"False sense of security" - Superbikes

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#11 Unread post by Johnj »

strohS wrote:I see it like this... When you put all this gear on, subconsciously your telling yourself you'll be somewhat safe if you fall. If you don't wear anything, all the muscles and nerves are going to work harder then ever to keep you from falling.

-my 2 cents..

You've overpriced your opinion.

Last edited by Johnj on Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

TR7
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: 79 xs600

#12 Unread post by TR7 »

Its like sailors who cant swim. Theyll sure try to make sure that boat doesnt sink!

strohS
Veteran
Veteran

#13 Unread post by strohS »

--
Last edited by strohS on Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johnj
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#14 Unread post by Johnj »

People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#15 Unread post by jonnythan »

Anthony wrote:
TR7 wrote:Its like sailors who cant swim. Theyll sure try to make sure that boat doesnt sink!
Exactly, but if they can swim, they won't try as hard to keep it from sinking.

..Subconsciously if nothing else.
TR7's post was sarcastic.

Think whatever you want. We can't tell you what to believe. However, the idea you're adhering to is total BS. It's a well known fallacy, which is why TR7 was making fun of it.

I can't remember what it's called right now. I'm sure someone else will.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

strohS
Veteran
Veteran

#16 Unread post by strohS »

--
Last edited by strohS on Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Septimus
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F800ST

#17 Unread post by Septimus »

It's just good old-fashioned rationalization. Everybody does it with something, and even if you buy gear, you probably rationalized your decision to buy the $200 thingamabob over the $300 whoosit (or vice versa).

I just feel as though, if, in over 100 years of motorcycling, there was such a simple truth like "riding in your boxer shorts will make you more alert and aware and that contributes more to your safety than a suit of leathers" ... then it would be standard practice by now.

People have thought of all this stuff before. They've tried it. There are labs full of people whose job it is just to experiment on things like this. There was an enormous study done in the 80s of motorcycle accidents, injuries, and deaths that can tell you a lot (but not all) of what you need to know.

If wearing less gear was safer, then we would see more injuries and fatalities on bikes among people in full gear, because of the false sense of security Anthony suggests they have. This is simply not the case. Hey, I'd rather keep my $1000 than spend it on gear I don't need. If there was evidence suggesting that I could get by without it, you better believe I'd post it here, 'cause I could take that grand and spend a week in the Bahamas rather than having a jacket, boots, gloves (two pairs - tore up the first on my first day), pants, a helmet, a spare shield, a box of ear plugs, et cetera et cetera.

The world Anthony describes is an appealing one. We could all ride at supersonic speeds wearing whatever the heck we want and we'd be "safer." Too bad it's just not like that.

strohS
Veteran
Veteran

#18 Unread post by strohS »

--
Last edited by strohS on Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

strohS
Veteran
Veteran

#19 Unread post by strohS »

--
Last edited by strohS on Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Septimus
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F800ST

#20 Unread post by Septimus »

You have no idea how safe it is.
I realize this was half tongue-in-cheek, but even so, you are mistaking anectodal evidence for actual evidence.

No, of course I have never ridden in boxer shorts. I've also never driven a car without doors, lights, or a windshield but I have a pretty good notion that it's a bad idea.

If you don't care at all about what the pros have learned through hours and hours of studies and thousands of dollars spent in pursuit of what, exactly, is good for people, then what are you doing here, dude? People on this forum will try promote what is "accepted" based on years of experience -- theirs and everyone else's -- and not just some idea they had the other day that they think is pretty funny or that enables their bad behavior.