Am I too ripe for the kill?

willw
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

Am I too ripe for the kill?

#1 Unread post by willw »

So, I walk into the local Yamaha dealership yesterday. I've got "newbie" stamped and twinkling all over me (my basic riders course is scheduled for June 22nd) but I'm just looking to get my bike fix that moment, since it is a warm (for a change) day in Vermont. I'm not seriously looking to sign any paperwork that morning. I'm upfront with them about that.

I've been in that dealership a few times over the last few months and the guys there already know I'm a newbie, but seriously looking for my first bike. They know I'm trying to nail down the perfect first bike, but not wanting to outgrow it too soon, either.

I know it has been a very bad sales season for dealerships in my area and they are hot to sell inventory. All motorized inventory, not just bikes (quads, snowmobiles, etc...not necessarily a weather related problem, but I digress...). I understand this.

I and the dealership guys also understand the Vstar 1100 seems to physically fit me like a glove. Feels great and they always see me gravitating to that bike.

They also know that there is an '06 they have that (I think) is priced just right.

I'm ripe for the kill.

They see me hesitate because I remind them that I am a newbie and would like to live to buy my second bike someday. I bring this up to them.

They tell me that the Vstar 1100 is okay for a first bike because, according to them, while it has power when I need it, the torque is mild enough for a beginner riding conservatively.

So, Is that true, or are they just trying to close the deal on the newbie. What they don't know is that I'm also considering the Vulcan 900 Custom, although I'm keeping all options open.

Is the Vstar1100 such a no-no for me that I should stay clear of that dealership for good? Unfortunately, the only other dealership in the area seems to use inexperienced sales people and I'm suspect of their advice, too.

Am I judging them unfairly?

In all fairness, I am looking to get something a little bit more substantial than a 650 or 750 cruiser and I've told them this.

Thanks.
www.sportshak.com

Dragonhawk
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#2 Unread post by Dragonhawk »

This is what happens when new riders buy cruisers that are too big for them......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNRNIS9LS48

Just something to think about.....

Salespeople do not care about you. They care about money.
[b]Are you a beginner rider?
Have a lot of questions about motorcycling?
Not sure what bike to start with?
[url=http://www.wyndfeather.com/learn/motorcycle.htm]Learn To Ride A Motorcycle - A Step-By-Step Guide[/url][/b]

willw
Regular
Regular

#3 Unread post by willw »

Dragonhawk wrote:This is what happens when new riders buy cruisers that are too big for them......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNRNIS9LS48

Just something to think about.....

Salespeople do not care about you. They care about money.
See, that's what I suspected. Needless to say, I didn't sign anything that day.

Now, is the VStar1100 considered too big? Is the Vulcan 900? Am I only stuck in the 650 - 750 range? Really, where is the top cut-off point? I don't want to get myself in the "I'll only ride conservatively until I get up to speed" mentality, either.

Thanks.
www.sportshak.com

Dragonhawk
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#4 Unread post by Dragonhawk »

willw wrote:Now, is the VStar1100 considered too big? Is the Vulcan 900? Am I only stuck in the 650 - 750 range? I don't want to get myself in the "I'll only ride conservatively until I get up to speed" mentality, either.
Learn to ride first.

You said you haven't even taken the MSF yet. Trust me, ALL motorcycles are faster and more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

My first bike was a Ninja 250. By all accounts, a Ninja 250 is considered a "small" bike for "beginners" and is very tame. It is the least powerful sportbike you can buy - and one of the least powerful overall bikes at only 36HP.

But despite that "low power" did you know a Ninja 250 will do 0-60 in under 6 seconds? It accellerates faster than a Ferrari Testarossa or a Ford Mach 1.

Think about that for a minute ... The LEAST POWERFUL sportbike you can buy does 0-60 FASTER than a Ferrarri Testarossa!

People tend to forget and/or overlook the immense power motorcycles have.

So, a 650cc cruiser will provide you with PLENTY of power. More than any other vehicle you have ever driven in your life. After you take the MSF, you'll start to understand just how amazing the speed of a motorcycle is.
[url=http://www.wyndfeather.com/learn/motorcycle.htm]Learn To Ride A Motorcycle - A Step-By-Step Guide[/url][/b]

willw
Regular
Regular

#5 Unread post by willw »

Dragonhawk wrote:So, a 650cc cruiser will provide you with PLENTY of power. More than any other vehicle you have ever driven in your life. After you take the MSF, you'll start to understand just how amazing the speed of a motorcycle is.
Which probably means that that red VStar 650 sitting next to the 1100 at the dealership, and looks really close to the 1100, is probably something I shouldn't be ashamed of riding, huh?

Yeah, I kind of know that deep down inside.

Of course, there's the whole male ego thing...

Thanks for responding.
www.sportshak.com

Dragonhawk
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#6 Unread post by Dragonhawk »

willw wrote:Which probably means that that red VStar 650 sitting next to the 1100 at the dealership, and looks really close to the 1100, is probably something I shouldn't be ashamed of riding, huh?
Nope. No shame whatsoever. Those are very cool bikes. Fellow riders will respect that sort of bike, and non-riders won't know the difference between an 1100 V-Star and a 650 V-Star anyway. So, you have no one to impress.
willw wrote:Of course, there's the whole male ego thing...
Ohhhh, get rid of that.

The "whole male ego thing" is not something to have on a motorcycle.

Male Ego Thing + Motorcycle = Hospital Bill Thing :wink:

DustyJacket
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#7 Unread post by DustyJacket »

My 3 cents (inflation, ya know) is that you take the course first.

Then go shopping for a bike. If the dealers you like have demo days it is even better.

I started with a used 500cc single cylinder thumper because that was what I had in the class. If I could never have bought another bike, it would still serve well. (My wife is riding it these days.)

The bike I thought I wanted to grow into was awfull for me once I actually test rode one during demo days. I ended up buying my currnt bike because when I tet rode it, you couldn't remove the smile from my face with a crowbar.
Bikers Against Child Abuse - Kansas City Chapter
www.bacainternational.org

Bill and Pete do the Dragon's Tail at Deal's Gap:
www.dustyjacket.com/dragon/index.html

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#8 Unread post by NorthernPete »

The Vstar 650s are pretty sweet bikes, also, since you possibly were in a Kawi dealership, maybe take a peek at the Vulcan 500, got snot and they look pretty good.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

The549
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#9 Unread post by The549 »

willw wrote:
Dragonhawk wrote:So, a 650cc cruiser will provide you with PLENTY of power. More than any other vehicle you have ever driven in your life. After you take the MSF, you'll start to understand just how amazing the speed of a motorcycle is.
Which probably means that that red VStar 650 sitting next to the 1100 at the dealership, and looks really close to the 1100, is probably something I shouldn't be ashamed of riding, huh?

Yeah, I kind of know that deep down inside.

Of course, there's the whole male ego thing...

Thanks for responding.
Buy a used 900 or less cc cruiser, since it seems like you want a cruiser. You'll get used to the feel, it'll look like a standard size bike, and it'll be cheaper with a better resale, even if you sell it 3 months later. Ultimately, the only way you'll NEVER have to worry about what other people think of your ride is if you swing your leg over a custom $40,000 harley...and a $45,000 custom MV....at the same time. But a regular size cruiser (750-ish cc) will look just fine for your manhood. :P

Take the MSF before you buy! I bought first, and was fine, but it was a 450cc which ended up being more expensive to learn on than if I were to just pay for the msf.

BUT - before you buy, I advise you to sit and ride some STANDARD style bikes. Much easier to turn and more versatile. They will also be MUCH faster than a cruiser, so be careful, however it's worth the possibility that you, like me, will change your mind over which style of bike you want. I love cruisers, but after knowing the handling of my 550cc standard, I would feel like I was riding a slug (the insect) if I bought a cruiser.

...and then you can get waves from both cruiser bling-bling fat guys and superpoweranger green striped racers - most of the time.

Ian522
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#10 Unread post by Ian522 »

All the sales guy cares about is getting your money. He gets more alot more commission selling a V-Star 1100 than a newbie friendly bike like a V-Star 650.

The V-star 650 is a great looking bike, is newb friendly and has enough power to keep you interested while you learn. Believe me...to a brand new rider, even a 250 feels like a rocket at first.

But its not just the power, but also the weight of the bike that you should take into consideration. The V-star 1100 at almost 600 pounds is pretty hefty for a beginner bike.