MSF Questions

SilentComposer
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

MSF Questions

#1 Unread post by SilentComposer »

Hey everyone,

I am about to take the MSF course today and have never ridden a motorcycle before. It's just the written part today and I am a little nervous, I don't much like taking tests. Is the written stuff hard? Or do they go over it pretty well? When I took my permit test for my car the instructor was a pain. Are the MSF people actually good teachers?

Are there a lot of people that take the MSF without prior motorcycle experience?

Ok, I am very naive about all this and appreciate any help whatsoever!

Thanks-

anarchy
Elite
Elite

#2 Unread post by anarchy »

relax and you'll do fine...

the written stuff isn't hard. you'll cover all the material on the written test - there won't be any surprises. most of it's common sense stuff - if you're paying attention, you won't have any problems.

the msf site has some review questions based on the material in the book - i'd say it's a fair sampling of the questions on the test. of course you'll do much better on the review questions once you've covered the material in the book...

and yes, there are plenty of people taking the course that don't have any prior experience...

enjoy and good luck...

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Gold Wing

#3 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

:exactly:

My experience at MSF was wonderful. All of the written test information was covered.

I had very little prior motorcycle experience and there were several people in the class that had no experience. Everyone that showed up for all four days of training passed. We had two people (a husband and wife) that had to drop the last riding session due to a medical problem.

My instructors were very knowledgeable and helpful. They truly made it a fun learning experience.

Ian522
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#4 Unread post by Ian522 »

Dont sweat it about the written test. Its really easy as long as you pay attention in class.

I cant promise you that you'll do well on the riding portion of the class, but chances are you'll be fine. I had no experiance riding a bike when I first started the class, and I was fine. Just pay close attention to the instructors and follow their every direction. The bikes are small and very easy to handle and they walk you through every single step.

SilentComposer
Veteran
Veteran

#5 Unread post by SilentComposer »

Wow. I just thought I would let you all know that this is probably the best forum around.

I really appreciate the fast reply and knowledgeable answers!

I am actually not as worried about the actual riding. I ride my bike to my train station a lot(I know it has little to do with motorcycling but at least it's a form of two wheel balancing) and I have some experience with manual transmission cars.

Thanks for the course review, thats helps a lot!

Did anyone else have trouble or fail the MSF?

KarateChick
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#6 Unread post by KarateChick »

Relax and good luck with it. I was one of those who knew absolutely nothing about m-cycles....2 wheels, run on gas, period.

Where are you located? That may help others from the same area who may want to tell you their thoughts about their experiences with the course or instructors.
Ya right, :wink: there are only 2 kinds of bikes: It's a Ninja... look that one's a Harley... oh there's a Ninja... Harley...Ninja...

[img]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j135/KarateChick_2006/IMG_1245_1.jpg[/img]

SilentComposer
Veteran
Veteran

#7 Unread post by SilentComposer »

I am located in Oceanside California.

When you counter steer, instead of pointing the wheel into the turn you point it away right? As a right turn you push on the right handle bar and lean to the right? Is that correct or am I understanding it backwards.

KarateChick
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#8 Unread post by KarateChick »

:) Here's a couple of recent threads on countersteering - hope they help. Also, you can use the "search" function on the forums to find more if you like.

viewtopic.php?t=19930
and
viewtopic.php?t=17865
Ya right, :wink: there are only 2 kinds of bikes: It's a Ninja... look that one's a Harley... oh there's a Ninja... Harley...Ninja...

[img]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j135/KarateChick_2006/IMG_1245_1.jpg[/img]

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#9 Unread post by Wrider »

Can you write your name? Can you remember easy things, more like common sense things? If you answered yes to both of these questions, then congratulations, you can pass the test! :laughing: Anyway, I didn't find it hard, and neither did anyone else in the class. That includes two who ended up dropping out, one of those dropped the bike, the other just couldn't get comfortable on it. Trust me, you'll do fine!
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Philo
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: 2008 Honda Goldwing

#10 Unread post by Philo »

With countersteering, don't think about pointing the handle bars. Think about pushing on the grips. If you push on the right grip, the bike leans to the right and you turn to the right. If you think about pointing the handle bars, or the front wheel, your subconscious will want to point it in the direction of travel. Just think "push right, lean right" and "push left, lean left". I have heard of new riders who steered themselves into an accident, because when they got into a situation they tried to "steer" out of it. The more they tried to steer away from trouble, the more trouble they got in. After you get the hang of the push steering phenomenon, you can push with one hand and pull with the other for tighter turns and/or more lean. You don't have to really think about the leaning either, it happens automatically. But, hey, I'm a newbie too. So, you more eperienced riders can correct my errors.