How to wheelie (and other squidly activities)

CTLawyer
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

To parking lot or not to parking lot

#21 Unread post by CTLawyer »

In most states the legal issue is "operation", i.e. what constitutes operation of a motorvehicle on a public road. In CT it is considered operation on a public road if the parking lot holds 10 or more cars. This is mostly as applies to DUI, but reckles driving, which is really what we're talking about here, would also fall under this operation rule. Now trespassing is a whole other matter. Regardless of the size of the lot, you are trespassing if sign are posted telling you to stay out. Most are not posted, so it is just reckless driving and or speeding. You really need to just try and stay away from public view and hearing, and watch out for secuiryt cameras. They're everywhere, expecially behind commercial building with nice lots to practice in. Find a rich uncle with nice long paved lot who will give you permission and go there, otherwise I would say don't risk it unless you are way out of town and away from any people.
2005 Suzuki M50 Addict

intotherain
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
My Motorcycle: FZ6

#22 Unread post by intotherain »

do you have to dump the clutch? I learned wheeling on accident and Im pretty good at it now, can hold it for 3-4 seconds before im scared shitless.

I learned on accident when I was trying to race my friend in his 1987 honda civic and I just reved it all the way down until the throttle couldnt go down anymore... (I can do it now, all you do is lean forward a "poo poo" load, and it wouldnt get too light)

All I do is just kill it in first gear and the front end will feel a little light( gets maybe 1/2 foot off ground) and then I just let go of the throttle about 1 -5 mm, then it just stays there, and lightly comes to the ground...

I dont think this is that bad for the engine/fork seals or anything.. It doesnt rev to the red zone, maybe 14/16(redline) will do it.

my question is, how the hell are you supposeed to keep going? shift? Unless i just kick it into 2nd gear without clutch because the clutch makes it just go right back down to the ground really rough, I dont think its possible

intotherain
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#23 Unread post by intotherain »

MrGompers wrote:Finally a real answer thanks.
also, if I feel like I am too unbalanced, lightly tap the rear brake to bring it down,( this is hard, in my case, it just slams to the ground or doesnt move)

Koss
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#24 Unread post by Koss »

Not my fault you refuse to use the search feature. And i find it tiresome and counterproductive to repost readily avaliable information that can be found all over the internet or this very forum to go against everything this thread was started for in the first place.
Dohun wrote:do you have to dump the clutch? I learned wheeling on accident and Im pretty good at it now, can hold it for 3-4 seconds before im scared shitless.
That isn't the safest way to do it if you are still learning how to wheelie, alot of things can go wrong, and go wrong MUCH faster doing it with the clutch and "dumping" it.

Dohun wrote:I learned on accident when I was trying to race my friend in his 1987 honda civic and I just reved it all the way down until the throttle couldnt go down anymore... (I can do it now, all you do is lean forward a "poo poo" load, and it wouldnt get too light)

:roll: :? :shock: :frusty: :loosingit: :doh1: :flame: :boxed: :crazy: :wallbash: :disgust: :pinch:

Dohun wrote:All I do is just kill it in first gear and the front end will feel a little light( gets maybe 1/2 foot off ground) and then I just let go of the throttle about 1 -5 mm, then it just stays there, and lightly comes to the ground...
Kill it? That sounds more like having it stall than what I guess you ment by saying that. Backing off the throttle is only one part of what you should do when you want to softly return the bike to riding back on two wheels... for yourself and the bikes saftey and not messing up your suspension.
Dohun wrote:I dont think this is that bad for the engine/fork seals or anything.. It doesnt rev to the red zone, maybe 14/16(redline) will do it.

... wrong. There is more to not damaging a bike than "rev to the red zone".
Dohun wrote:my question is, how the hell are you supposeed to keep going? shift? Unless i just kick it into 2nd gear without clutch because the clutch makes it just go right back down to the ground really rough, I dont think its possible
:lousyputer:
http://www.livevideo.com/Koss

intotherain
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#25 Unread post by intotherain »

Koss wrote:
Not my fault you refuse to use the search feature. And i find it tiresome and counterproductive to repost readily avaliable information that can be found all over the internet or this very forum to go against everything this thread was started for in the first place.
Dohun wrote:do you have to dump the clutch? I learned wheeling on accident and Im pretty good at it now, can hold it for 3-4 seconds before im scared shitless.
That isn't the safest way to do it if you are still learning how to wheelie, alot of things can go wrong, and go wrong MUCH faster doing it with the clutch and "dumping" it.

i Dont dump the clutch. Ive never done it and i wont, all i do is just rev it semi hard

Dohun wrote:I learned on accident when I was trying to race my friend in his 1987 honda civic and I just reved it all the way down until the throttle couldnt go down anymore... (I can do it now, all you do is lean forward a "poo poo" load, and it wouldnt get too light)

:roll: :? :shock: :frusty: :loosingit: :doh1: :flame: :boxed: :crazy: :wallbash: :disgust: :pinch:

whats so funny about this? I am exagerating this by the way... I more like get it going slowly then at a moderate speed apply the whole throtle

Dohun wrote:All I do is just kill it in first gear and the front end will feel a little light( gets maybe 1/2 foot off ground) and then I just let go of the throttle about 1 -5 mm, then it just stays there, and lightly comes to the ground...
Kill it? That sounds more like having it stall than what I guess you ment by saying that. Backing off the throttle is only one part of what you should do when you want to softly return the bike to riding back on two wheels... for yourself and the bikes saftey and not messing up your suspension.

God, i dont know the friggen bike terminology and I dont kill it( in my terms which is just rev it all the way)

When I wheelie, I just slowly apply the throttle until the front end gets light, then I back off the throttle...
Dohun wrote:I dont think this is that bad for the engine/fork seals or anything.. It doesnt rev to the red zone, maybe 14/16(redline) will do it.

... wrong. There is more to not damaging a bike than "rev to the red zone".

I know, I guess I should really watch what kind of hyperboles I use... I don't just put the throttle all the way down, its too loud and bumpy. Ill say this for the last time. I slowly apply the throttle, because its really nothing different that applying it quickly, until the front end gets light
Dohun wrote:my question is, how the hell are you supposeed to keep going? shift? Unless i just kick it into 2nd gear without clutch because the clutch makes it just go right back down to the ground really rough, I dont think its possible

Why the ...??
:lousyputer:

Koss
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#26 Unread post by Koss »

Actually Dohun, you misunderstood what I was saying.

First off, you asked if they had to dump the clutch. I wanted to say that riders shouldn't when learning how to wheelie because its more dangerous and takes more experience with wheelies and riding to control it. I never said that you dumped the clutch and you are a bad person for doing it.

I put in all those faces in the next part because not only do I not agree with people racing on public roads, but also the whole old honda civic street racing thing... I think racing is great, but take it to the drag strip or race track. Do I think you are a bad person for doing it? No, I just don't want to see you injured, or blamed for injuring others... damaging property... breaking the law... etc.

Next, I wanted you to know that you need to do more than just backing off the throttle to return the front wheel to the ground. You need to back it off, have the balance point change into a forward bias and while the front is falling, give more throttle so you slow down your rate of decent... eliminating landing the front to quickly and damaging bike components.

My whole post never had anything to do with how you apply the throttle. Having the engine working at the redline can indeed pose problems... depending on how the engine is built, how long its there, if it has sufficient fluid levels(oil, coolant if the bike is liquid cooled), condition of the engine before hand. But I wanted to hint at other components that can be damaged from wheelies. steering and suspension components, more wear on your chain... lack of oil lubrication due to the angle the engine is at when in a wheelie.

The next question was about holding the position when in a wheelie.

Its because it dosn't have anything to do with what gear you are in, you dont keep accelerating... its about balance... there is a balance point... try balancing something in your hand like a long tube or stick. You can hold it up longer if you dont make sudden movements, compared with moving your hand quickly around with fast motions trying to counteract the movement before.

And as I said before... the point of this post was to keep questions like these out, because activities are risky to beginning riders.

Edited for typos
http://www.livevideo.com/Koss

intotherain
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#27 Unread post by intotherain »

Koss wrote:Actually Dohun, you misunderstood what I was saying.

First off, you asked if they had to dump the clutch. I wanted to say that riders shouldn't when learning how to wheelie because its more dangerous and takes more experience with wheelies and riding to control it. I never said that you dumped the clutch and you are a bad person for doing it.

I put in all those faces in the next part because not only do I not agree with people racing on public roads, but also the whole old honda civic street racing thing... I think racing is great, but take it to the drag strip or race track. Do I think you are a bad person for doing it? No, I just don't want to see you injured, or blamed for injuring others... damaging property... breaking the law... etc.

Next, I wanted you to know that you need to do more than just backing off the throttle to return the front wheel to the ground. You need to back it off, have the balance point change into a forward bias and while the front is falling, give more throttle so you slow down your rate of decent... eliminating landing the front to quickly and damaging bike components.

My whole post never had anything to do with how you apply the throttle. Having the engine working at the redline can indeed pose problems... depending on how the engine is built, how long its there, if it has sufficient fluid levels(oil, coolant if the bike is liquid cooled), condition of the engine before hand. But I wanted to hint at other components that can be damaged from wheelies. steering and suspension components, more wear on your chain... lack of oil lubrication due to the angle the engine is at when in a wheelie.

The next question was about holding the position when in a wheelie.

Its because it dosn't have anything to do with what gear you are in, you dont keep accelerating... its about balance... there is a balance point... try balancing something in your hand like a long tube or stick. You can hold it up longer if you dont make sudden movements, compared with moving your hand quickly around with fast motions trying to counteract the movement before.

And as I said before... the point of this post was to keep questions like these out, because activities are risky to beginning riders.

Edited for typos

Actually, I dont really care about breaking the law of any of that, theres no drag strips or racing areas anywhere around me

And I know about that whole balancing issue. Im not a damn newb at life. Ive mountain biked for ages, I know all about balancing. You think Im some dumb piece of "poo poo" 16 year old.
I can wheelie/manual on a bike for blocks and blocks, and surprisingly, its not much different on a motorcycle except that you cant mess up on a motorcycle or else your dead. I dont know why you keep expanding on everything Im saying on like every post, most of it is useless information that I already know. For future reference, dont quote what I say and say something unless you think its something I really WOULD NOT KNOW, and it might add to y knowledge on motorcycles.

Kal
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 1998 Kawasaki GPZ500S

#28 Unread post by Kal »

You might want to reconsider the tone of your previous post Dohun. It comes off as being damn rude to someone who is actually trying to help you.

For what it is worth he is being damn gentle with you. If you did that to me I would flame you four ways from Sunday.
Kal...
Relationship Squid...

GPZ500S, CB250N, GB250Clubman

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#29 Unread post by BuzZz »

Koss wrote:
Exactly.

And as for the snippin' and yippin'.... keep it up and I'll lock the topic down. I'm not talking to Koss here....

You want to learn to wheelie? Suck it up and get your azz out there and DO it. If you want to break the law while doing so, that's your decision, do what you like, but don't complain if you get a mittfull of tickets and have to watch your bike be carted off to impound. There is no reason to be surprised if the result of such actions are you sitting in the back of a cop car and then walking home.

Wheelies and other stunts can be fun, no doubt. But expect to eat some pavement and spend some dough on bike repairs. There is no way to get proficient at it without some sacrifice. If you are not prepared to fall over, don't try this. Simple....
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

intotherain
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#30 Unread post by intotherain »

I actually would prefer if the whole internet not read my life story.
Last edited by intotherain on Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.