Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: '06 Yamaha Fz6

too many bikes - what to look for

#1 Unread post by dean owens »

hello all,

it'll probably be a while before i can get my first bike (about a year or so), but i'm starting to look now - because i've gotten the go-ahead from the wife that if i found a great deal i could get it now.

here's the deal. i like the "harley" type of bike. i don't have the money for a harley so i'm looking at other bikes. i've been reading about cc for beginners but that all seemed to relate to sport bikes. what sort of size should i look for (and horse power) for the type of bike i want?

and i know this is a tight budget, but what sort of bikes could i find for $1500ish?

thanks for your help

Dichotomous
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#2 Unread post by Dichotomous »

I bet for that cash you could find a kawasaki vulcan 750 or something along those lines. get used
[img]http://forum.svrider.com/photoalbum/albums/userpics/19909/bike%20girl%20bannar.JPG[/img]
Theres just something about a blue bike....
Throttle on man, Throttle on....

sharpmagna
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#3 Unread post by sharpmagna »

For cruiser type bikes, a bike in the 650-800cc range would be a good starter. What you really want to look for is the Hp rating on a bike, Most 800cc bike have around 50hp and that is a good number to start at. It's not too powerful to get you in trouble fast, but it is enough to keep you interested.

Think Honda Shadows, suzuki c50/m50/s50 bikes, yamaha vstar, kawasaki vulcans.
1987 Honda <B>SUPER</B> Magna
[i]Bikesexual - I like to ride it long and hard...[/i]

Ian522
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#4 Unread post by Ian522 »

$1500 could get you a pretty nice 80's or 90's japanese cruiser (kawasaki vulcan, honda shadow, yamaha virago, suzuki intruder/marauder/savage etc.) or a standard bike (honda nighthawk, suzuki GS, etc.). I like the old standards because they have cruiser looks and style which I dig but I prefer the standard riding position for comfort reasons.

Shop around and wait to find the right bike. Dont jump on the first deal you see.

Dragonhawk
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

Re: too many bikes - what to look for

#5 Unread post by Dragonhawk »

dean owens wrote:and i know this is a tight budget, but what sort of bikes could i find for $1500ish?
Well, you won't find anything new. One of the least expensive new bikes is $3000 for a Ninja 250.

So, at $1500, you are definitely looking at used. And, obviously, what you can get for that money will vary a lot, just like getting a used car. You could get a great deal on a car for $1500, or a hunk of junk. Same with bikes.
[b]Are you a beginner rider?
Have a lot of questions about motorcycling?
Not sure what bike to start with?
[url=http://www.wyndfeather.com/learn/motorcycle.htm]Learn To Ride A Motorcycle - A Step-By-Step Guide[/url][/b]

MotoF150
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#6 Unread post by MotoF150 »

are you planning on riding alone or riding the wife on the back? figure that out before you buy any bike, and before you buy any bike get an insurance quote, on some bikes you may find the insurance costs more than what you paid for the bike. I have a 2005 Suzuki M50 for sale for $2500, insurance is only $105 a year.
2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 09 Yamaha Tmax, 08 Suzuki King Quad 750

CycleNewb
Elite
Elite

#7 Unread post by CycleNewb »

If you're new to riding or haven't ridden in many years, then first take the MSF class.

Many good metric cruisers can be had in that price point with a little searching. If you don't know alot about bikes in general, then bing a friend who does to prevent you from buying a lemon.

qwerty
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#8 Unread post by qwerty »

$1500 might get you a nice bike if you start shopping now and are very patient. I didn't really want a cruiser, but one day I walked onto a dealer's porch, and there was a Suzuki Intruder, clean, all receipts, 12,500 miles. I went in and asked a salesman about it, and he said "$1,600. I just rode it around from the back about 15 minutes ago. That guy over there just traded it in, and it needs nothing."

I handed him my credit card, he went off to get the paperwork, came back and said, "Sorry, it's already sold to that guy who came in just before you did."

Moral of the story: Visit many dealers. Tell the sales managers what you want (be specific) and how much money you have on hand. Leave your number. It helps to pass out business cards with this information. Continue saving. Update the spending level with return trips to the dealer, as necessary. Often, a dealer can allow more trade-in to make a sale knowing he has a likely to have a ready buyer. The dealer may also lower his price knowing he will turn the bike over quickly. When a dealer calls, get there ASAP. The best deals don't last long.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

MotoF150
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#9 Unread post by MotoF150 »

When shopping for any bike keep this in mind, the best brand of bike is a Honda, next a close 2nd is the Yamaha, then last is the cheap made generic bikes the Suzuki and the Kawasaki.
2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 09 Yamaha Tmax, 08 Suzuki King Quad 750

gitarjunky
Elite
Elite

#10 Unread post by gitarjunky »

MotoF150 wrote:When shopping for any bike keep this in mind, the best brand of bike is a Honda, next a close 2nd is the Yamaha, then last is the cheap made generic bikes the Suzuki and the Kawasaki.
When shopping for a bike, keep this in mind....MotoF150 has no idea what the hell he's talking about!

You should be able to get something decent for 1500, esepcially in the off season when someone wants to sell for some quick cash. Any brand you've heard of has reliable bikes and not so reliable bikes. When you find one you like, do some research on that model year, common problems, how much it might cost to fix up, etc (half the fun of motorcycles is wrenching anyway!) There is not one brand that is really that much 'better' than another.....Don't forget to dedicate another 500-1000 dollars for all the proper gear too! Have fun shopping!
2005 Suzuki SV650
Get a yellow one....they're faster