Dealer's won't sell me the bike that I want

falcon93
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

Dealer's won't sell me the bike that I want

#1 Unread post by falcon93 »

I am a new, inexperienced rider. I'm 36, live in Southern California. I have decided that a Yamaha Virago 250 is the right bike for me to learn on. I have taken and passed the BRC and now have my "M" endorsement on my license. I have looked at used bikes and don't necessarily want to buy a bike that is only a few hundred dollars cheaper than new, without warranty, possible maintenance issues, etc. The dealers in this area have told me that because I will "outgrow" this size of bike in a couple of months, that they will not sell me anything smaller than a 900 cc cruiser.

My plan is to buy a small bike to learn on (as is the advice I have received from numerous others). Then after a year or two (depending more on confidence and experience than timeline) upgrade to a larger bike. How can I get a dealer to sell me what I want vs. what they want??? Also, anyone have any suggestions on how to get a bike transported to your house once purchased since I don't yet have the experience to be riding on the hwys and freeways from the dealership to home??? Thanks in advance for your help!
2007 Yamaha Virago 250

John
http://www.antelopevalleyoil.com

Sit tall in the saddle, Hold your head up high,
Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky,
And live like you ain't afraid to die, Don't be scared just enjoy your ride.

canuckerjay
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#2 Unread post by canuckerjay »

I've never heard of a dealer refusing to make a sale on that basis. Have you just been 'window shopping' and they've recommended going bigger? I've had that happen numerous times. . .

But I can't beleive that if you had the money ready to buy and pointed, saying "that one, and only that one" that the dealer would say "No, I don't want to make that sale."

As for getting it home, ride it, (I'd think if you have taken the MSF course you could take it to a parking lot, spend a bit on it and then take it home), have a friend ride it or have them deliver it.
Wherever you may roam
May you own your road.

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#3 Unread post by Brackstone »

Isn't that like a bait and switch? Or am I not interpreting this law correctly?
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

Pyre
Regular
Regular

#4 Unread post by Pyre »

You can trailer it home. I had a specific break in routine I wanted to follow with my new bike, and that routine did not include droning down the highway for 45 miles.

UHaul rents a motorcycle trailer for $15 per day. Get some ratcheting tie downs and you are set.

falcon93
Regular
Regular

#5 Unread post by falcon93 »

canuckerjay wrote:I've never heard of a dealer refusing to make a sale on that basis. Have you just been 'window shopping' and they've recommended going bigger? I've had that happen numerous times. . .

But I can't beleive that if you had the money ready to buy and pointed, saying "that one, and only that one" that the dealer would say "No, I don't want to make that sale."

As for getting it home, ride it, (I'd think if you have taken the MSF course you could take it to a parking lot, spend a bit on it and then take it home), have a friend ride it or have them deliver it.
I already have the finances lined up and told the dealer that and he told me that he wouldn't sell me that bike. I really can't believe it. I almost want to go back and tell him that he misunderstood me and that the bike is for my kid or wife, etc. But I am a very honest person and can't see having that type of relationship. I know that I will be buying another bike in a couple of years and I want a place that I can go when that time comes.
2007 Yamaha Virago 250

John
http://www.antelopevalleyoil.com

Sit tall in the saddle, Hold your head up high,
Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky,
And live like you ain't afraid to die, Don't be scared just enjoy your ride.

Mean KaNean
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: 2008 Suzuki GSXR-600

#6 Unread post by Mean KaNean »

That's just weird. I can see the dealers point of wanting to sell you a more expensive bike, but if I were your dealer I'd take advantage of the fact that you knew you were wanting a starter bike and would be back for some thing bigger in the future. That's two sales compared to just one. What they're doing makes no sense to me. I'd take my business else where.
No one's as mean as Mean KaNean

matthew5656
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda VTR

#7 Unread post by matthew5656 »

I would contact the dealership's floor manager and reveal the salesman's denial of sale. If for any reason they will not sell you the bike after your second request, I would threaten to take my business else where and be sure to let them know your plan to buy a larger bike sooner or later.

With no surprise at all, many dealers have attempted to up-sell me to a larger bike on several occasions. But I would be dumb founded if I pointed out a bike that I wanted and were willing to pay for and find that a salesman would not follow through with the sale.

Good luck!

tropicalhotdog
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#8 Unread post by tropicalhotdog »

Tell the crazy dealer that you are going to buy the Virago (a nice bike, by the way) either from him or someone else, and like Matthew suggests, you should ask to see the manager and ask him why his dealership is refusing to sell you a bike as you would like to make a formal complaint about their business practices to the Dept. Consumer Affairs and to the Yamaha Motor Corporation Regional Sales Rep (800-962-7926) , who'd be interested to know that the dealership is trying to talk customers out of buying one of their bikes.
2007 Suzuki C50T
2006 Vespa LX150
2000 Honda Rebel

Randy
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 2007/Honda/CBR1000

#9 Unread post by Randy »

Sounds weird to me. I work at a dealership, and we are more than happy to sell you a bike. Especially a Rebel or Nighthawk. I have seen people in as little as a week, "outgrow" the bike and come back and buy a new one.

Me personally, I would love the opportunity to sell you every single model we have on the floor, starting with the smallest or biggest, you choose!

I would guess you have a lazy sales dude or chick.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer Simpson
05 Yamaha VMAX
04 Suzuki SV650
05 Suzuki RMZ450

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#10 Unread post by Brackstone »

tropicalhotdog wrote:Tell the crazy dealer that you are going to buy the Virago (a nice bike, by the way) either from him or someone else, and like Matthew suggests, you should ask to see the manager and ask him why his dealership is refusing to sell you a bike as you would like to make a formal complaint about their business practices to the Dept. Consumer Affairs and to the Yamaha Motor Corporation Regional Sales Rep (800-962-7926) , who'd be interested to know that the dealership is trying to talk customers out of buying one of their bikes.
I agree with this, take things to Yamaha directly and tell them they are trying to force you into a bike you don't feel comfortable with. I'm sure Yamaha doesn't want their company on a news story inc ase anything bad happens to you.
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)