MX Boots for Riding? Pros vs Cons????

45ACP
Rookie
Rookie

MX Boots for Riding? Pros vs Cons????

#1 Unread post by 45ACP »

Hey everyone,
I am new to riding, and I am in the process of getting my gear together. So far I have a Shoei Helmet, Vanson Leather Jacket w/Armor, Bohn Airtex Body Armor Shirt for more humid days, and Leather Gloves. The last item I have been looking at is boots. I finally pulled the trigger last night, and purchased a pair of Alpinestars Tech 6 Motocross boots. Maybe it is still a bit of fear, but I wanted something that is going to provide more protection than just a piece of leather.

What do you guys think? What are some pros and cons of using MX boots for daily riding? They are still very comfortable, and offer more protection than most other boots. I am trying to figure out if I made a bad choice! Thanks for the help!
Nothing like an old bike!
1974 CB750
1989 CB650
1981 XS850
1977 CB750
1981 xt250

t_bonee
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by t_bonee »

I dunno. I just wear leather boots. If MX boots are what is comfortable to you and your are cool with the protection they offer, then you made the right choice.
A dog had his chain reduced one link at a time, every few days, until his chain was so short he could barely move. He never resisted because he was conditioned to the loss of his freedom slowly, over time. Are we in this country becoming like the dog?

celt
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by celt »

i have often wondered about this myself...

those MX boots seem to be more armored than street boots, so i ASSUME they would be just as good or better,

but

i don't know if they use less heavy materials since they are generally used for dirt and not meant to be sliding on or hitting aspahlt...

hopefully we have some MXers here to set us straight...

flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

#4 Unread post by flw »

If your trying to use boots you already have, I would say their fine, if not better than many riding boots out there. As long as there comfortable and not a hassle to put on/off.

There are some nice side zipper boots out there but are not cheap for quality. They are very nice for a quick change.
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#5 Unread post by Shorts »

MX boots will offer fine protection when riding.

As for "only leather"boots, a lot of folks do other things when they're not on the bike, like walk around at work, or go through other casual places where a more casual boot style looks better.

A lot of folks find a nice boot that can serve several purposes, Get what works for you.

ejjury
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by ejjury »

I wear my horse riding boots.

http://www.ariat.com/products_detail.as ... 107&pid=64

Comfortable, waterproof, breathable, and you can walk around in them all day. They also come in Men's.

As for jacket, I bought what fit and was on sale so I have a Joe Rocket textile jacket and a less expensive full face helmet. I figure I can wait on the leathers until I get money for the leathers. Horses of all kinds are expensive to have, and the flesh ones need leather a bit more than I do.
Disobedience, in the eyes of anyone who has read history, is man's original virtue. It is through disobedience and rebellion that progress has been made.
-Oscar Wilde

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#7 Unread post by jstark47 »

ejjury- just be careful of the laces on those things! :)
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

ejjury
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by ejjury »

jstark47 wrote:ejjury- just be careful of the laces on those things! :)
Don't worry, I am. I make sure I tuck them in nice and tight inside my boot.
Disobedience, in the eyes of anyone who has read history, is man's original virtue. It is through disobedience and rebellion that progress has been made.
-Oscar Wilde

Bubble Gum Jr.
Veteran
Veteran

#9 Unread post by Bubble Gum Jr. »

I have a pair of mixed use boots Street and MotoX, not sure if it applies 100% but I liked the feel of these boots as opposed to just standard leather workboots simply because they had protection where I need it, it didn't feel clunky and I was able to make quick adjustments with my foot with ease.

With the regular leather boots, they just felt way too large to be used with a motorcycle. Almost as if I was was a little kick walking around in my dad's shoes. The boot also seemed to give me move trouble shifting because I have to adjust my movement due to the larger size of the boot.