Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F800ST

Is a bike right for me?

#1 Unread post by Septimus »

Hi,

I'm a complete neophyte and what I know about bikes consists of what I've read this morning. I'm not "in love" with the idea of owning a bike and want to make a reasonable, semi-practical decision (as practical as any decision involving dropping several grand on a motorcycle is, anyway).

I've read the stickies and my first step before even browsing models after this post is going to be to sign up for an MSF course. My question at the moment is whether or not, given my circumstances, those of you with experience and wisdom (either would be fine) would suggest that I even consider this.

Here's my deal:

- I live in Manhattan. I do not need to get around Manhattan. I have a bicycle for that.
- I'd like to have some avenue of escape that I can use, periodically, to get to Jersey, Delaware, upstate New York, or any place within a range of about 200-250 miles.
- I have no interest in being a speed or style demon. I want to get from point A to point B and (preferably) not get killed doing so.
- I appreciate the heightened security, parking, and insurance complexities of owning a bike in NYC.
- It would be a great perk if it would be possible to, say, make it down the Jersey turnpike in mild weather (i.e. light/moderate rain but not thunderstorms) but I'm completely ignorant about whether or not I'm a total idiot for even thinking that could be possible.
- I don't want to spend ten grand. Five or six, sure. Less = even better!

Basically, it's impossible to own a car in NYC due to the parking and insurance requirements, and it's much cheaper to park a bike here. I don't travel a whole heck of a lot but I'd like to be able to.

Is there a bike out there for me?

Thanks very much!

Ian522
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#2 Unread post by Ian522 »

I live in jersey and know what nyc traffic is like. If I were you id want a lightweight, nimble bike that you could manuver through tight spots. A huge, heavyweight cruiser or a really fast race bike would be rather impractical in my opinion for city use.

For around $5-6k you have quite a few options. If you like the sportbike look, the kawasaki ninja 250 or ninja 500 would be good choices as they are light and manuverable but can still cruise down the highway in relative comfort.

If you more prefer the cruiser(harley-look) style of bike, you could also consider smaller middleweight cruisers like the kawasaki vulcan 500 or Yamaha v-star 650.

Also dual sport bikes are worth considering because they have lots of ground clearance and suspension travel, which would do well on pothole-ridden nyc streets. But if you plan to cruise on the highway, you'll need one of the bigger 650cc dual sports (suzuki dr650, kawasaki klr650, etc.) These are very tall bikes though, so if you are on the shorter side they wouldnt be the best choice.

You are on the right track about first taking an MSF course.

Septimus
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by Septimus »

Thanks for the information!

I'm about 6'0" and 200 pounds. Big but not too big.

I guess my biggest question is: to what extent would you bother accommodating driving inside NYC, given that my primary interest is not getting around NYC itself, but in leaving NYC? I ride my bicycle and take the subway around Manhattan, and while I guess I could take the bike to Brooklyn or Queens, I am primarily interested in something that will hold up for longer trips. Would a smaller, nimble bike that would be of value on city streets still hold up on the Jersey turnpike for 3 hours?

I am honestly ambivalent when it comes to "look." It'd be nice if I could carry a few things but I have a lot to learn before I am anywhere close to making a decision.

rwp
Veteran
Veteran

#4 Unread post by rwp »

If you're truly not interested in the motorcycling experience but just want cheap and practical transportation, I'd suggest renting a car for those times when you need to travel outside the city.

By the way, I'm really impressed that you cycle through Manhattan and the other boroughs. Here in Reno, most drivers treat cyclists with respect and consideration. Somehow I think it may be different in NYC.
GSX1216F

Ian522
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#5 Unread post by Ian522 »

Well typically the trade off is that small bikes arent as comfortable on the highway for long periods. In your case, probably a bike in the 500-650cc range would be the best compromise between beginner-friendlyness and highway performance. Many people will recommend 250cc bikes for a beginner, but 3 hours down the jersey turnpike on a 250 wouldnt be much fun. Maybe an exception would be the ninja 250...which from what I hear can handle freeway travel pretty well.

The differnet catagories of bike (crusier, sport, standard, dual sport, etc) all have different characteristics like seating position, handling, etc. They will discuss this in MSF.

As a starting point id suggest you research the Suzuki GS500, Kawasaki ninja 250 and ninja 500, Kawasaki Vulcan 500, Yamaha v-star 650, Suzuki DR650, and Kawasaki KLR650.

Septimus
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by Septimus »

rwp,

I'm not uninterested in the motorcycle experience. I just don't want to make a vanity/thrill purchase. My primary "needs" are practical but if I really just needed to move around and didn't care how, I would do as you suggest and rent a car or take public transit.

Certainly there is an element of enjoyment to this and it has its appeal. I don't mean to come off as unimpressed by everything that bikes have to offer -- I just don't want to make an impulse buy because of how "cool" bikes can be as that would be very easy for me to do!

I guess, in other words, I need to rationalize this as being practical as WELL as everything else it can be.

The Yamaha V-star series looks promising, but then I won't really even have the vocabulary to translate "promising" into "purchase" until after the MSF course.

Thanks again!

-Holiday
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#7 Unread post by -Holiday »

based on what you're looking for a larger scooter would be perfect for you. Something along the lines of a suzuki bergman or yamaha morpheus or majesty. You'll be as comfortable as can be, they're auto so you dont have to worry about shifting, and it will have more storage room than a stock motorcycle without hard or soft bags.

I'd seriously consider looking into that.
2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200s
Vespa Rally 200 in pieces

[img]http://www.brian-payne.com/bikes/VisitedStatesMap.jpg[/img]

Septimus
Elite
Elite

#8 Unread post by Septimus »

I haven't driven with an automatic transmission in about 6 years (all stick since then) so I'm okay with the idea of shifting.

I'm also not so much interested in supreme comfort as just not being too uncomfortable after a few hours on the turnpike. I'm not really aware of what separates a "large scooter" from a "motorcycle" other than that the scooters seem to be geared a little bit more towards comfort, perhaps at the expense of performance?

Maybe I should dial back my pragmatism just a little. :)

Septimus
Elite
Elite

#9 Unread post by Septimus »

By the way, I'm really impressed that you cycle through Manhattan and the other boroughs
This is a little off-topic, but Manhattan has a "greenway" that goes around most of the island. I only have to bike on city streets between the outer edge of the island and a straight-shot east or west to wherever I'm going.

Still, on most one-way city streets, it's not bad.

-Holiday
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#10 Unread post by -Holiday »

im not saying you couldnt or shouldnt shift, its just another option that i'm sure you'd enjoy while sitting in NYC traffic on your way to the expressway. A lot of people dont have an open mind about scooters while doing their research as to what ride will best suit their needs. I'm just saying based on what you've said, look into it.

BTW, "performace" for your purposes as a commuter/trip taker will not come into play when you compare a scooter to a motorcycle.

Maybe a scooter isnt for you, but i'd suggest not ruling them out until you've sat on one and considered all of your options.
2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200s
Vespa Rally 200 in pieces

[img]http://www.brian-payne.com/bikes/VisitedStatesMap.jpg[/img]