HALF, OPEN OR FULL HELMET FOR A CRUISER RIDER ?

BAJACRUISER
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male

HALF, OPEN OR FULL HELMET FOR A CRUISER RIDER ?

#1 Unread post by BAJACRUISER »

Hi, I´m going to receive a ´07 Suzuki Boulevard M50 black, next week and I have the next doubt:

10 years ago I had a Kawasaki EX500 and a Shoi full helmet that always use and like to wear.
Im sure that a full helmet is the most protective, but I think is not for the style of a Cruiser Rider, the half and open "goes" more with the image of the rider for this kind of bikes.
I live in La Paz, BCS, Mexico a small beach city, where many bikers doesnt use helmets, the police usually allowed this if you ride in the "malecon" (front shore). Anyway the fine is only 12 dolars

I´m decide to buy two helmets, a half or open helmet to ride in the city and malecon (this bike is only for enjoy rides, not transportation to work, shopping, etc) and a full helmet to travel en higways when I´ll ride to Cabo San Lucas some weekends.

One problem is that there are only four bike stores in this city, and no one have more than ten helmets in stock, and not in all sizes.

I know there are many stores in internet that sales helmets, but dont send to Mexico, because the Customs and the shipping is expensive.

So, What kind of helmet wear you?, Cruising rider...... a open or full helmet ?

Thanks for your opinion about this......

DirtyD86
Elite
Elite

#2 Unread post by DirtyD86 »

its a pretty simple thing. the less the helmet covers, the less protection you're going to have when (not if) you wreck. not only that, but getting hit in the face at 70mph with bugs and pebbles will make you cuss like a sailor for not having a full face.
2006 Yamaha R6 Raven

earwig
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#3 Unread post by earwig »

I always used to wear a 1/2 helmet... I have seen too many crash photots of helmets and everytime I see the front "face" part of a full-face helmet scratches/banged up I just think... that would be the person's face. Anyhow... I only wear full-face helmets. I think now-a-days as riders get more educated about safety more and more cruiser riders are wearing full-faces helmets... this is a personal choice. There are lots of morons out there that don't wear a helmet at all :D

hot_shoe_cv
Elite
Elite

Re: HALF, OPEN OR FULL HELMET FOR A CRUISER RIDER ?

#4 Unread post by hot_shoe_cv »

BAJACRUISER wrote:Hi, I´m going to receive a ´07 Suzuki Boulevard M50 black, next week and I have the next doubt:

10 years ago I had a Kawasaki EX500 and a Shoi full helmet that always use and like to wear.
Im sure that a full helmet is the most protective, but I think is not for the style of a Cruiser Rider, the half and open "goes" more with the image of the rider for this kind of bikes.
I live in La Paz, BCS, Mexico a small beach city, where many bikers doesnt use helmets, the police usually allowed this if you ride in the "malecon" (front shore). Anyway the fine is only 12 dolars

I´m decide to buy two helmets, a half or open helmet to ride in the city and malecon (this bike is only for enjoy rides, not transportation to work, shopping, etc) and a full helmet to travel en higways when I´ll ride to Cabo San Lucas some weekends.

One problem is that there are only four bike stores in this city, and no one have more than ten helmets in stock, and not in all sizes.

I know there are many stores in internet that sales helmets, but dont send to Mexico, because the Customs and the shipping is expensive.

So, What kind of helmet wear you?, Cruising rider...... a open or full helmet ?

Thanks for your opinion about this......
No question a full face helmet gives the most protection,,that being said, in addition to my Shoei Z-11 I have had to get another Shoei due to the extreme heat we have now in Arizona (the temp yesterday in PHx was 118F) I bought one of the new Shoei J Wings which is called a 3/4 helmet with a face shield. It's much cooler and still gives a lot of protection. You can check it out at accessories international.com and their prices are the lowest I have found, but you must call them for price. They also habla Espanol they are in Miami, Fla.
02 1500 Mean Streak
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a111/hot_shoe_cv/allaccessories.jpg

BAJACRUISER
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#5 Unread post by BAJACRUISER »

Earwing, thanks for your opinion..... Which bike you ride and which brand and model of full helmet your wear ?

And you Hot shoe, thanks too... and which bike you ride ?

I´m convinced that to use a full helmet is indispensable, I want to know which one is good styling for cruising bikes....

Nibblet99
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#6 Unread post by Nibblet99 »

I like my chin... although if it meant I wouldn't have to shave everyday...

To be honest, bike type is irrelivant

a 30mph dump from a cruiser = a 1 meter thud to the ground, and some uncontrollable sliding, where you loose some cowhide or skin, depending on the person

same on a sportsbike
Starting out responsibly? - [url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=24730]Clicky[/url]
looking for a forum that advocates race replica, 600cc supersports for learners on public roads? - [url=http://www.google.com]Clicky[/url]

sharpmagna
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#7 Unread post by sharpmagna »

If all you want is the "look" or "image" then of course the no helmet on a cruiser is the epitome of "bad "O Ring"". I think Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper, Marlon Brando and the like have created that image and people flock to it like flies to crap. Then of course if you HAVE to wear a helmet, then a skid lid 1/2 helmet will have to do.

I don't care what other people think of me when I ride my bike. I ride my bike for me. I wear a full face modular helmet by Nolan.
1987 Honda <B>SUPER</B> Magna
[i]Bikesexual - I like to ride it long and hard...[/i]

earwig
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#8 Unread post by earwig »

BAJACRUISER wrote:Earwing, thanks for your opinion..... Which bike you ride and which brand and model of full helmet your wear ?
First bike a Honda Shadow 750 cruiser. Second bike Buell Lightening XB12S. The helmet I wear most of the time (it fits me best) is a KBC with a flip up face part, I'm not sure of what model it is or whatever.

xk
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#9 Unread post by xk »

I read somewhere (maybe this forum??) a great quote from an MSF instructor about the full v half face helmet. It said "This is the best-looking face I will ever get. I can't afford to get any uglier! :D " Sound advice if u ask me

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Gold Wing

#10 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

I figure that I'm ugly enough as it is without getting uglier by leaving some of my face on the pavement or cage. To Hell with fashion, I wear a full face helmet.

I get teased by my riding buddies but, it's all in fun. They go hat-less in t-shirts and jeans. I, on the other hand, look like a Sportbiker with my blue full face helmet, textile jacket, gloves and riding jeans with knee pads.

They're finally getting used to waiting a couple extra minutes for me to get my gear on.