center of gravity on a harley

koji52
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Male

center of gravity on a harley

#1 Unread post by koji52 »

Some guy told me not to own a harley because the center of gravity is not where it should be, which makes it more dangerous to ride than any other bike over 35mph...is this true? I've never heard it before and I can't find anything on the internet to support his theory.

Nibblet99
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#2 Unread post by Nibblet99 »

That would be the first I'd heard of it, and I've seen bikes where the CoG would be higher (dual sports) and lower (some cruisers).

Any other discrepency in CoG (both in length and width of the bike) would have a minimal impact unless you were doing wheelies and stoppies (unlikely when you're learning)
Starting out responsibly? - [url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=24730]Clicky[/url]
looking for a forum that advocates race replica, 600cc supersports for learners on public roads? - [url=http://www.google.com]Clicky[/url]

Nalian
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#3 Unread post by Nalian »

No - for one thing there isn't just 1 bike with 1 center of gravity. He may have ridden one bike that didn't mesh well with him, or a bike that had an issue.

Either way what he said is a buncha bull. :)

Dragonhawk
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#4 Unread post by Dragonhawk »

Just sitting on a Sportster freaks me out, because the CG is like 9 feet above my head.

But, seriously, the CG of a Harley is a matter of opinion. Yes, on the Sportster, the CG is awkward and way too high for my liking.

However, keep in mind that plenty of riders never notice things like that. Plenty of folks ride Harley's and have no problems with the CG. So, if you want to own a Harley, I wouldn't let the CG position discourage you. Try it out for yourself and see if it's comfortable. Doesn't matter if other folks aren't comfortable on your bike. Only YOU need to be comfortable on your bike.
[b]Are you a beginner rider?
Have a lot of questions about motorcycling?
Not sure what bike to start with?
[url=http://www.wyndfeather.com/learn/motorcycle.htm]Learn To Ride A Motorcycle - A Step-By-Step Guide[/url][/b]

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#5 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Dragonhawk wrote:Just sitting on a Sportster freaks me out, because the CG is like 9 feet above my head.
I hope that's hyperbole and you just think that it's a higher cog than you'd expect on a cruiser.

What that guy told you is a bunch of bull. Cruisers have lower COG typically which make their monstrous weight manageable. It's the same reason the goldwing has a low center of gravity.

Either way the only time I've seen a COG be a problem is at slow speed manuevering. By the time you hit 35mph your no longer noticing if your bike is top heavy or has a low center of gravity.
Last edited by storysunfolding on Thu May 03, 2007 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

koji52
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#6 Unread post by koji52 »

thanks guys...yea he apparently raced motorcycles back in his earlier years...i don't know though...i just wanted to see what other people thought...i'm not physics major but what he was really trying to put across to me was the the center of gravity (maybe he said balance...im pretty sure he said gravity though) is too far back. He said most bikes have the center of gravity farther forward than on a harley, which is apparently " between the testicles". He said the difference is obvious when you switch from harley to another bike and if i can't see the difference i'm not riding material...i've never been on another bike though so who knows...haha

Nalian
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#7 Unread post by Nalian »

The biggest issue with what he said is the fact that harley has a crapload of differen bikes - all very different from one another in how they feel/COG wise. A sportster is a completely different beast than a dyna, for example.

I'd question a lot of what he tells you if that's the kind of 'advice' he's going to impart.

koji52
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#8 Unread post by koji52 »

true..which is why i'm still sticking with my harley haha

tortus
Elite
Elite

#9 Unread post by tortus »

For sure, Harleys receive more sweeping generalizations than any other brand (or style) of bike.

Gatineau_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

Re: center of gravity on a harley

#10 Unread post by Gatineau_Guy »

koji52 wrote:Some guy told me not to own a harley because the center of gravity is not where it should be, which makes it more dangerous to ride than any other bike over 35mph...is this true? I've never heard it before and I can't find anything on the internet to support his theory.
My wife and I just bought an 07 harley sportster custom (XL883C) and it does not feel unsafe at all above 35 mph. The seating position with the forward controls felt a little weird at first compared to my Monster but once you get used to it, the Sportster is a fun bike to ride.