You guys are rough on newbies

Septimus
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F800ST

#21 Unread post by Septimus »

I was thinking about something related to this thread the other day. About how people have preconceived notions about certain groups of people.

The big one for me is an actor. Depending on who I'm talking to, I'll introduce myself as a small business owner (which is true) rather than an actor because I don't want to have to explain how I'm not [insert whatever some six figure lawyer thinks of irresponsible people who pursue careers they like -- with apologies to lawyers out there who don't do this]

This isn't really a big problem, though, because I don't wear a huge hat on my head that says HI I AM AN ACTOR.

but everybody on this forum does (though hopefully it doesn't say 'HI I AM AN ACTOR' on it).

Everytime somebody goes out on a bike, it what we do and how we behave affects those preconceived notions. I think most people probably don't really care what some stranger thinks of them, but given the chance, if you could say or do something to prevent some squid from doing something stupid that will reflect poorly on them and on us (and possibly cause harm to them or someone else), wouldn't you do it?

Even if it meant being a little blunt?

I'd rather offend someone if offending them might also plant the seed of doubt in their mind that maybe they don't know everything they think they know. I've been devouring these forums, several books, and other riders (they go well with strawberries) for the last six weeks and any one of the pros around here has everything I know about motorcycles in their pinky.

HI I AM A MOTORCYCLIST. please don't make me look worse than I already make myself look.
2007 BMW F800ST

zed
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#22 Unread post by zed »

OK, here's the deal. Most of the members on this site are stand up people.If they seem rude it's only because they are trying to give you advice so that you don't make typical noob mistakes. We all think we are the exception to the rule. We all think we can handle a litre sport-bike or a large cruiser right out of the box. Yes, the odd person has the innate skill or wisdom to do so, but the fact is most of us do not, therefore the standard advise is to start small. The other thing to remember is that no matter what bike you do buy, new or used, it will not be your last. The moral of the story is listen to the advice and make your own decision, but listen to your big head and not your little one.
Having said all that, I'm a Contrarian (someone who goes against the flow), I ride a Vulcan 500, one of the smallest cruiser you can find, and I don't care what anyone else thinks,I ride what I want to ride.
Last edited by zed on Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
I always follow the rules.
The only exception to the rule occurs when I make an exception to the rule not to make an exception to the rule and that only occurs under exceptional circumstances.

2005 Vulcan 500 LTD

RideYourRide
Elite
Elite

#23 Unread post by RideYourRide »

jjp735i wrote:I know all the experience riders are just looking out for us, but sometimes the replies just seem rude.
This place is as polite as any message board I have ever seen, if not more so. Myself excluded, obviously.
canuckerjay wrote:I personally think the vstar 650 is pathetically slow. Around here, one of the most prominant volume of ads in the bike trader is for Vstar 650s. Most cruiser riders get sick of a bike with 40 horsepower.
With about two exceptions, comparing the speed and power of cruisers is comparing flavors of slow. I'd say weight was a bigger consideration for a new rider then power in the case of cruisers.
[img]http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/1189/newsig2al8.jpg[/img]
98 VFR, 07 200 XC-W, 86 RM125, 88 VTR250 project bike
motorcycle vlogs: http://livevideo.com/rideyourride

IndependenceDave
Rookie
Rookie

#24 Unread post by IndependenceDave »

I just started riding at the beginning of the summer and bought a V-Star 650 custom and I have to say that I love it. It is great for cruising around town. I will say that now that I have a few months under my belt I do wish it had more power on the highways, but overall I am satisfied. It looks good and the price was very affordable. Also Insurance is very cheap.
Yamaha 650 V-Star Custom
My first street bike and I love every minute of it.

flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

#25 Unread post by flw »

Sometimes people tend to be more to the point on life saving issues i.e. the 600cc sport bike thing. Its to hopefully save a new riders life which is more important than feelings which can heal.

Also like anywhere, everyone has good and bad days and it may come out harsher than it should but mostly is still correct. Yes there are trolls everywhere on any topic in a forum on the net. It the were all anonymous (somewhat) to other regular users.

Just my 2 cents.
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

Randy
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 2007/Honda/CBR1000

#26 Unread post by Randy »

I would think it would be better for us to be hard on you, than the pavement being hard on you...

My parents used to spank me, I dont get mad at them for that. In fact I NEEDED it!

I promise not to spank you.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer Simpson
05 Yamaha VMAX
04 Suzuki SV650
05 Suzuki RMZ450

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#27 Unread post by ceemes »

rough on newbies (and retreads such as myself)? Yup, we can be, but considered a form of tough love........better to hurt someones feelings and deflat their ego a bit then to have to read that they got hurt on the road.
Always ask why.

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#28 Unread post by ofblong »

Septimus wrote:riders (they go well with strawberries) for the last six weeks and any one of the pros around here has everything I know about motorcycles in their pinky.

HI I AM A MOTORCYCLIST. please don't make me look worse than I already make myself look.
mmmm stttraaaawwwbbeeerrriiieeesss. I used to be allergic to strawberry's till I was about 2 years old.

+1 to what everyone else said. We arent harsh/mean we just act like loving parents do with their children and try to explain "why" they should or should not or can or can not do something. You may not like it now but down the road a few years your going to say "it wasnt that bad and now I understand why I was told the way I was".
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

darsek
Elite
Elite

#29 Unread post by darsek »

It seems alot of newbies write about not wanting to deal with the "hassle" of upgrading in a year, therefore they need a bigger/faster/sexier bike to keep them interested..."not bored". Well I bought a used Ninja 500 to start with which was a perfect beginner bike then a year later I traded it in for a used Kawi Z750S which is a great second bike. No hassle. It was really extremely easy. :)

PioneerUrban
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2005 Honda Rebel

#30 Unread post by PioneerUrban »

The people on this board have always gone out of their way to be extremely helpful.

I'm sorry that you feel this way, OP. But, if you're taking the responses as rude, maybe this isn't the place for you.

BTW, you can't see someone's expression, just by a few words on a message board.

Don't take it personal.
Current Ride:

2005 Honda Rebel 250

Used to own:

1992 Kawasaki Ninja 250: Sold
2001 Kawasaki Eliminator 125: Sold