MSF is over

allihay
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

MSF is over

#1 Unread post by allihay »

I don't see many posts here from people who didn't pass their BRC, but I didn't. javascript:emoticon(':(')
I felt like I was doing great until the evaluation.

On the second day, the first exercise at 7AM was the u-turns in the box. I did it no problem. I also did great on turns. The instructor kept telling me to do everything faster, because the eval is timed.

EVAL: Went outside the box once, and put my foot out once. How come I did it in the AM, and not for the eval????? Then, a swerve and stop. Fine. Then, the emergency stop. No problem. Last part of the eval was a turn, going 20mph into it, having to S,L,P,R. I screwed it up, didn't slow down enough, and went outside the cones, which of course made me go "SH%%", look at the instructor, and slowdown.

The person who went before me (this person popped their clutch and dropped their bike a short while earlier) didn't pass the box, or the emergency stop, then CREEPED through the turn, and left with a pass.

I understand why I didn't get a pass, I wouldn't have given one to me either. I'm just really bummed. I'm the only person who didn't pass. I am going to try again next weekend, if there is room in the class. I can do it again for free. The course itself was really good. I learned a TON.
My husband said that today when I got on my bike I looked a lot more confident than I did before.

I already have a learner's permit, all of my gear, and my bike. So, I will practice. I got on it today and went up and down my street, mostly just practicing coming to a stop, and u-turning. Also - got my new boots, and I can't feel ANYTHING - not the gearshift or the brake. I hope it won't take too long to get used to that.....

Anyway, I feel disappointed with myself. But, I will try again. Did anyone else out there not pass? Would you admit it if you didn't?

Thanks again for all the encouragement.
Allison

Apollofrost
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#2 Unread post by Apollofrost »

hey, i'm sure you'll get it and you have everyone here's support.
I'm starting a petition to cull narrowminded dull people - be afraid Peter, be very afraid....
-Anonymous

Lil John3464
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by Lil John3464 »

havent taken it yet but this kind of shakes my confidence a little bit, i am planning on doing it in March some time after i get my permit. Ha i just want to get it done and i hope i dont fail it as well. I am sure it is no biggie and if you fail the first time the second will be that much easier, heck its probably better you do it twice extra practice :wink:

BlueBomber
Elite
Elite

#4 Unread post by BlueBomber »

I will tell you the same thing my instructor told me: On the box go outside the lines, or put your foot down. DO NOT DO BOTH!

I opted for going WAY THE HELL OUTSIDE the lines. Didn't put my foot down. swerved fine.

Emergency stopped perfectly, and then was 90% good on the cornering.

Thus I got the pass.

Take it again. It's not so much about passing as it is about not failing. Trust me on that one.

\/\/
Suzuki Boulevard M50 - Bright Blue

intotherain
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
My Motorcycle: FZ6

#5 Unread post by intotherain »

dont sweat it allihay,(by the way i have a friend named alli haylings lol who lives in CALI) half my class didnt pass it, mainly because they werent going fast enough. they all tried it again and most of them passed.

jw, where in cali do you live?

anarchy
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by anarchy »

don't know if it will make you feel any better or not, but you're not the only one not to pass... you realize the mistakes you made and you can work on improving. you have a good, positive attitude - you'll do better when you retake the course...

sharpmagna
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#7 Unread post by sharpmagna »

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again! I passed my MSF course, but I failed by license test for my automobile license when I was 17 :lol: I came in the following week and passed it that time. Don't get too down on yourself because you didn't pass. Learn from your mistakes and move on.

Good luck to ya!
1987 Honda <B>SUPER</B> Magna
[i]Bikesexual - I like to ride it long and hard...[/i]

Skel3tor1
Elite
Elite

#8 Unread post by Skel3tor1 »

When I took the MSF about a year ago, I believe out of our class we had all but one pass. It was an middle-aged woman. We had one guy who was almost in his 30s that was the "ace" in our group who rode around on a nice BMW and I guess he felt like doing the MSF for some reason other than getting his license through it.

But as previously stated, you have a good attitude and practice makes perfect so I'm sure you'll do fine your next class. :)
[img]http://www.skel3tor1.com/images/bikesigtm.jpg[/img]
Michael
Honda Rebel 250
[url=http://www.skel3tor1.com/main/blogs/index.php?blog=9]View[/url] my motorcycle blog or [url=http://www.youtube.com/skel3tor1]Watch[/url] my videos.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#9 Unread post by jstark47 »

Allison- off the top of my head, I think Pam Fisher (Lion_Lady), a mod on this site didn't pass her BRC first time around. (She's posted about it here before, but I can't find the post quickly). She kept practicing and subsequently passed it, and now several years later she's becoming an MSF instructor. You have the right attitude, if you don't pass at first, keep trying.

Jonathan
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#10 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Sorry you didn't pass. I know it really really sucks.

I didn't pass the first time I took the class. AND I didn't pass on my retest either... Because at the time I just was not comfortable with that 90 degree and 135 degree turn excercise >It sounds like the same excercise you had trouble on< I didn't really 'get it' during class, so I didn't get it right on the test either.

Nevertheless I still went and bought a bike the next week (a lucky break in hunting the local paper) and got comfortable with riding.

You have now learned that failing to pass the riding evaluation does not cause the world to end. :wink: It just sucks.

One thing that folks seem to not realize is that YOU CANNOT FAIL THE RIDING EVALUATION ON "THE BOX" (So long as you're trying and aren't riding dangerously or stupidly). Do the best you can, and focus on riding the rest of the exercises well.

You'll do fine.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul