Cross Country Tank Capacities and Appropriate Bikes

cyphecks
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Cross Country Tank Capacities and Appropriate Bikes

#1 Unread post by cyphecks »

Hi, I'm planning on a long cross country trip later this summer, around 7000 miles. I'm considering taking a 2005 Sportster 883 on it. The specs listed for this bike say it gets nearly 60mpg on a 3.3 liter tank on the highway. Thats about 200 miles to the tank at constant speeds. As I have never done a trip like this before, what I would like to know is if that sort of fuel capacity makes sense on such a long trip. Are there sections of the southwest that don't have gas stations for 150 - 200 miles? Does anyone have any recommendations on other bikes (less than $6k), or have any advice on buying an older used bike?
Any help with any of the issues is much appreciated, thanks.
Ethan

ANDS!
Elite
Elite

#2 Unread post by ANDS! »

Koss
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male

#3 Unread post by Koss »

If I remember correctly, the most i've seen inbetween gas stations in the southwest was 65 or 80 miles. Then again, I've only been as far west as Arizona... never been through death valley... etc. But I doubt that you won't be able to find a route that will get you where you need to be using a bike. People have been riding through the desert southwest for many, many, decades.

Edit: Oh I nearly forgot... for extended ranges you can carry very safe and compact fuel containers designed for the motorcyclist and their luggage in mind.
http://www.livevideo.com/Koss