New-to-the-site n' Got Some Questions!

Slap-Bassist531
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

New-to-the-site n' Got Some Questions!

#1 Unread post by Slap-Bassist531 »

Hey guys I'm new here and I've talked to my dad about motorcycles (he's got alot of experience and he's ridden since he was a kid) and im 13 14 soon and I've always been into motorcycles my whole life. I've been riding dirtbikes ever since I was 8 years old and I've always loved it and i found out that in Tennessee you can get your motorcycle license at 14. So I've talked to my dad and I asked him if a 600cc bike was too big for my experience level (Since ive been riding bikes alot of my like and ive ridden up to a 250) and he said I would most likely be able to handle it. I was personally wondering if a Yamaha R6 would be too big for me? I'm 5'9''-5'10'' and I weigh about 150 and I mean im not like skinny because I actualyl have muscle (like for keeping the bike up etc.) So do you guys think that the Yamaha would be too big for me? I test rode a '96 Katana 600cc and it a good thing for me (moms friend owned one). thanks
Have a good time ALL the time

bigswifty
Elite
Elite

#2 Unread post by bigswifty »

wondering if a Yamaha R6 would be too big for me?
whooo- that's alot of machine! whatever you do be careful for chrissakes....

Slap-Bassist531
Veteran
Veteran

#3 Unread post by Slap-Bassist531 »

f8aw8su wrote:
wondering if a Yamaha R6 would be too big for me?
whooo- that's alot of machine! whatever you do be careful for chrissakes....
of course ill be safe i mean i have sense haha but i mean what do u think would be a good starter bike for me because im not realyl into cruisers as much as im into sportbikes i mean i like the OCC choppers n that stuff but you know what i mean. I haven't been able to give onea test ride but i have sat on one and it is comfortable for me but i know about all sportbikes are that size (like around 33 inches high and like 15 or so inches thick) so just can someone recommend a good size? thanks and sorry if it seems like im just talking about random stuff

Toyuzu
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 15
My Motorcycle: 1981 Honda CX 500 Custom

#4 Unread post by Toyuzu »

Slap,

Please start out on something with a little less power. An R6 is not a beginner bike, dude. It's too much bike for most people, even experienced riders. The R6 is way faster than the fastest bike in the world 20 years ago. (GSXR 1100) I seriously doubt anyone would have recommended that as a beginner bike either.
[i]Only the dead have seen the end of war. (Plato)[/i]

bigswifty
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by bigswifty »

check out this thread viewtopic.php?t=100

basically any motorcycle w/more than 250 cc can provide some pretty intense acceleration.(hell, even a ninja 250 does 0-60 in just over 5 seconds..) What i like about my bike (650 nighthawk) is that you have to deliberately rake the coals to get her to go. As a novice i think this is a good feature, since i'm really focusing on basic control skills and traffic management. The last thing I (or you) need is a race bike with a mind of its own.

Snake
Veteran
Veteran

#6 Unread post by Snake »

well, any one can handle an R6, if they are VERY carefull. (Don't flame yet). but you cannot learn properly by holding your self back, in fact it would be pretty overwhelming, constantly making micro-ajustments on the throttle and the bike aswell. and any mistake that a new to street rider makes on those things is multiplyed by 4 is the consecuinces. Which is why they are experienced rider only bikes.

~Snake
~Snake

Gilfy650a
Elite
Elite
Location: Northern Kentucky, "Like the rest of KY only better"

#7 Unread post by Gilfy650a »

My friend Jessica just bought a 250 Ninja, and i'm pretty jealous i really like those bikes.

i would suggest you get one of those to start on if you like sportbikes. I would totally have got one if i had not found the Nighthawk, Look for a 250 Ninja man, you'll be the coolest thing on 2 wheels!
Last edited by Gilfy650a on Fri May 20, 2005 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently Bikeless

SUPER AWESOME VILLAINS FOREVER!!

Its settled Suzuki SV650 as next bike. :D

New_R
Regular
Regular

#8 Unread post by New_R »

Slap- you may want to check this out...

http://driversed.com/driverseducation_s ... icense.asp

According to this you need to be at least 15 to get an Instructional Permit.

Gilfy650a
Elite
Elite
Location: Northern Kentucky, "Like the rest of KY only better"

#9 Unread post by Gilfy650a »

Yeah freakin hot. :D
Currently Bikeless

SUPER AWESOME VILLAINS FOREVER!!

Its settled Suzuki SV650 as next bike. :D

Slap-Bassist531
Veteran
Veteran

#10 Unread post by Slap-Bassist531 »

New_R wrote:Slap- you may want to check this out...

http://driversed.com/driverseducation_s ... icense.asp

According to this you need to be at least 15 to get an Instructional Permit.
i heard from alot of my friends n one of there parents and then he showd me this site http://www.state.tn.us/safety/driverlicense/dlfees.htm and on the type M it says minimum age is like 14 and i aim to call them sometime n check out the whole deal

also for the 250 i mean ive ridden quite abit of 250 bikes n i mean i know there fast but i also plan to have the bike for like 2-4 years (to then probably get a better bike and hopefully someday a hayabusa) and i wonder would a kawasaki 500 be too big then? is it like twice the power of the 250 ? thanks and dont like flame me or anything im kinda gettin new to the license deal

also (sry im editn so much lol) but that site is for car and car and motorcycle license are different but u can get a license taht has them both.... i was also wondering the MSF course(i think thats it) like do u take it after or before u get ur license and what all do u need to bring to it and if any of u are from TN could u tell me where one is around the Knoxville area?