SV650S Prices

Jthmeffy
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male

SV650S Prices

#1 Unread post by Jthmeffy »

How do these prices sound? And which would be a better deal? I would like silver over teal (hell, i want a yellow bike the most but i cant find anything in my area), but the color isn't very important to me. Also, i need to get a helmet/gloves, and i could get them for free at the dealer.

Let me know which direction you think I should go.

This would be my first bike.

-=Used=-

2003 Suzuki SV650S - $3949 asking price - Private party that lives about 5-6 hours away from me - 1657 Miles - Silver - Supposidly never crashed but has a dent on tank - Seller claims that she never rides it (and i can see that with less than 2000 miles in 3+ years) and needs the money somewhere else - Bluebook for this bike/year is $4295 (not that it means anything, just putting it out)

-=New=-

2006 Suzuki SV650S - $5600 out.the.door - Dealership where my father is friends with the manager which will get me free delivery/gear - 2 miles - Teal - Perfect condition

Here are some pics of the '03 -
ImageImageImageImage

Nalian
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#2 Unread post by Nalian »

How did it get a dent like that if it was never dropped?

If it's your first bike it's probably better to get something a little older/already dinged up, but if you want the 'new' bike than I say go for it.

KarateChick
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#3 Unread post by KarateChick »

Wearing my number-crunching hat: Do you plan to fix the dent and replace the pipes? How much would that cost you? Add to that your gear cost. Is the insurance much different?

I know you are in the States but just fyi, the 06 sells in Canada for $8800 + 6% tax and dealers here have knocked the price back by $500 because it's end of season.
Ya right, :wink: there are only 2 kinds of bikes: It's a Ninja... look that one's a Harley... oh there's a Ninja... Harley...Ninja...

[img]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j135/KarateChick_2006/IMG_1245_1.jpg[/img]

Jthmeffy
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#4 Unread post by Jthmeffy »

Im not planning on fixing the dent if i go with the '03; What's wrong with the pipes?

Brand new here is $6500 and the '07 models aren't in yet.. not that i want to buy an '07.
The new bikes seems like the best deal overall, but the fact that it's cheaper is a nicety. I know i'm gonna get flac for this, but i plan to take a loan out right now and pay it off next summer - i am aware i have no patience.

I can get a loan with 5.45%-5.99% APR for 60 months. With the '03, im looking at somewhere in the area of $80 a month where the '06 is around $120 a month.. Im just trying to find justification for getting the more expensive bike that is basically the same thing as the older bike. If i leave the dent and pipes alone and talk the seller down to $3500, i could have it taken care of (with gear) for around $4000-$4100.

Im just not sure which direction i should go, or if i should just wait to see if i have a better selection by March or so.. I would expect prices to go up as well as demand, which could kill my possibility of getting a decent deal.. Hell, do either of these bikes seem like a somewhat good of a deal?

KarateChick
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#5 Unread post by KarateChick »

Pipes - is it your picture or is that rust on the exhaust (not the oxidized or rusty looking pipes underneath).

I assume the bike was dropped cause that's a pretty big tank dent. You should ask. Is the rest of any damage (if any) just cosmetic?

+1 to what Nalian said about a used bike. For first time riders if anything happens, it's easier to swallow than on a new bike but the ultimate choice is yours.

Financing - not gonna touch that one. There's enough responses around this forum on that.
Ya right, :wink: there are only 2 kinds of bikes: It's a Ninja... look that one's a Harley... oh there's a Ninja... Harley...Ninja...

[img]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j135/KarateChick_2006/IMG_1245_1.jpg[/img]

ninja79
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#6 Unread post by ninja79 »

where the hell can you get a brand new SV650S for $5600??? That just doesn't sound true.

The used bike is way overpriced. Look at nadaguides.com for a more reasonable estimate.

Jthmeffy
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#7 Unread post by Jthmeffy »

From a dealership where my dad's best friend is the manager. Also, they dont sell bikes for "poo poo" during the winter (WI = SNOW), so they make most of their money off of ATVs and snowmobiles. That bike is an '06 so it also means its really late in the model year. And also, that's $5600 after tax and other charges. Its good to know people. They had an '05 (bright yellow) that i could have gotten for hella cheap.. but they sold it about 1 1/2 months ago to one of their sales ppl. He (the manager) is going to keep his eyes open for a used SV if anyone tries to trade in, but as of right now, these are the options I see.. I plan on going dealer-hopping soon tho.

Nalian
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#8 Unread post by Nalian »

From what you've said only I would get the newer bike as it's a better deal. Thats as long as everything is on the up-and-up.

Jthmeffy
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#9 Unread post by Jthmeffy »

Yah, that is the direction i'm leaning towards. I'm gonna call all of the local Suzuki dealers (within a couple hours driving distance) and see what they have to offer. Maybe i'll get lucky. I'm hoping for a used '04 for around $4k.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#10 Unread post by Wrider »

Hey, I'm actually looking for a SV1000S right now. They're hard to find! (Except for new) But yeah, if you can get that bike for that price, legally, do it! Brand new for the price of a 2 year old one... Amazing
Wrider