looking for my first bike....

misfits9095
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

looking for my first bike....

#1 Unread post by misfits9095 »

im looking to buy my first bike and i happed to spot some of these bikes in a local cycle mag so i checked them out at a huge cycle dealership near chicago. the dealer seemed to know very little about each bike and pushed me towards buying the pricer bikes. i was also interested in some used ones but he made it seem that my payments would be higher on a used bike. i made a list of the bikes i was looking at however i wouldnt mind getting some honest suggestions on other bikes.

all these bikes have a payment of 79-99 dollars per month for 24 months with zero down. it seems rather affordable but im not sure about bike prices.

cbr 600 f41- i was told it was really slow and not a good value.
ninja zx-14- hahah i totally saw this bike and knew it was too much
ninja zx-363- i really liked this bike he kept pushing me towards this
gsx r600- he kept pushing me towards this one too.
finally the one i really wanted to see was the
650r- i was told it was too small for me im like 6 feet 230 lb's.
-i was told the used bikes were around 5 grand so i might be better off buying a new one because the payments would be similiar? no clue if thats true

i'm looking for a low payment around 79-99 dollars per month and these bikes are in that range.

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '06 Suzuki GSX-R 750

#2 Unread post by VermilionX »

after the low monthly payments they will jack up your monthly rates. like it says... it's only cheap for the 1st year.

also before you buy... you should look for insurance quotes too since you'll need a comprehensive insurance when you finance a bike. it would suck if you found out later that you can't afford insurance.
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

NJ-Pinay
Veteran
Veteran

#3 Unread post by NJ-Pinay »

of course they wld push you to the more expensive bikes. Bigger the price, bigger commission. I was lucky and dealt with someone that my husband already knew. I wanted him to have his commission but he really cared about my needs and was very considerate.
Blue 05 GS500F - no mods yet!

jmillheiser
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#4 Unread post by jmillheiser »

The F4i is most definately NOT slow, though it is a little pricey for what you get.

of the choices on your list I would recommend the ninja 650 for a first bike. Geoff650R rides a ninja 650 and hes bigger than you, it will still power wheelie with all 250lbs of him on it.

misfits9095
Rookie
Rookie

eyho

#5 Unread post by misfits9095 »

"poo poo" i didnt know i had to have insurance year round. i figured only while i was riding the bike, but it makes sense its just like a car loan. i never thought htey would jack up the price after a year that seems obsurd! i might just check out a used bike or something. it sucks not knowning much about bikes i have no clue where to start with things argg.

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Re: eyho

#6 Unread post by jonnythan »

misfits9095 wrote:"poo poo" i didnt know i had to have insurance year round. i figured only while i was riding the bike, but it makes sense its just like a car loan. i never thought htey would jack up the price after a year that seems obsurd! i might just check out a used bike or something. it sucks not knowning much about bikes i have no clue where to start with things argg.
You can often get a cheap used bike as a first bike. Insurance will be cheaper, you won't cry when you drop it and scratch it up, and you can usually sell it for exactly what you paid for it.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '06 Suzuki GSX-R 750

Re: eyho

#7 Unread post by VermilionX »

misfits9095 wrote:"poo poo" i didnt know i had to have insurance year round. i figured only while i was riding the bike, but it makes sense its just like a car loan. i never thought htey would jack up the price after a year that seems obsurd! i might just check out a used bike or something. it sucks not knowning much about bikes i have no clue where to start with things argg.
read the sticky post above.

the bikes you listed aren't really beginner friendly but whatever.
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

xjustice9x
Regular
Regular

#8 Unread post by xjustice9x »

Your payments definately won't stay at 79-99 forever. At $100 a month with zero down you would only have paid $2400 in 2 years. Those bikes are all much more than that so they will raise your payments after the first 2 years.

I would look at cheaper bikes. And try to save up some money to put down on it. That will make your payments lower. A used bike should be cheaper to purchase and insure.

The 650R would have more than enough power for you. You would probably be fine on a 500. I would sit on a bunch of bikes and see what will be comfortable to ride on.

Maybe you should try and find a different dealer who will help you find the best bike for you, and is not as focused on getting the biggest comission possible.

IcyHound
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#9 Unread post by IcyHound »

If you are going to a dealer please read some autobuying guides.

Even thou you are buying a bike, you need to understanding financing and how it works. You need to not buy anything until you understand that you don't buy from monthly payments you buy from the complete price of the bike.

I could sell you a bike at 70 dollars a month over 5 years. Sounds good buy the bike was only 3000 dollars and the rest is interst I am sucking from your soul.

Read http://www.carbuyingtips.com You are not buying a car but you are going through the same basics. Everything will still be relivent. You need to be prepared and not screwed.

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#10 Unread post by flynrider »

IcyHound wrote: You need to not buy anything until you understand that you don't buy from monthly payments you buy from the complete price of the bike.
That's one of the best pieces of advice I've seen on here in a long time. I see people buying stuff all the time and concentrating only on the monthly payments. If you asked them what the actual cost of the item was, they wouldn't have a clue.

I have a friend who is the finance guy at a stealership. He makes his living fleecing people who don't do their homework, and he's not apologetic about it.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk