Ride Like a Pro DVD's

Sandibeach
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

Ride Like a Pro DVD's

#1 Unread post by Sandibeach »

Hi there,

I read somewhere these DVD's - Ride Like a Pro series are very good. I'm a new rider and I did take my course, but I would like to learn more. Do you think they are good for a beginner? Anyone ever watched them? I have a small bike - 125cc Honda and these seemed sorta geared towards bigger bikes, but what interests me is they show safety techniques that police learn. What ever techniques I can learn to ride better, bring it on!

Tks!
2007 Honda CBR125

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#2 Unread post by Shorts »

No answers until you post a ride report on that smoking CBR125 :mrgreen:

Sandibeach
Regular
Regular

#3 Unread post by Sandibeach »

It's funny, I just did but on another forum - a little lower down where they talk about rumours of the CBR 125.

Here's what I wrote:

Well I bought this CBR125 and couldn't be happier. I don't know about the USA, the Ninja 250 is twice as much as the CBR in Canada. Even a used Ninja runs easily around $4500-$5000 and I even then, I couldn't find very many for sale. All the used bikes I looked at that are 250cc were priced around $3000-$4000 (anything made in the year 2000 and newer). In Canada the CBR is $3500 plus tax. To insure, it's $300 a year fully insured both ways.

I think this is a great starter bike to drive around town and learn on. I've had it for a week and I'm sure by now I would have bailed on a bigger bike. You can't imagine the attention this bike is getting from fellow riders.. they want it for their friends or girlfriends starting out.

I think the other manufactures are going to follow suit. I know in Ottawa almost all the dealers are already sold out, and that was 2 weeks ago - before the bikes even came into the dealerships. I went on the Honda demo ride a couple of weeks back and he said they are selling like hot cakes!

This bike is geared for new riders, not experienced riders. My husband thinks it's a hoot to drive, but he won't give up his 600 cc bike for this.

I just love it, it's so easy to drive, light and cool looking. Honestly I think it's more a "girl" bike as it's the perfect height for me. I'm 5'7 and my feet are flat on the ground, so I have good control and balance. My 6'2 husband looks kinda of big on it, but he loves driving it for fun! I did take his FZ6 out in the parking lot and it scared me - so I'm so glad to have this and I think it's making my experience a good one.
2007 Honda CBR125

Skier
Site Supporter - Platinum

#4 Unread post by Skier »

I watched a good chunk of one of the Ride Like a Pro DVDs and it seemed to be aimed at cruiser riders. I got more out of Hough's Proficient Motorcycling books than watching the Ride Like a Pro DVD.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

Sandibeach
Regular
Regular

#5 Unread post by Sandibeach »

Thanks, I have both his books. They are very good and I'm reading them now. I was hoping to get something more visual, but I had suspected those videos were more geared towards large cruisers types. To order them into Canada, they can be pretty expensive with shipping, duties and taxes.
2007 Honda CBR125

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#6 Unread post by Gummiente »

Skier wrote:I watched a good chunk of one of the Ride Like a Pro DVDs and it seemed to be aimed at cruiser riders.
Bingo. Good info on them, though, but I do have issues with someone instructing how to ride a bike "like a pro" while wearing a t-shirt and no gloves. :roll:
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

MicheleZ
Elite
Elite

#7 Unread post by MicheleZ »

I have the Ride Like a Pro DVD and I think they are VERY good. They really teach you to do slow maneuvers - and that is for ANY type of bike - not just cruisers. Believe me, I have seen more than I care to of people who have NO idea how to ride slow, paddle footing, dragging their feet, wobbling around, not looking where they want to go. If more people would practice this stuff once in a while we would have much better riders on the road.

Skier

#8 Unread post by Skier »

MicheleZ wrote:I have the Ride Like a Pro DVD and I think they are VERY good. They really teach you to do slow maneuvers - and that is for ANY type of bike - not just cruisers. Believe me, I have seen more than I care to of people who have NO idea how to ride slow, paddle footing, dragging their feet, wobbling around, not looking where they want to go. If more people would practice this stuff once in a while we would have much better riders on the road.
I don't recall what the drills were, exactly, but I do recall not a single mention of using "body English." The positioning of your body doesn't mean a heck of a lot in low-speed maneuvers with an 800 pound cruiser with the weight down low, but it plays a tremendous role with a 400 pound bike with the weight up high. The fact they didn't cover this is a huge omission in my book.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

MicheleZ
Elite
Elite

#9 Unread post by MicheleZ »

Skier wrote:I don't recall what the drills were, exactly, but I do recall not a single mention of using "body English." The positioning of your body doesn't mean a heck of a lot in low-speed maneuvers with an 800 pound cruiser with the weight down low, but it plays a tremendous role with a 400 pound bike with the weight up high. The fact they didn't cover this is a huge omission in my book.
Yep, don't believe they cover that - however, I have been doing the drills with my enduro and they have really helped. The point is, it will help anyone become better at controlling their bike at slow speeds. I got the *feel* of my bike by doing these slow moves. If I was riding a cruiser I would have to adjust how I do the drills for the weight and balance of the bike - pretty elementary I think.

Nibblet99
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#10 Unread post by Nibblet99 »

body english? and I thought the US english perversion of our language was bad enough :laughing:
Starting out responsibly? - [url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=24730]Clicky[/url]
looking for a forum that advocates race replica, 600cc supersports for learners on public roads? - [url=http://www.google.com]Clicky[/url]