable priced i think (not an aero but..):

http://boston.craigslist.org/mcy/181419209.html

bok

#9 Unread post by bok »

i started on a used '01 spirit...heck it's still my only bike i love it for many reasons...when looking at cruiser types of bikes the 650-800cc range is not too huge a leap since it's not the same HP/torque like a supersport
Last edited by bok on Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.toocoolmotorcycleschool.com]Best Motorcycle School[/url]
[url=http://flickr.com/groups/tmw/]Post your Pics[/url]
[url=http://www.californiabikenights.com/learn/]Learn to Ride[/url]

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#10 Unread post by NorthernPete »

that bike on CL is pretty sweet......
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F