Gui
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Beginner with a V-star 1100cc !!!!

#1 Unread post by Gui »

Hi,

I would appreciate a few lines/comments on the following question:

What is a Yamaha V-star 1100cc for a new biker, who has minor experience on a dirt bike and a ride on a 4 wheeler?

I know what you're going to answer, but I need to have this on black and white from others to show my 44 year old daughter, who does not know if this bike is automatic or has gears to shift. That tells you something. She is buying this bike and will pick it it up this Thursday.

I myself drove 650cc scooter in my early twenties and am back to the 400cc Yamaha Majesty. I know what it is like, but she doesn't know a thing.

I have nightmares about it, as you may well understand. I need a reply fast, so I may be able to stop her from killing herself.
HELP!!
Thank you so kindly.

Gui

PioneerUrban
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2005 Honda Rebel

#2 Unread post by PioneerUrban »

If she wants to ride, tell her to come to this forum and do some MAJOR research!

A 1100cc is WAAAAY too powerful for her to start with.

I just moved up to a 250 cc Ninja, from a 125cc Eliminator.

There are many experts on here that will tell her not to buy too much bike and they will be right.

For her sake, I hope that she reconsiders this purchase.

Good Luck!
Current Ride:

2005 Honda Rebel 250

Used to own:

1992 Kawasaki Ninja 250: Sold
2001 Kawasaki Eliminator 125: Sold

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

Re: Beginner with a V-star 1100cc !!!!

#3 Unread post by ceemes »

Gui wrote:Hi,

I would appreciate a few lines/comments on the following question:

What is a Yamaha V-star 1100cc for a new biker, who has minor experience on a dirt bike and a ride on a 4 wheeler?

I know what you're going to answer, but I need to have this on black and white from others to show my 44 year old daughter, who does not know if this bike is automatic or has gears to shift. That tells you something. She is buying this bike and will pick it it up this Thursday.

I myself drove 650cc scooter in my early twenties and am back to the 400cc Yamaha Majesty. I know what it is like, but she doesn't know a thing.

I have nightmares about it, as you may well understand. I need a reply fast, so I may be able to stop her from killing herself.
HELP!!
Thank you so kindly.

Gui
How much life insurance does she have and can you have her sign it over to me? Also, is her organ donor card up to date?

Only the lowest commission chasing sales rep would even suggest any 1100CC bike be it sport, dual sport, cruiser, or standard as a good starter bike.

I rode for over ten years before I got wiped out, 8 of those years I was down courier working in every condition imaginable year round. 13 years after getting wiped out, I started riding again, and though hell, I could just jump back on a 1100 no sweat.....wrooooongggg.........the 750 I have is more then enough for me to handle and relearn on, and if I was smarter, I would of gone for something smaller, say a 80's model Honda CB650 custom.

Tell your daughter for me that I think she is completely crazy to be jumping on an 1100CC right from the get go. She would be better off starting with something like a 500CC standard......after all she has got to learn to crawl before she can walk, and walk before she can run......
Always ask why.

roscowgo
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#4 Unread post by roscowgo »

What they said. Power to weight is an insidious thing. 100 hp on a civic...thats not so bad. 100 hp on something that weighs a third of that, takes lots of practice to truly "master" if such a thing is possible,

Try to talk her into an msf course. It's not much compared with the cost of a new bike. ... maybe the cost of a tire. And is probably the best safety gear you can buy.

MicheleZ
Elite
Elite

Re: Beginner with a V-star 1100cc !!!!

#5 Unread post by MicheleZ »

Has she taken the MSF course? Does she have the motorcycle license endorsement? The fact that she doesn't even know that the bike "has gears to shift" is pretty telling and not a good sign - she sounds like she is completely uninformed. I would have suggested a much smaller and lighter bike like a Honda VLX 600 if she wants to stay with a cruiser. She is going to have to spend a great deal of time in a parking lot before she can even think about hitting the road on this bike. She is a major accident waiting to happen.

Loonette
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#6 Unread post by Loonette »

I'm always a bit irritated when a very young person gets involved in motorcycling, yet does it without even a clue as to what it takes to get a bike registered, insured, getting themselves licensed, trained, or what type of bike is right for them. But I almost expect it out of a young person - they have not yet had a lot of time on this Earth to gain wisdom and experience.

However, I'm terrified to be on the road with a 44-year-old person who should know how to research and explore her options in the world. It's not so much the size of bike that concerns me, but her apparent lack of common sense to properly educate herself about motorcycling in general. I fear that she is indeed a crash just waiting to happen. Hopefully nobody else will be involved when it happens.

I have no other advice than what's been given already - suggest some training, read through some websites (like this one) or magazines to get some background of different bikes, etc... My main suggestion for you would be to implore her to do some research on her own - she'll be a better and more empowered rider if she feels like she did things on her own instead of being told what to do by someone else. Best of luck to her.

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#7 Unread post by jonnythan »

Putting a 44 year old woman on an 1100cc cruiser with no prior motorcycle experience is extremely dangerous.

I'd say that she will probably wreck and hurt or kill herself - and quite possibly someone else as well.

Have her sign up for an MSF or Riders Edge class to get a little experience on motorcycles. That way she'll have a clue when she goes to buy a bike.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

Texfire
Elite
Elite

#8 Unread post by Texfire »

Is she actually open to discussion on it? Reading between the lines, it sounds like she's made up her mind and you're going to be wasting your breath.

If it's an impulse purchase, maybe it's not the message, but the messenger. If she has a history of disagreements with you then it you might not be the right person to get through to her. Or maybe you need to reevaluate how you do so. She's an adult and needs to know that you respect that even if you don't agree with the logic of her choice. If you play the parent card you may stampede her right to the choice you don't want.

If she has an open mind then point her to the right resources. Send her here and point out that there's a ladies forum where she can get advice from other women who have "been there and done that". Encourage her to take a MSF course, either the BRC or ERC. Present it as something you want to do and are inviting her to join you. Good luck, I hope that your daughter has a safe and enjoyable riding career.

Tex

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#9 Unread post by jonnythan »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZlAPD67jfQ

This is probably how her first ride will go.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#10 Unread post by Brackstone »

jonnythan wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZlAPD67jfQ

This is probably how her first ride will go.
:laughing:
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)