NEw rider, "procreating" up on the MSF

safety-boy
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male

Re: NEw rider,

#21 Unread post by safety-boy »

lunchmeat wrote:[...] I can't ever find neutral[...]
It might be the bike. The dodo-bucket Nightwing I was on would never hit neutral - now that I have some more experience, I think it is because it idled too high and the tranny was grabbing second to avoid a false-neutral (BTW, not bagging on the Nightwing, this particular one was a dodo-bucket :-)).

Now that you passed the class, you should have better luck on your own bike, which is likely in better shape, or at least you will learn the idiosyncrasies (spelling???).

If you like riding enough that you passed and continue to learn, you'll be doing fine in no time!

--Dave
Don't think of it as a stop light. Think of it as a chance-to-show-off light.

Vulcan 900 Classic LT (2007)
Ninja ZX-6R (2006)
Ninja 500-R (2004)
454 Ltd. (1986)
Boulevard S-40 (2005)

Kal
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 1998 Kawasaki GPZ500S

#22 Unread post by Kal »

lunchmeat wrote:I could also start the bike in first gear with the clutch in - something i could not do on the CB125. I don't know why I couldn't do so on that bike. But being able to start in first gear made things much much easier.
Sounds like the clutch wasn't adjusted properly, so even when it as fully pulled in the clutch was still slighty engaged. Something that the MSF people should have been aware of and dealt with.

I'm glad you passed, and I'm also glad you're going to keep practising the skills.

Riding a motorbike is a skill. Some people get it right away, some people don't - no shame in that.

Perserving with it builds character or some such gumpf.

My first CBT (kind of the UK equivilant of the MSF) was awful. I kept stalling out the bike, kangroo'd it during the emergency stop and repeatedly changed gear without using the clutch. We thought my instructor was going to bust a blood vessel or something.

There were several times on the road section that I almost parked up the bike and said thats me done get someone else to collect the bike. Two things stopped me. The first was a close friend Keyoke was on the CBT with me and I'd never hear the end of it if I bailed. The second was when I had the bike running right and I was in control zipping along country lanes it was the best feeling ever.

There isnt a day now that I am not glad that I persevered.
Kal...
Relationship Squid...

GPZ500S, CB250N, GB250Clubman

teabgs
Regular
Regular

#23 Unread post by teabgs »

Hey man, glad you passed the course! Just keep at it, you'll get it. It's been almost two weeks since I took the MSF course. I had no experience before the class. I had read the complete idiot's guide to motorcycles before hand at the advice of a fellow member here, and it was a GREAT help. I thought it was going to be harder than it was but found that it was very easy at first. Then on day two I was doing REALLY well, to the point where an instructor told me to mess up so they could coach me. Then I got a little cocky and during the quick stops I too locked up the front wheel. The bike was perfecty fine though, and so was I except my ego got put back in place, which was good.

I think it's probably good to be a little scared, it keeps you from doing anything stupid. I got my license the other day and I have my bike and my gear, but I haven't riden it very much yet. Just because I got the license from the class, doesn't mean I'm ready. I've put 11 miles on the bike but have yet to go on a two lane road with traffic. I'm really busy working, so I dont have as much time as I'd want to ride right now, but I think another little bit of practice and I'll be ready for traffic.

anyway, the point it, take it at your own speed. The hardest part is over. You 'know' how to ride, now you just need to practice and just do it, then one day you will b e the rider that you want to be. So far it's been lots of fun! 35 mph is my top speed at this point but it feels SO MUCH FASTER on a bike than in a car!! riding in the street is also easier than the drills they do in the class, except for having to SEE everything on the road.

qwerty
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#24 Unread post by qwerty »

First, congratulations on passing the BRC! You'll not regret it.

Second, Koss is absolutely right, The Idiot's Guide is great for newbies.

Third, you are wise to keep your confidence in check and plan a lot of practice before venturing out into the cruel world. Very wise, indeed!

Finally, I hope you can find a large enough practice area to get up into third and fourth gears, when the gyroscopic effect of the tires begins to have an effect. The BRC exercises are some of the more difficult techniques associated with motorcycles. At 60mph on the highway, the bike holds itself up and you can actually relax the deathgrip on the handgrips, slide your butt fore and aft on the seat to find the sweet spot where the wind supports your upper body, and just cruise.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

maggy
Rookie
Rookie

#25 Unread post by maggy »

I failed a few of the msf classes so don't feel bad. But I must say besides not knowing much about riding , I had some awful bikes. Clutch sucked, so tight could not hold it in. Gears, what a joke. I had to beat them up and still only once got in second and tried the rolling also.
so , you just try again. Crying, oh yea that happens
Good luck
Maggy
RIDE TO LIVE
MAGGY
[img]http://img15.imgspot.com/u/06/359/00/10100516231167109485.jpg[/img]

KarateChick
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#26 Unread post by KarateChick »

lunchmeat....belated CONGRATS!!! on passing. sounds like you got it all together in the end.
Ya right, :wink: there are only 2 kinds of bikes: It's a Ninja... look that one's a Harley... oh there's a Ninja... Harley...Ninja...

[img]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j135/KarateChick_2006/IMG_1245_1.jpg[/img]