How to brace yourself in an event of a crash?

Erg0n
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: 2007 Kawasaki 650R

How to brace yourself in an event of a crash?

#1 Unread post by Erg0n »

When you are about to crash what's the best body position to try and get into when sliding on the ground?

Is it better to try and slide of your back, side or front. where do you keep your arms and legs? I know when youre in a car and it starts to roll over you cross your arms and hold onto your shoulders with your hands (holding the wheel can break your thumbs, saw this in a rally car tv show once)

Just would like to know in case the unthinkable happens
[size=59] A totality of numerous objects that coruscate or are refulgent are not necessarily composed entirely of auriferous substances.
[/size]

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2020 KTM 200 Duke

#2 Unread post by Gadjet »

don't tense up. let your body relax and go limp - you are less likely to break any bones this way.

try to slide on your back and let your arms and legs slide along with you
1983 Suzuki GS650GL (sold)
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953
IG: @greenmanwc

Super Dave
Veteran
Veteran

#3 Unread post by Super Dave »

Little advice...don't grab the front brake!! I still have a tendency to reach for it when I have to unexpectedly brake :oops:
2001 Ninja 500R....Purple

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#4 Unread post by mgdavis »

Use both brakes. 70% of your stopping power is in the front brake. The key is not to jam on the front brake, squeeze the lever.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject.
Molon Labe!!!

Flesher
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#5 Unread post by Flesher »

** I hate posts like I just made here, so if crash details bother you, please ignore and move past this. I made an exception cause it may help someone **

If you have one of those motorcycles that has a seat sloping down towards the gas tank, and the gas tank sits high, in essence makig a V shape with you sitting in the middle of the V, (an SV650 is styled like this), you may want to consider standing on the pegs so you can be thrown clear (use your judgement here).

I have two friends that crashed on bikes styled that way, and because of the position of the seat and the tank they were forced into the tank separating their pelvis in two from the center on out, and then tossed clear. One of them had his pelvis broken wide enough that they were unabe to bring it back fully together in the center before bolting it.

I don't know if the styling of the bike is really the reason, but judging by the style of the bike, the condition of the tank (squeezed on both sides) after the accidents, and what these guys remember of their crash we came to the conclusion that less severe injuries would have been sustained if not for the bike getting in the way. Amateur sleuthing ... YMMV
Last edited by Flesher on Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RideYourRide
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by RideYourRide »

Can't say I've crashed a street bike. Crashed plenty on the dirt bike though. It's usually the same story once you cross that "not coming back" line- a mad scramble to get clear of the bike and whatever you're about to splat into, followed by some bouncing and rolling :laughing:

I would say that this question is sort of pointless because if you have enough time to actually do something about how you intend to crash, then you have enough time to do something about NOT crashing. The one that hurts is the one you don't see coming.
Super Dave wrote:Little advice...don't grab the front brake!! I still have a tendency to reach for it when I have to unexpectedly brake :oops:
This is the worst advice ever.
[img]http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/1189/newsig2al8.jpg[/img]
98 VFR, 07 200 XC-W, 86 RM125, 88 VTR250 project bike
motorcycle vlogs: http://livevideo.com/rideyourride

shane-o
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 17
My Motorcycle: VTR1000

#7 Unread post by shane-o »

dont crash.

Most of my worry isnt hitting the deck, or even throwing my bike down the road, my major concern about fooking up to the point of comming off is, what am i going to hit while sliding and rolling down the road, and what is about to hit me, and neither do you have a say in it when your out of the seat and heading roadward.

dont crash
[url=http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ragingtux.jpg][img]http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6403/ragingtux.th.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7103/thhitlerbx91kg4.gif[/img][/url]
By [url=http://profile.imageshack.us/user/su_tux]su_tux[/url]

av8r
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 2005 Ducati ST3

#8 Unread post by av8r »

Super Dave wrote:Little advice...don't grab the front brake!! I still have a tendency to reach for it when I have to unexpectedly brake :oops:
This is precisely why you should never rely on the internet for advice.
This quote contradicts every qualified expert in the training business.
Practice emegency stops in a safe evironment (parking lot, deserted street) until it becomes second nature.
Trust me, you won't have time to plan your flying style if you do come off your bike.
Prevention is the key.
Last edited by av8r on Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Murphy's First Proof:
In the beginning there was nothing... which exploded

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

Oh, how I hate this kind of post.

#9 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Okay.

Obviously you have never ridden or taken the MSF. I really hate this kind of post.

Now. That said. It is REALLY REALLY REALLY important to NOT think this way as a street rider. Its fine on dirt. But on the street, your utmost focus must always be to RIDE THE BIKE. Never consider 'bailing out.' You see, what often happens is that riders forget that a motorcycle has the tools to evade or STOP quickly enough to nearly ALWAYS avoid crashing.

The key is the RIDER. When you have in your head, "How to bail" then you occupy your mind with that, instead of "How to evade." A motorcycle has seveveral key advantages in crash avoidance: Light weight, means that ALL WHEEL braking is much more effective than a car. Two wheels, means that you can lean and swerve AROUND a suddenly stopped car or other obstacle. Light weight means greater acceleration thrust for getting out of someone's way fast.

Old timers riders have a mantra: No matter what happens, NEVER stop riding the bike. Physics will keep you upright and in a straight line, even after you've plowed THRU a deer and severely damaged the bike(I've seen the video). Practiced, HARD braking can stop you inches from the fender of that car - but you've got to stay on board to operate the bike.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#10 Unread post by jonnythan »

"Don't grab the front brake" is great advice.

You want to USE the front brake, but suddenly grabbing a handful of it in a panic is a great way to lock the front wheel and hit the ground hard.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]