New riders, do you still have car habits?

jct
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

New riders, do you still have car habits?

#1 Unread post by jct »

I was wondering if I was the only one...

I've completed my MSF and have been practicing on my husband's old Virago 250. He always watches me like a hawk as I get ready to ride and yesterday burst out laughing -- he's kind of a serious guy so I was taken aback (and OK, a little tweaked -- I *know* I look like a power ranger). He pointed out that he couldn't figure out why I always reached across my chest after I mounted the bike --- finally realized I was reaching for the non-existent seat belt! So we shared a good pre-ride chuckle.

Anyone else find themselves doing odd things like this?

On a more serious note, since I can't ride the bike to work yet and thus can only ride on weekends, I have taken to "pretending" I'm driving the Virago when I am in my cage. Very eye-opening -- while I have always been annoyed by some of the stupid manuevers pulled by other drivers (I'm sort of a naturally paranoid driver at baseline and never use my cell phone while driving)-- the stupidity and aggressiveness I witness on my short NYC commute every morning and afternoon is mind-boggling.

At least this nonsense is giving me some early real-world experiences even given my nascent riding status. Case in point, there are several drawbridges nearby that are quite active. Yesterday while riding I saw the red light and slowly dropping gate up ahead and immediately expected someone in a cage to try avoid the wait--- sure enough the guy in front of my husband braked and pulled into an immediate U-turn (that he couldn't complete before I got there and he backed up across and into my lane)--- I had already stopped, LOL --- knew that was coming! As we say around here, what a schmuck!

JT

sharpmagna
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by sharpmagna »

When I first started riding, it was a bit unnerving not having a seatbelt. 25 years of riding in a car and always having a seatbelt, then I hop on a motorcycle. :laughing:

I've got over it now, but it was a little wierd at first.
1987 Honda <B>SUPER</B> Magna
[i]Bikesexual - I like to ride it long and hard...[/i]

icariz83
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by icariz83 »

I've found that I started singing to myself since I'm without a radio now. It isn't the same feeling though. :frusty:

Also when I go dirt bike/atv riding I find myself trying to signal at turns and obeying speed limits (when there are none).
Current Toys:06 Daytona 675, 06 Sportsman 800
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/Icariz83/misc%20pics/bronco1.gif[/img]

BAJACRUISER
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#4 Unread post by BAJACRUISER »

The first time I rode, I was looking for the ashtray..... :laughing:
Road Star Silverado 1700 2005
Suzuki Boulevard M50 2007 (sold)

www.californiosmotoclub.com.mx

[img]http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii252/bajacruiser/DSC04339-1.jpg[/img]

luvmybuell2000
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by luvmybuell2000 »

I am a beginner. I am constantly looking for the signal stick on the side and looking for the gear shift to pull on. I am getting better. I am still freaking out into sharp corners though.
My ride: 2000 Buell Blast

My dream ride: 2007 Ducati Monster SR4
Testastretta

Social Distortion
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 2004 triumph thruxton

#6 Unread post by Social Distortion »

for some reason, i kept trying to run my fingers through my hair as i sat in traffic-
kinda hard to do w/ a full face helmet on!
"Born to Lose and Destined to Fail"

TR7
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: 79 xs600

#7 Unread post by TR7 »

Those habits arent to bad. I had the habit of grabbing the brakes around turns to shed some speed. Learned not to do that again. :roll:

Candy750
Legendary
Legendary

#8 Unread post by Candy750 »

Riding on bike not in car: My nose will run a bit when it's cold, and I tap my shield and realize I can't wipe it. Also do not really have to cover mouth when I cough, but I find I do...

Driving in car not on bike: I drive for miles and miles and not turn on the radio... beginning to love the peace and quiet!
Candy 750

Cappytan
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by Cappytan »

not any really bad habits, but I do find myself looking to see to make sure the turn signal works every time I stop and then making sure I cancel when I turn. I'm a bit wierd about it.

Flipper
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2010 Ninja 250

#10 Unread post by Flipper »

The day I drove my car home from passing my MSF , I found myself afraid to brake and turn at the same time. :?
My MSF coaches sure were good.