How long does an engine last before noticeable power loss?

seansinisi
Rookie
Rookie

How long does an engine last before noticeable power loss?

#1 Unread post by seansinisi »

I am looking for my second 600 bike, (wrecked the first, fluke accident):frusty: , and i am looking around for something cheaper. I found a nice 1999 honda CBR 600 F4, but it has 28,000 miles on it.

I know cars and bikes aren't the same but i know honda cars can go 200k miles + and be all good.

So my question is, how long does an engine last before noticable power loss? How many miles is too many to buy a bike at? I don't want some junker. I don't know if that many miles makes a difference on a street bike. (the place says its "mechanicly and structurly perfect")

any input is great
thanks

telefunkin
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by telefunkin »

It really depends on how hard it was ridden and how well it was maintained.

seansinisi
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by seansinisi »

would you think 28k miles is too much?

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#4 Unread post by mgdavis »

Like he said, it depends on the bike. If it was babied it might go 100k miles. If it was beat, its time might be up. you just can't tell over the internet.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject.
Molon Labe!!!

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#5 Unread post by Sev »

28k miles is nothing if he had the proper maintenance done, and it was garaged correctly. If he skipped out the engine/bike in general might be "poo poo". Bikes are run to such fine limits that you HAVE to take things on a case by case basis, there are NO generalizations.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

rwp
Veteran
Veteran

#6 Unread post by rwp »

Power loss in an older engine is usually from poor compression in one or more cylinders. This could be from poorly sealing valves or maybe from bad rings. If you're concerned, take a compression guage and a spark plug wrench with you to the test drive. If you ask nicely and look like you're a serious buyer, most owners would be more than happy to let you check the compression.
GSX1216F

seansinisi
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by seansinisi »

thanks a lot guys