Buying Bike like Buying Car?

cjr
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Buying Bike like Buying Car?

#1 Unread post by cjr »

A few weeks ago, I discovered this excellent site and have been "lurking" ever since, soaking up all the info this newbie can. Please know that the primers for people like me that plan to get their license and buy their first bike are sincerely the best I've found on the Internet. The wisdom offered by experienced riders is much appreciated.

But I just joined this site because I cannot find an answer to my question after searching for it. I live in Milwaukee and am set on buying a BMW in about three months, after I take the safety course I've signed up for and get my M-class from the DMV. Because I'm impatient, I've also been contacting the few area dealers for quotes on the F650GS I'm interested in. My question: Is the motorcycle-buying process similar to buying a new car? i.e. will dealers negotiate down from m.s.r.p. prices? I've contacted two dealers via e-mail so far and while only one has responded, they quoted m.s.r.p. even though I asked for their "best" price on that model with the options I want. I followed the same process about a year ago on the new Honda SUV I wanted and literally negotiated the whole deal from my Mac before ever visiting the dealer.

Given the scarcity of BMW dealers around here, and the fact that most of the local peeps probably want a Harley anyway, do I need to accept the prices I receive or is there room to deal from m.s.r.p.? I appreciate any help...

IcyHound
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#2 Unread post by IcyHound »

You can negotiate thou BMW's may be harder then some.

Many bike dealers don't take you seriously till you walk into the door.

Also its spring and people are flocking to buy. You won't have as much wiggle room as later in the year or winter.
------------------------
Kawasaki Fangirl
I ride Mantis - Yamaha FZ6

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Gold Wing

#3 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

:welcome2:

I don't think you'll have much luck getting less than MSRP but, try to get OTD at MSRP. Out the door including tax/title/license/etc. If they won't do that or on top of that, try to get some freebies; like a percentage off gear and accessories or a free helmet, jacket, etc.

Good Luck and Stay Safe Out There!

Bachstrad37
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#4 Unread post by Bachstrad37 »

Wiggle room from msrp depends on when you buy. Cars for the most part are year round now that manufacturers are releasing new models througout the year. It used to be just the fall when new car models are released, but no longer. Motorcycles on the other hand, are still that way due to a fixed riding season.

Your best time to negotiate for new motorcycles are at the end of the riding season or last year's leftovers. Dealers holding onto a non-moving item most often lose money due to depreciation.
2003 VN1500P Kawasaki Mean Streak
2009 Yamaha Nytro FX

Nibblet99
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#5 Unread post by Nibblet99 »

Go in with the price you're willing to pay for an OTR Bike (On The Road - tax, title, etc)

If they won't meet it, walk out the door and try the next garage. If no garages will meet it then raise price a little and see what happens.

If you don't go in with a set plan, its very easy for them to convince you to pay a few hundred more here, some there, and pretty soon you're talking significantly over what you wanted to pay
Starting out responsibly? - [url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=24730]Clicky[/url]
looking for a forum that advocates race replica, 600cc supersports for learners on public roads? - [url=http://www.google.com]Clicky[/url]

Flting Duck
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by Flting Duck »

If you're set on getting a BMW, I'd advise you to understand what mainteneance costs will be before buying or what it takes to DIY.

For opinions on BMWs, advice on how to buy and info on real life mainteneance costs, I'd suggest posting over at the BMWsporttouring forum. They will also have opinions on which BMW dealers are good ones and which to look out for.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

There's also an F650 forum out there somewere too - don't remember the name offhand.

Lots of 650 riders over at http://www.advrider.com too.
93 BMW K1100LT "The Green Hornet"
91 BMW K100RS 4V "Kato"
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#7 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Flting Duck wrote:There's also an F650 forum out there somewere too - don't remember the name offhand.
Check out the Chain Gang http://www.f650.com/

Lots of useful info. I lurked there a lot before i got my F 650 CS (search function sucks though).

The GS has been around a few years, a used one might be better value (if that's a factor). And if you're not really planning to take the bike on trails, you might want to consider a CS; tires and suspension much better for paved roads.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

cjr
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by cjr »

I cannot thank all of you enough that have so far replied to my initial question!

Again, I gush at how useful the collective expertise of this forum's members is proving as I prepare to hit road.

cjr
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by cjr »

Bachstrad37 wrote:Wiggle room from msrp depends on when you buy. Cars for the most part are year round now that manufacturers are releasing new models througout the year. It used to be just the fall when new car models are released, but no longer. Motorcycles on the other hand, are still that way due to a fixed riding season.

Your best time to negotiate for new motorcycles are at the end of the riding season or last year's leftovers. Dealers holding onto a non-moving item most often lose money due to depreciation.
Bachstrad47: TOTAL newbie question, but what generally is considered the "fixed riding season" for bikes? I can guess what it is in Wisconsin because of our screwy seasons, yet I negotiated a great deal on my latest SUV in Feb/March last year, so you never know...

cjr
Rookie
Rookie

#10 Unread post by cjr »

Nibblet99 wrote:Go in with the price you're willing to pay for an OTR Bike (On The Road - tax, title, etc)

If they won't meet it, walk out the door and try the next garage. If no garages will meet it then raise price a little and see what happens.

If you don't go in with a set plan, its very easy for them to convince you to pay a few hundred more here, some there, and pretty soon you're talking significantly over what you wanted to pay
Nibblet99: The trouble I'm already running up against is that there aren't that many other "garages" to go to in my area. The quotes I'm getting for the F650GS from the three "recognized" WI BMW dealers are at m.s.r.p. or above. I really don't want to travel two hours or more to IL or elsewhere to get the best deal, but I'm starting to wonder if supply and demand might make it worthwhile...