You guys are rough on newbies

jjp735i
Rookie
Rookie

You guys are rough on newbies

#1 Unread post by jjp735i »

I know all the experience riders are just looking out for us, but sometimes the replies just seem rude.

I am a newbie, have my MSP course scheduled for Sept. I plan on getting a vstar classic over the winter months. I see alot of riders on here beleive a 650 might be to big for a beginner, but I know quit a few experience riders say if I get a smaller bike, that I will sure what to upgrade in a year. I don't want the hassle of buying and selling a bike in a year. I ride a Yamaha 750 virago now. I'm very carefull and only ride in the park and around my house.

I understand alot of riders are just trying to look out the newbie, but not all of us have the means to buy and sell. Most older used bikes you need cash to buy and alot of us would rather buy new. Buying a used bike is just like buying a used car. No matter how well it's gone over, you never can tell what's it's been through. I guess I'm also lucky, I have many 20 plus years experience riders helping me along.

Just my thoughts. jjp

Fast Eddy B
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 02 Fazer FZS600

#2 Unread post by Fast Eddy B »

Nice. And?
02 Fazer 600

Veda
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#3 Unread post by Veda »

I think you have misunderstood the advice here. Most of the people referring to 600 or 650 cc limits are talking about sport bikes - not cruisers.

Ian522
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#4 Unread post by Ian522 »

Its not that we are rough on newbies, we just speak the truth and are pretty upfront. The reason alot of us say to buy used, and get a small, beginner-friendly bike, etc. for your first ride is because we learned from our own experiances and are trying to pass the info on to new riders. But there are always some new riders who think they are the exception to the rule and will want to go against the grain.

Personally I think the v-star 650 is a perfectly fine beginner bike. But I wouldnt have advised buying one brand new since you are likely to tip it over at least once. You might want to put a crash bar on the bike just for some extra insurance.

And I wouldnt do any serious riding until taking the MSF course. The whole idea of the course is that you start to build proper riding habits and safety training from "scratch".

jjp735i
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by jjp735i »

I do like the that you guys are up front and truthful. I guess I have used alot of advice here over the last 4 months. Guess that's why I'm riding a 88 750 yamaha.

jjp

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#6 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Personally I think the V-star 650 is too slow. It just doesn't have the grunt that it should. I say if you want to keep small look at a Vulcan 500 and if you want to go big consider up to 800-900ccs for a cruiser.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#7 Unread post by Shorts »

Ian said it well.

As for buying new/used, I don't go for that bologna about why someone "needs" to buy new. I have never bought a new vehicle or bike in my life and every single one of them has been tremendously reliable, and for what I do to them, extremely faithful. I have a hard time letting my rides go. The point is to know what you're looking for. If you don't find out before you go or listen to people who already know.

KingRobb
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 25
My Motorcycle: 2004 HD Road King

#8 Unread post by KingRobb »

btw there is no crying in motorcycling
Dyin'? Boy, he can have this little life any time he wants to. Do ya hear that? Are ya hearin' it? Come on. You're welcome to it, ol' timer. Let me know you're up there. Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything. Just let me know it.

-Cool Hand Luke

canuckerjay
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#9 Unread post by canuckerjay »

I personally think the vstar 650 is pathetically slow. Around here, one of the most prominant volume of ads in the bike trader is for Vstar 650s. Most cruiser riders get sick of a bike with 40 horsepower. They quickely want more. Better to get something a bit bigger and treat it with utmost respect while learning how to handle it. Not an R1 or anything, but for a cruiser, you could go bigger.
Wherever you may roam
May you own your road.

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#10 Unread post by jonnythan »

I have to go try out a V-Star 650. It's supposedly the successor to the Virago 535, but I have no problems at all with my Virago in the speed department. It's on the interstate at 75 mph every day with no problems and plenty of acceleration left. I've taken it up to about 93 on a long, straight, empty stretch of highway before I got paranoid about cops and dialed it back. I go into 5th gear around 55-60. I can't imagine that a newer bike with a 20% bigger engine is slower than my bike, so what's the real problem?
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]