headsets and cellphones

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#11 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Since I've got a husband and two teenage kids, and regularly go far afield alone, I really CAN'T just shut off the cell phone while riding.

Everyone keeps it to telegram like messages if needed. Text messaging lets me check in without having to take the helmet off. If the text message requires it, I could then call back instead of texting. But I'd be stopped anyhow.

I understand that riding is a ZEN LIKE experience for many of us. It is for me, but as a parent, in order to MAKE it that, I need to have the peace of mind that my kids can get in touch with me if they need to.

I have been known to head off 'for a couple hours' (leaving in the morning) and not return until after dinner time. If I left my phone off while riding, hubby would tear his hair out.

I repeat, I do not idly chat while riding. I use my cell phone for short 'checking in' messages to and from family. Nearly ALL via text messaging. NOTE: Text will usually go thru if you've got poor signal strength, where voice messages can only go thru if there is a very good signal.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#12 Unread post by Shorts »

I take my cell for the having-the-extra-cell-in-an-emergency. DH has his on vibrate in his jacket or jeans pocket. He must be reachable at all times for work. So, he too checks messages when we stop. Or, if he feels the phone ring from a somewhat expected call, he'll pullover.

When we go out for a ride its to get away from work and everyone for a bit and just relax. Cells get happily tucked away.

wickedrider
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

#13 Unread post by wickedrider »

Kal
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 1998 Kawasaki GPZ500S

#14 Unread post by Kal »

My phone will be on all the time, especially when I am on my bike.

In my address book I have our home phone number, because I put a space before the word home it always appears at the top of my addressbook.

Should the worst happen paramedics will be able to contact Jules.

The alternative being pushed now by the emergency services here is to include an enter called ICE on your phone as authorities can just inputn it into your phonebook in emergencies.

That all said. My phone sits in a pocket while I am riding and only gets checked during breaks.
Kal...
Relationship Squid...

GPZ500S, CB250N, GB250Clubman

logitech104
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#15 Unread post by logitech104 »

Kal wrote:That all said. My phone sits in a pocket while I am riding and only gets checked during breaks.
Thats what i also do, but only on long rides. I would only use it in an emergency. I don't like talking on phones in general, and would never use it while riding, so in the pocket it goes.
[img]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l240/logitech104/fairyhugsig.jpg[/img]
[1981 honda cb400t hawk][2004 honda crf150f]

FlyinRegie
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2000/Suzuki/SV650s

#16 Unread post by FlyinRegie »

Cell phones are EVIL :twisted:
I enjoy listening to a sound of my SV's engine. And keeping my cell phone in a pocket where I would feel the call vibration :roll:. Sometimes I just keep it turned off...
Carburetted :)
'00 Suzuki SV650s

Andrew
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#17 Unread post by Andrew »

My phone goes in the side cases so checking it is not even an option until I get off the bike. I have to be able to be reached at all times for work, but very rarely am I riding for more than an hour and I just tell myself that any message can wait the few minutes until the next stop.

Anyway, it seems like all of the earpieces I have seen would be difficult to fit a helmet over. Even the small headphones I try to use make it painful to slip a helmet on.
2004 BMW K1200RS
[img]http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/images/smilies/BMWsmile.gif[/img]

Media Weasel
Veteran
Veteran

Re: headsets and cellphones

#18 Unread post by Media Weasel »

apollofrost wrote: Just to be clear, I didn't mean for use while actually riding.
Problem solved, then, what? You don't need the headset at all. Period. Just pull over when you wannna, and check messages.

roscowgo
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#19 Unread post by roscowgo »

blues2cruise wrote:sigh.....can't anybody enjoy anything anymore without the need to be connected all the time?
Can't someone just leave you a message that you can check later?

Just go out and enjoy the ride. Turn off the cell phone.

I don't think i've even Seen my little tracphone in the past 5 months. :D Life is good.

ravnhaus
Rookie
Rookie

#20 Unread post by ravnhaus »

Kal wrote:
The alternative being pushed now by the emergency services here is to include an enter called ICE on your phone as authorities can just inputn it into your phonebook in emergencies.
I use the ICE code.
I have an ICE WIFE and an ICE HOME entry on my phone, although the first time the wife saw it she gave me a "look", grabbed me, and replied "We'll just see about that!" :mrgreen:
'06 Bonneville T-100