Bleh, dad has to screw everything up.

Peter Y
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

Re: Bleh, dad has to screw everything up.

#21 Unread post by Peter Y »

C-1_Biker wrote:
I can't wait to sell my car, then I should have enough to buy a blazer and a newer bike, but there's still the issue of my dad just saying no. I think its time to move out, but I only make 9.50 an hour, so if I had to pay rent I probably wouldn't even be able to afford a bike...this sucks...

Sorry, just venting.
U know I think I can comment on this as a subject matter expert from the financial/career point of things.

Im a Finance Manager for a global company and lead a lifestyle with my family that we are very grateful for.

You definitly need to invest every bit of energy & resource you have into your education. The way I see this every day under your parents roof not paying bills is an additional day you can focus on your university (college you folks call it).

Its amazing what a good education will do for you. I wasnt fortunate enough to go straight to college so I had to get a full time job and then go to night school so it took me seven years to graduate.

I got my first bike at age 35 but its worth it. U want your bike compromise with your folks. Make a deal with them. You spend half of your original budget, stick to your financial commitments etc etc.

If you move out you will be worried about rent, electricity etc etc. Thats all time and resource not spend studying. You are making an investment right now by going to college so be wise.

BlueBomber
Elite
Elite

#22 Unread post by BlueBomber »

my advice is to keep saving, keep paying them (maybe pay more per month as well)

Keep some money stocked up for when THE BAD STUFF happens (fender bender, starter goes in the car, whatever)

and keep looking for a bike on THE CHEAP (do you have your license? go to an MSF course and get one, now, before investing the money in the bike)

eventually you'll have the money, and the time, and the car paid off.

\/\/
Suzuki Boulevard M50 - Bright Blue

Nibblet99
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#23 Unread post by Nibblet99 »

I thought $1000 on a bike was cheap?
Starting out responsibly? - [url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=24730]Clicky[/url]
looking for a forum that advocates race replica, 600cc supersports for learners on public roads? - [url=http://www.google.com]Clicky[/url]

loPro
Rookie
Rookie

#24 Unread post by loPro »

Sounds like you got all the advice you need.

Relax bro. Plenty of time, I've been wanting a bike since I was 19 and I'm still relaxing, saving cash, and learning what I can do to be a better rider when the time comes around.

You'll get yourself a bike when the time is right.

anarchy
Elite
Elite

#25 Unread post by anarchy »

think it's unfair that your dad wants to waste $2k + on a pool/ping pong table and won't let you spend a measly $1k on a bike??

here's what you do:
  • pay back the money you owe them for the car
  • move out
  • start supporting yourself
hmmm, can't (don't want) do that?? here's what you do:
  • give dad a hug and thank him for supporting you
  • grow up
you've got too many other things to be worrying about first - like how to support yourself. when you're finally supporting yourself and have your own family, you'll know exactly where he's coming from...

ANDS!
Elite
Elite

#26 Unread post by ANDS! »

I was THIS close to getting a bike. I found both a 89 cbr600 and an 89 ninja 500 for around 1000 bucks on craigslist, and I would have picked up either one. (I know I know the cbr is not a beginner bike).
I think I saw both of those ads. . .wasnt the cbr600 "streetfightered" or some such nonsense?

KingRobb
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 25
My Motorcycle: 2004 HD Road King

#27 Unread post by KingRobb »

anarchy wrote:think it's unfair that your dad wants to waste $2k + on a pool/ping pong table and won't let you spend a measly $1k on a bike??

here's what you do:
  • pay back the money you owe them for the car
  • move out
  • start supporting yourself
hmmm, can't (don't want) do that?? here's what you do:
  • give dad a hug and thank him for supporting you
  • grow up
you've got too many other things to be worrying about first - like how to support yourself. when you're finally supporting yourself and have your own family, you'll know exactly where he's coming from...
hard to argue with real life answers
Dyin'? Boy, he can have this little life any time he wants to. Do ya hear that? Are ya hearin' it? Come on. You're welcome to it, ol' timer. Let me know you're up there. Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything. Just let me know it.

-Cool Hand Luke

C-1_Biker
Regular
Regular

#28 Unread post by C-1_Biker »

I think I saw both of those ads. . .wasnt the cbr600 "streetfightered" or some such nonsense?
Nope, nothing like that in the ad I was looking at.
and keep looking for a bike on THE CHEAP (do you have your license? go to an MSF course and get one, now, before investing the money in the bike)
I'm constantly looking for bikes, and I alreday passed my MSF and have my licsense.

koji52
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#29 Unread post by koji52 »

yea dude...don't worry about the bike or luxury items at this point of your life...five years ago, my parents gave me a choice of living on my own in the college dorms or live at home and commute with a car that they'd buy for me. I stupidly chose to live in college and party my "O Ring" off...i've gotten loans for school and loans for cars...the only thing that's helping me now is my education...the nice things can wait...believe me...i play guitar and spent a whole boatload the past 10 years on guitars...i shouldve stopped at the first one i got (i'm still using it)...i'd have much more money if i'd just kept my wallet closed.

Oh the lessons we learn after the fact.

Apollofrost
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#30 Unread post by Apollofrost »

I'm out of the house now, but this thread is still food for thought.
I'm starting a petition to cull narrowminded dull people - be afraid Peter, be very afraid....
-Anonymous