Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Gold Wing

#11 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

:welcome2: guitarist.

Very few people on this forum are going to recommend a 600cc+ sportbike to a beginner and for very good reason. Check out these links before making your decision:
Beginner's Guide
stickies
Learn To Ride A Motorcycle
Helmet Fit Guideline

I also recommend an MSF or other reputable safety course.

Good Luck, Have Fun and Stay Safe Out There.

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Re: Want to get a sport bike as first motorcycle

#12 Unread post by jonnythan »

guitarist4781 wrote:I know most people say start out on a 250 or 500 but i know i will get bored with them in a week.
No, you won't.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

Sandibeach
Regular
Regular

#13 Unread post by Sandibeach »

Aside from the fact you want a 600 cc sport bike, have you checked out insurance rates... I can't imagine it's pretty... 16 years old male on a sport bike? I know many young kids who have to get smaller cc bikes, since they don't want to be paying $350 a month in insurance.

When I took my MSF course, I was the second youngest at 33. Most were well into their 40's and 50's easily. And the insurance on their bikes (which were beginner type) was easily $1000 and up. They were looking at 500cc ish bikes.

Safe driving!
2007 Honda CBR125

HB Hemi
Rookie
Rookie

#14 Unread post by HB Hemi »

My recommendation is to seriously look at a Ninja 250. Take a few minutes and read this ride report written by a guy who has traveled tens of thousands of miles, ridden many bikes and regularly rides a Hyabusa.

http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread ... =ninja+250
2003 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior

[url=http://rswarrior.com]RSWarrior[/url]

strohS
Veteran
Veteran

#15 Unread post by strohS »

get what you want and make sure your happy with it.
Last edited by strohS on Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#16 Unread post by Johnj »

People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Septimus
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F800ST

#17 Unread post by Septimus »

No one here supports thrill seeking young guns.
A lot of people here ARE thrill-seeking young guns. They just aren't in their mid-teens with a need to go 120+ mph in their first week.

What a lot of us don't support are people with an inflated opinion of their own ability who put others at risk. That gives everybody a bad rep (we all look the same to the rest of the world) and you are far more likely to get yourself seirously injured than most.

I'm in my twenties. If you want to race around on a deserted highway and do wheelies in your first season of owning a motorcycle, that's cool with me. I fully support your freedom to do what you want with your own self. The moment you behave that way on a public road with other vehicles or pedestrians, you are not only putting them at enormous risk, you're making everybody here look exactly like the irresponsible no funs that the rest of the world already thinks we are.

So let's not pretend we're spoilsports. We just don't want some newbie (and I am one myself) ruining it for everyone else.

strohS
Veteran
Veteran

#18 Unread post by strohS »

Last edited by strohS on Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bachstrad37
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#19 Unread post by Bachstrad37 »

Anthony wrote:
I never said go out and wheelie in traffic and in playgrounds. Why is it assumed my intentions are destructive and irresponsible..
I fail to see where he targeted you specifically, Anthony. And no, I don't believe the members of this forum are against young thrill seekers. Majority of us were (and still are) young thrill seekers ourselves. However; we don't take stunting or reckless driving on public roads lightly - regardless of your age or style of bike used.

And for $700 a year full coverage on an R6 at 17, can you specify the specifics of your coverage? ie. State, bodily injury, driving record, title holder, etc?
2003 VN1500P Kawasaki Mean Streak
2009 Yamaha Nytro FX

Johnj
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#20 Unread post by Johnj »

I never said go out and wheelie in traffic and in playgrounds. Why is it assumed my intentions are destructive and irresponsible..

Properly started with the 185 mph story.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.