motorcycle shipping

NYCUSMC
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

motorcycle shipping

#1 Unread post by NYCUSMC »

Hello all, I just purchased a motorcycle on ebay and need information on how to ship it to my home address. If anybody knows of some companies you can recommend, it will be greatly appreciated. BTW it is being shipped from Mass to Colorado. Thanks

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#2 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Check air freights companies in your area. Expect $500-700.

Did you really buy it without checking into this first?
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

NYCUSMC
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by NYCUSMC »

It is like the chicken and the egg. You are telling me that I should have had the information before I purchased the motorcycle but I cannot get shipping information unless I have purchased the motorcycle. With many motorcycles being sold from numerous locations, it is difficult to get a solid idea. That is why I am asking.

storysunfolding

#4 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Maybe- but I was under the impression that you can call any air freight and ask them their going rates and availability.
My Blog

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

#5 Unread post by TechTMW »

No real advice, but you can get a quote at least from these guys -

http://www.auto-car-transport.com/motor ... index.html
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)

Meanie
Legendary
Legendary

#6 Unread post by Meanie »

NYCUSMC wrote:It is like the chicken and the egg. You are telling me that I should have had the information before I purchased the motorcycle but I cannot get shipping information unless I have purchased the motorcycle. With many motorcycles being sold from numerous locations, it is difficult to get a solid idea. That is why I am asking.
Actually, it's not. Once you know the bike, which I assume you did in advance since you were bidding on it, then you can obtain the info about it. With that info, you call shipping companies and compare their rates, transit time, dates of operation, estimated date of pick-up, availability of dates, etc. Then, when/if you are the winning bidder, or if you used the "buy it now" method, you would have an idea of the pick up date and with the info, you'd be prepared.

Unfortunately, I don't know a specific shipping company but most OTR companies will ship motorcycles, while there are a few who specialize in motorcycle shipping. Check out the back of motorcycle magazines where the ads are placed. I have seen a few ads for motorcycle shipping. If it were me, I'd fly there and ride back.
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

BLKNSLVR
Veteran
Veteran

#7 Unread post by BLKNSLVR »

Don't know much about this outfit, but I'm exploring doing some business with them. They're called U-ship and you get to them here: http://www.uship.com/ship/motorcycles/.

Good luck and I would be interested in how you fare with them.

Greg
www.openroadenterprises.com

Nalian
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#8 Unread post by Nalian »

storysunfolding wrote:Maybe- but I was under the impression that you can call any air freight and ask them their going rates and availability.
Yes you absolutely can.

storysunfolding

#9 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Nalian wrote:
storysunfolding wrote:Maybe- but I was under the impression that you can call any air freight and ask them their going rates and availability.
Yes you absolutely can.
I knew I wasn't crazy
My Blog

dieziege
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#10 Unread post by dieziege »

Just drive out, pick it up, and drive back. Or deligate a minion to the task. That's what I'd do. If you are pressed for time take a bus/airplane out, rent a vehicle, and drive back. Or ride back for that matter.

And next time figure out shipping before you buy. You can call shippers (yellow, et al... even UPS will ship heavy items if you crate them first) with an approximate weight and two addresses, and they'll give you a yes/no and $$$ quote.

And unless you are sending it to Europe *don't* use air freight.
Ride it like you think owning it matters.