New rider in the rain

Jave
Rookie
Rookie

New rider in the rain

#1 Unread post by Jave »

I've seen a few topics on this but I just want some more opinions.

I've never ridden a bike before but want to get started. I plan on making it my only mode of transportation, at least for commuting back and forth to work and I want to make sure I won't get stuck there.

How bad is it riding in the rain? If it's absolutely pouring outside, is it still possible to ride safely? I realize I'd have to take it slow but does it ever get to a point where it's unsafe no matter how careful you are? This would be on a sport bike btw.

I'm not so much concerned about getting wet myself but what are your opinions on this, can it become too much of a hassle?

MotoF150
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#2 Unread post by MotoF150 »

my problem riding in the rain is ur vision is restricted and the water always finds its way into the electrical connections of ur bike and causes problems, but there is a fix for both, Rain-X on ur windshield or helmet visor and generous amounts of di-electric grease on all the wire harness connectors on ur bike.
2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 09 Yamaha Tmax, 08 Suzuki King Quad 750

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male

#3 Unread post by Sev »

I've yet to have a problem with riding in the rain messing with my electrics. If the connectors are in good condition they should be nearly water tight as is.

A small amount of dielectric grease on the connectors is a good idea. As for riding in the rain, just increase following distance and be WAY smoother on the controls.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Gold Wing

#4 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

It's best to pull over or wait if it has just started. When the rain first falls, it lifts the oils and other petroleum products off the surface and makes everything very very slick. Let the rain wash those to the side for 15 or 30 minutes then get started. Like sev said; increase following distance, smooth operation. I also recommend slowing down and watch for pooling water. It might also be better to sit out a lightening storm inside a building. A biker in Oregon I believe was killed last year by a lightening strike.

Good Luck, Have Fun and Stay Safe!

Veda
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

Re: New rider in the rain

#5 Unread post by Veda »

Jave wrote: If it's absolutely pouring outside, is it still possible to ride safely? I realize I'd have to take it slow but does it ever get to a point where it's unsafe no matter how careful you are? This would be on a sport bike btw.
In pouring rain I would be concerned about people in cars not being able to see you. I know there have been rain storms in my own car where the wipers just aren't fast enough to clear the rain and the only reason I can see other traffic is because I see blobs of tail light. I would not feel safe riding in those conditions.

KingRobb
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 25
My Motorcycle: 2004 HD Road King

#6 Unread post by KingRobb »

they covered it.

enjoy the pain of water.
Dyin'? Boy, he can have this little life any time he wants to. Do ya hear that? Are ya hearin' it? Come on. You're welcome to it, ol' timer. Let me know you're up there. Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything. Just let me know it.

-Cool Hand Luke

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#7 Unread post by Sev »

KingRobb wrote:they covered it.

enjoy the pain of water.
Water is only a problem if you let it be. Mind over matter my friend, mind over matter.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#8 Unread post by dr_bar »

Sev wrote:Water is only a problem if you let it be. Mind over matter my friend, mind over matter.

Isn't that "Mind over water"??? :roll:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

MotoF150
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#9 Unread post by MotoF150 »

a good quality rainsuit is must, and you must include little waterproof booties that slide over ur shoes and waterproof gloves, I carry laytex gloves a doctor or a nurse uses that fit under my reg riding gloves, if ur hands get wet ur hands will freeze stiff. I don't ride in the rain but I carry rain gear with me and im prepared when im out and a storm hits. Oh yea, I forgot,, they make waterproof riding gloves that has a wiper blade on the left glove so you can wipe ur shield on ur full face helmet
2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 09 Yamaha Tmax, 08 Suzuki King Quad 750

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#10 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

I'm going to jump in on your OTHER point... making a motorcycle your only mode of transportation.

WHY? You've already brought up the weather issues. What about COLD? Does it NEVER snow or freeze where you live? Remember that riding at 60 mph in 40 degree temps will feel like well below freezing once you add in the wind chill.

OH, and also, the more often you ride, especially in traffic, the greater the likelihood that you will crash - get hit by an SUV driver, etc. not necessarily through your own error. Buying EXCELLENT protective gear will be essential, and NOT cheap. Figure on allowing at least $1000 for top end gear, including your helmet.

Do you really feel that a motorcycle will be more economical? Have you priced out the cost of basic maintenance (say, TIRES, oil changes, etc.) or insurance (will vary depending on WHAT machine you get and where you live). If you buy new, unless you can pay cash, you'll be required to have full coverage insurance.

Before you do anything else, sign up for a Basic Riders Course, thru the MSF (www.msf-usa.org) or even at your local HD dealer (Riders Edge). The very first step in this adventure you hope to be taking.

Pam
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul